Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:12 PM   #1

I am trying to decide between these two cameras.

I have an N70 and some Nikor lenses that that go with my FM body and they should fit the D40 cameras. I know they aren't autofocus but that's okay.

I shoot quite a wide variety of photos from action to close-ups. Lately most seem to be of my two young sons.

Anyone used Nikor lenses on the D40's and what were your results?

Does the focus ring show up in the viewfinder?

Thanks in advance.

Ray
ironalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2007, 3:10 PM   #2
Administrator

ironalek wrote:
Quote:
I have an N70 and some Nikor lenses that that go with my FM body and they should fit the D40 cameras. I know they aren't autofocus but that's okay.
The camera's meter won't work them if they're older MF lenses. So, you'd need use another camera or light meter to measure the lighting to set your aperture and shutter speed (or estimate it and take some test shots and tweak it until they are exposed right for a given lighting condition).

The least expensive current Nikon dSLR model that will meter with non-CPU lenses in the D200.

Here's a recent thread on this topic:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=66

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 3:13 PM   #3

Edit: I defer to JimC.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 5:54 PM   #4

ironalek-

I own both the Nikon D-40 and the D-40X. The D-40 at 6mp has just about the optimum number of pixels for that imager. I have found the D-40X to be much more noise prone than the D-40. Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 7:36 PM   #5

Thanks, Jim.

I had actually thought about the metering but forgot to put that in my post.

Sigh....
Old Sep 20, 2007, 7:38 PM   #6

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
ironalek-

I own both the Nikon D-40 and the D-40X. The D-40 at 6mp has just about the optimum number of pixels for that imager. I have found the D-40X to be much more noise prone than the D-40. Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce

Thanks, Sarah.

I am kind of surprised that you find more noise in the D40 since its ISO setting goes down to 100. Do you have someplace I could look at samples?

Ray
Old Sep 20, 2007, 7:57 PM   #7
Administrator

Right... no metering if you use older manual focus lenses on a D40 or D40x.

With newer Autofocus lenses you'd get metering (but, no Autofocus unless they're either Nikkor AF-S or Sigma HSM lenses).

As for your quote of Sarah... the D40x has more noise as ISO speeds are increased.

The D40 is more sensitive compared to the D40x. That's why it starts out at ISO 200 instead of ISO 100. ;-)

Higher noise levels as ISO speeds are increased is a tradeoff for putting more pixels into the same size sensor. In order to fit more of them in, they have to be smaller. So, each photosite has less surface area for gathering light (so the signal it generates is weaker, requiring more amplification for equivalent sensitivity to light).

As a result, at higher ISO speeds, the signal being generated by the sensor may not be very much above the noise floor of the electronics and other sources. So, when you amplify the sensor's signal, you also amplify the noise, sort of like turning up the volume on a weak radio station, only you get image noise, versus hum, static and hiss.

At lower ISO speeds, you probably won't see much difference. But, if you need to use higher ISO speeds, the D40 would have the advantage (and it's also got boost to ISO 3200 available, whereas the D40x is limited to 1600).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 10:08 AM   #8

Ray-

Take a look at www.pbase.com. You can pull up photo samples from just about any camera. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 5:17 AM   #9

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Right... no metering if you use older manual focus lenses on a D40 or D40x.

With newer Autofocus lenses you'd get metering (but, no Autofocus unless they're either Nikkor AF-S or Sigma HSM lenses).

As for your quote of Sarah... the D40x has more noise as ISO speeds are increased.

The D40 is more sensitive compared to the D40x. That's why it starts out at ISO 200 instead of ISO 100. ;-)

Higher noise levels as ISO speeds are increased is a tradeoff for putting more pixels into the same size sensor. In order to fit more of them in, they have to be smaller. So, each photosite has less surface area for gathering light (so the signal it generates is weaker, requiring more amplification for equivalent sensitivity to light).

As a result, at higher ISO speeds, the signal being generated by the sensor may not be very much above the noise floor of the electronics and other sources. So, when you amplify the sensor's signal, you also amplify the noise, sort of like turning up the volume on a weak radio station, only you get image noise, versus hum, static and hiss.

At lower ISO speeds, you probably won't see much difference. But, if you need to use higher ISO speeds, the D40 would have the advantage (and it's also got boost to ISO 3200 available, whereas the D40x is limited to 1600).
Thanks again, Jim.

I was leaning toward the higher MP's for printing larger photos but it seems I may be better off just sticking with the 6 MP's.

Gotta think abou this some more.

Old Sep 22, 2007, 5:19 AM   #10

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Ray-

Take a look at http://www.pbase.com. You can pull up photo samples from just about any camera. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

I already have a pbase account and have looked at the photos. It's hard to know what editing may have been done, though.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it.

Ray