Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 21, 2007, 5:55 PM   #1

I am replacing my previously trusty Powershot A80, which developed problems with the Auto WB while I was traveling.

I use a Rebel XTi for many situations, but given that I shoot a great deal when I travel and that I travel in places where I'd rather not be carrying around a DSLR, I really do need a more compact option. That's why I loved the A80, because I could carry it in a pocket.

Initially I was very sold on the G9, but comparing the specs there don't seem to be huge differences other than a better screen on the G9. Would this assessment be correct?

I haven't had a chance to check out either one in a store.

Two questions I have about both: Do the lenses retract into the body? That was something I liked about the A80.

The second is whether the exposed screen is an issue on the G9: I always liked that the screen folded in on the A80 [I never used it to shoot anyway].

Any commments would be appreciated.

dg
dg27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2007, 8:01 PM   #2

dg-

This is very simple. Go with the Canon S-650 IS. The Canon G-5 is outdated and available only as a used camera. have a great day!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 9:18 PM   #3

Big typo on my part: In the topic line I typed "G5," but I should have typed G9 [the new model], as noted twice in the post--apparently can't fix that. Sorry for the confusion.

The 650IS and G9 are what I am considering.

dg
Old Sep 21, 2007, 9:51 PM   #4

dg-

You have a sizable problem. We read what you write. Does that come as a great big surprise to you ? I hope not. The Canon A-650 IS is a great camera. Does it exceed the G-9 in capability? That is a judgement call. Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 21, 2007, 10:05 PM   #5

Sarah Joyce: I have contacted an admin and asked that he delete the post or fix the subject line.

Sorry for the typo.

Still wondering about the 650 Is and the G9:

Two questions I have about both: Do the lenses retract into the body? That was something I liked about the A80.

The second is whether the exposed screen is an issue on the G9: I always liked that the screen folded in on the A80 [I never used it to shoot anyway].

By reading the specs I could clearly see that the G9 probably does not exceed the 650. These two issues would be selling points for me, which would help me make the decision.

dg
Old Sep 21, 2007, 10:42 PM   #6

dg-

Stand by and I will come back in the morning. It is already too late here in Orgon.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 22, 2007, 10:55 AM   #7

dg-

The lens on both the Canon A-650IS and G-9 retract into the camera body. There have been a few posting about the exposed LCD on the G-9 and the increased potential for damage. The A-650IS has an articulated LCD screen and it can be folded inward to protect the LCD.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 22, 2007, 1:59 PM   #8

Thanks, Sarah Joyce. I'll look for those postings and keep in mind. Leaning toward the A- 650IS as I really don't want to be worrying about the screen.--dg
Old Sep 30, 2007, 1:00 AM   #9

I am looking at the Canon Powershot G9. I found Steve's link to Shopping.com quite helpful in comparing. The G9 DOES have a hot-shoe . Also, if you look at the review of the A650 on that same site, the reviewer prefers the G9, on the basis of performance/slight sluggishness but admits his judgement is subjective, and doesn't provide stats.

If you hit Steve's compare cameras link on the left menu on the home page, you can read about both.

My hesitation is the proprietary batteries. I don't think I will be able to lug extra batteries with me in my particular application. It's handy just to be able to run into a store and buy batteries when I need to.
mpecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 1:24 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Don't worry about prop. batteries.

Buy a spare and keep it charged and with you and you will never run out.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote