Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 21, 2007, 12:36 AM   #1

Hi ,

Recently i saw these 2 model in the market are quite good reviews and fit the prosumer DSLR-like ultrazoom user needs..

Which is the BEST choice? the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 or Fujifilm Finepix S9600?

Vote it and tell us why + the PRO + the CON
MacTreoUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2007, 2:36 AM   #2

It depends what you want to shoot pictures of in what kind of light.

Because of the long stabilized zoom, in bright sunlight, the FZ50 is probably better.

For the 28mm wide angle and low light performance, the S9100/9600 is better.

I like to shoot pictures in less than bright light, so I would pick the S9100/9600.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 3:54 AM   #3

Robbo,

Thanks for your idea.
Erm..actually while a cam c'ld shoot at the Low Light means day light will be OK.isn't it?
Thanks for your rating!!
Old Sep 21, 2007, 6:59 AM   #4

Fuji S9600/9100:
Pros - Wider lens, good performance at high ISO (for a small sensor digicam), good set of features, flash sync up to 1/1000 sec (not dedicated), generally good performance and natural colours, AA batteries with good battery life (with high capacity NiMH batteries), good price.
Cons - no stabilization, slow shooting rate especially in RAW format.

Pana FZ50:
Pros - great long stabilized lens, TTL external flash connection, very good LCD, great set of features and logical controls.
Cons - the lens is not really wide at the short end, quite a lot of noise above ISO200, high price (quite a bit more expensive than S9600).
If money is a problem, personally I would go for Fuji. If you can afford the price of the FZ50 - again this is only my personal opinion, Pentax K100D or Canon 350D with a kit lens for less or Sony A100 with it's 18-70mm kit lens for slightly more than FZ50 are a much better deal and the size is about the same (FZ50 isn't a pocket size camera :-))
Best regards,
Alex
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 11:18 AM   #5

hey Algold,

Thanks and appreciate so much.
Seems,Canon 350D is the highly recommeded with Kit Lens as well..
Is the Lens on 35-80mm?

Ya,Fuji S9600 own a Wide lens (28mm)
Old Sep 21, 2007, 12:59 PM   #6

The Canon kit lens is 18-55mm, which gives you a field of view of a 28-88 mm lens with crop factor. Minolta's kit lens has a field of view of a 27-105mm lens. Pentax and Minolta have in-camera image stabilization.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 3:18 PM   #7

I use the Fuji S-9100 and I love it. I use it mostly for shooting fire nd rescue footage and high school sports (great for football, cross country, softballand baseball)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Pros: AA batteries; hotshoe; good in ISO800 for doing high school football games (exceptable photos at 5 x 7 and 8 x 10 at 9 mega-pixel); can use both xD and CF memory cards and I know it will work with 4GB CF and 2GB xD cards which is a plus if your doing high school sports and need lost of available memory.... Also it has a very good video/movie mode that makes very good avi movie files.

Cons: Shutter speeds by defult nature go to slow in P and A mode for me when used in low light........ continuous auto focus is a powe hog, burst mode is a little slow for sports shooting but you can get some really nice single shots in sports without much trouble.

Never used the other camera so I can't comment. Just carry some extra batteries and ahot shw flash and the 9100 is a great everyday camera.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 12:02 AM   #8

Seems Fuji are quite good and happy with it.

It's because of the price a affortable than FZ50?
OR
Really because of the Quality?

What's the price in between DSLR (with standard lens), S9600/9100 and the FZ50?
Old Sep 22, 2007, 2:51 AM   #9

The Fuji S9100 is not so cheap anymore. I think they are closing them out. They are almost $500 online (490 or so).

The Pentax K100d with kit lens and the Panasonic FZ50 are almost the same, just under $450 online. If I wanted to save money, I would go for the Fuji S6000fd,which can be gotten for less than $330 online (in the US). Both Fujis were readily available and cheaper a month or two ago. You may have waited too long for these two, although the S6000fd price is still pretty good in my opinion.

You find out all this information yourself by going to

www.pricegrabber.com

OR (on this site)

http://www50.shopping.com/xPP-Digita...kin_id-3053120

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 11:57 AM   #10

I Think,Choose what i want is the point..erm..Reviews really helps..or Shop in and try out cam by cam?