Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 20, 2007, 1:20 PM   #1

Well I have had a Canon powershot S3IS for a while now. I would class myself as an amateur photographer who knows a bit about the basics and I would like to buy a decent camera and learn a lot more with a good piece of equipment.

Ideally I would like to spend anywhere in the region of £1,000 - £1,500 including a lense or two and accessories (at a push £2,000). I will be taking shots of entertainers in clubs and pubs a lot, and I live in the lake district so I will be taking landscapes and some wildlife shots too. When I feel ready I would like to get into wedding photography.

Anyway I have been looking around and reading reviews until I am dizzy lol. The cameras that have caught my eye so far are the Canon 40D and the Nikon D200 but I am still unsure, the Canon 5D looked good but lacked 'environmental seals'.

I just really want some opinions on a decent camera that fits my price range and needs.

Thoughts?
taylor3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2007, 4:54 PM   #2

wait for the D300.....

Then choose between Canon 5D and Nikon D300...
The Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 5:40 PM   #3

I suggest you set your sights a little bit lower for the camera, and get a good selection of quality lenses. Both Canon and Nikon have several to choose from. For "entertainers in clubs and pubs" you could get a good 50mm f/1.8 (but f/1.4 would be better) and an 85mm f/1.8. For landscapes maybe a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 or Sigma 18-50 f/2.8. For wildlife, maybe a Canon 70-200 f/4 or a Sigma 70-200 f/4 or 100-300 f/4. And, of course, a good flash. Many of these are available used in excellent condition, which will save you some money.

And maybe get a Nikon D80 or Canon 30D.If your career takes off, you can use it as a backup or second camera to the D300 or 40D you'll get later. Going from a Canon S3IS straight to a D200 or 40D is quite a leap.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 6:01 PM   #4

TCav wote:

Going from a Canon S3IS straight to a D200 or 40D is quite a leap.

It's true.....
The Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote