Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 27, 2007, 6:04 AM   #11

starting over is hard work

somehow i feel i will most likely lean towards sony as it will most likely fit right into my hands

started looking at the 16-80 cz lens, but came across the sigma 17-50 2.8

would the faster lens be more beneficial or the extra zoom
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 6:18 AM   #12

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:
started looking at the 16-80 cz lens, but came across the sigma 17-50 2.8

would the faster lens be more beneficial or the extra zoom
The Zeiss is a very sharp lens, but it is not good for indoor/low light subjects unassisted.

I have the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 for my KM5D, and I am very pleased with it.

If you think you'll be shooting under conditions where you need the extra f-stop or two, then you should go for the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 (which is available for both the Pentax and the Sony), or the Tamron which I highly recommend (but it's not available for the Pentax.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 6:53 AM   #13

i like the reviews that i read in Dyxum on both lenses

this is a tough call :?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 8:44 AM   #14

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:
i like the reviews that i read in Dyxum on both lenses

this is a tough call :?
Which 'both'?

The Zeiss or the Sigma? The Zeiss is sharper, but the Sigma is brighter.

The Sigma or the Tamron? Flip a coin.

Or get the Pentax. That will narrow your choices down tojust the Sigma. ... or the Pentax 16-50mm f/2.8, which is also a fine lens.

Sorry? Did I here you say you wanted easy choices?

You'rein the wrong hobby. :-)
Old Sep 27, 2007, 9:15 AM   #15

sorry Tcav i ment the tamron or the CZ

just need to decide,

sharper extra zoom

or

brighter ( and being a 10 mp camera crop to suit )
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:40 AM   #16

This presumes you've ruled out the Pentax, and I think that's premature.

You're going to a store that has all of them. Check them all out!

And if you find something you like there, please buy it there. It seems you would be spending a lot of time with a salesperson when trying to make this decision. Please don't spoil it for the people that follow you, by leaving without buying anything. The salesperson's assistance will have been worth anything extra you might have to pay.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:01 AM   #17

TCav wrote:
Quote:
And if you find something you like there, please buy it there. It seems you would be spending a lot of time with a salesperson when trying to make this decision. Please don't spoil it for the people that follow you, by leaving without buying anything. The salesperson's assistance will have been worth anything extra you might have to pay.
Assuming, that is, that the salesman was actually helpful. I have gone to camera stores where I knew exactly what I wanted to see, and the salesperson spent the entire time trying to show me more expensive items that were what I should really buy. The experienceoften seems to be more about their commission than my buying needs.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:16 PM   #18

tclune wrote:
Quote:
Assuming, that is, that the salesman was actually helpful. I have gone to camera stores where I knew exactly what I wanted to see, and the salesperson spent the entire time trying to show me more expensive items that were what I should really buy. The experienceoften seems to be more about their commission than my buying needs.
Notwithstanding your reservations, if the OP shows up in a camera store, asks to see and is presented with a Sony A100 along witha CZ 16-80, a Sigma 18-50 and a Tamron 17-50, plus a Pentax K10D along with a Pentax 16-50 and a Sigma 18-50, I'd call that helpful, despiteany amount of accompanying drivel, and would consider the store to be worthy of my custom.

On the other hand, I did waste 4 hours in a Nissan dealership once, in an attempt to simply negotiate a price for an Altima. The following day, I went to a Honda dealer and had agreed upon a price for the Accord I wanted within an hour of arriving.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 5:53 PM   #19

T cav no i have not ruled out Pentax, its just that when i read about the sony it is easier to understand as i previously owned the D5, and thru Dyxum site i can see owners reviews on different lenses. i appreciated when you mentioned that you would highly recommend the tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lens, i rearly print my pictures, i totally enjoy viewing them on my computer LCD screen. Can you say if the extra sharpness of the cz will play a important factor here, cause if it will, i would most likely go with the CZ

i just want to be a least 90% sure of what i am going for

don't worry i am a simple customer, my wife likes to shopat macys and spends 4 hours there, i go to target and get everything i want in less than 1/2 an hour
Old Sep 27, 2007, 6:24 PM   #20

There isn't a doubt in my mind that the Zeiss 16-80 is a sharper lens than anything else in its range. But since you don't print, unless your LCD has a resolution of 3872 x 2592 (or better), you won't notice the difference between it and the kit lens. And so the only reason to go with the Sigma or Tamron over the Sony 18-70 is for the larger aperture.

But that's a lot of money for an f-stop or two. That's your call.

I'd do it. But I very much prefer available light to flash. And though I only print about 1% of my shots, I do print. And sometimes, other people want copies of my photos, and sometimes they print them.