Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 23, 2007, 6:25 PM   #1

i would be in downtown los angeles for at least 2 days in the next week

i would like to personally see

sony A 100 with sony 16-80 carl zess zoom lens

or

pentax K10 D with pentax 16-50 2.8 zoom lens

any of you guys out there from around this area knows of a large enough camera store that would stock these items

your help would be greatly appreciated
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2007, 8:15 PM   #2
Administrator

I'm not familar with that area. But, Wolf and Ritz Camera stores may have them in stock (and they may not, depending on the size of the store). Your best bet would be to phone them to see after you arrive (and check the telephone book yellow pages for other camera dealers in the area).

Here is a list of Wolf/Ritz stores in that area:

Wolf and Ritz Camera stores in the LA area

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 9:11 PM   #3

There are two camera stores you could try - Samys and Bel Air Camera. Bel Air is in Westwood, I know they carry the Pentax and would likely have the K10. I'm pretty sure I saw the Sony Alpha there, but could be wrong (they have a website too, but I didn't see the Alpha mentioned on it). Samy's has a website ( www.samys.com ), there are a number of stores - check out their website for locations (you might find one more convenient than the one on Fairfax). Best thing to do is contact both stores directly and ask what they have in stock. I'm sure there are other camera stores in the SoCal area, just don't know about them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 9:28 PM   #4

i was in LA earlier this year, and stumbledupon a camera store that was about 5 stories high and each floor was for different department i spent over 2 hrs in it, and i cannot remember its name

for some reason samys kinds of ring a bell

Old Sep 23, 2007, 9:33 PM   #5

http://www.belaircamera.com/doesn't list the Sony as a dSLR they carry, though they do have the Pentax.

http://www.samys.com/does list both the Pentax K10D and the Sony A100, but according to the website, the only lenses they have for the Sony are from Tamron (though I doubt that's true.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 12:54 AM   #6

One feature on the Pentax website is, where you enter the zip code and it produces a list of stores carrying Pentax products. So check out ....
http://www.pentaximaging.com/product...n--digital_slr

some what in the middle of the page...
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 5:23 AM   #7

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
One feature on the Pentax website is, where you enter the zip code and it produces a list of stores carrying Pentax products. So check out ....
http://www.pentaximaging.com/product...n--digital_slr

some what in the middle of the page...
Similiarly, the SonyStyle website displays a list of SonyStyle retail stores on:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...&langId=-1

However, the list only contains the SonyStyle stores, not every store that carries Sony products.

Even though you asked for stores that stock either of these items, I think your purpose would best be served by stores that stocked both of these items, and that won't help you. Therefore, I think your best bet would be a large Samy's or Ritz, asI think the Zeiss 16-80 would be hard to find in a brick & mortar storefront.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 5:34 PM   #8

As of noon today, Bel Air had the Sony A100 in stock, and they've reduced the price (think that's general across the board due to the new camera coming out). I didn't ask about the lenses - it could be hazardous to my health to ask about the DA*16-50 f2.8 lens (I finally have my LBA under temporary control). I know they have received some of the DA* lenses, so they may have one in stock - I really don't know about the possibility of the Zeiss lens. I really need to stay out of Bel Air and all camera storesfor a while - every time I go in there I want to buy something else.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:03 PM   #9

thanks for the help guys

i sent sammys an email yesterday and got a reply from them today

they told me that they had the sony 100 in stock, and gave me a phone # to call them to make some arrangements, so that they could have the lens in stock in time for when i reach there

so things are looking good so far
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:13 PM   #10

mtngal wrote

I really need to stay out of Bel Air and all camera storesfor a while - every time I go in there I want to buy something else.

i understand, whenever i am in the U S and i go into a camera store, i feel like a kid in toys r us :G