Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 30, 2007, 12:53 PM   #11

I'm checking out the same three cameras as you mentioned in your original post. I went down to the camera store and held the three. I'm a fairly good sized man and to me...the Canon Rebel felt small in my hands...not enough room with the grip..for me to get a good, comfortable grip.

I found both the D80 and the K10D worked better for my hands.

So kind of between the K10D and D80.

It's a pro this...con that..

I do like the K10D's weather sealing, dust reduction system, general ruggedness and image stabilization in the body, rather than having to buy (at extra money) the vibration reduction system in the lens, like the Nikon.

The Nikon has a broader range of lens available.

But the key deciding points for me...are comfort and I'm ok with both Nikon and Pentax, but I also have some good, older Pentax lenses..so I will probably go with the K10D.

Good luck...all three are good cameras. Have you tried out the Canon 30D..which is a fine camera, although now going for discount prices as it is replaced by the 40D.

More rugged than the Rebel and the D80...and although it is only rated at 8.2 MP...the pix I have seen are great.

Heavy...semi pro camera I would say.

lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 1:02 PM   #12

First, Canon is still selling the 8MP XT, Pentax is still selling the 6MP K100D, and Nikon is still selling the 6MP D40. I don't think there's much reason to worry that Canon will be dropping the 10MP XTi anytime in the near future.

But a number of people here have already stated that they don't like the feel of the XTi, so I understand you apprehensiveness.

But comparing the $900 Nikon D80 to the $1,000 Canon 30D makes more sense. Both Canon and Nikon have some really fine lenses, and a broad selection of lenses, something that no other dSLR manufacturer can say. I know some people who swear by their Canons, and other peoplewho swear by their Nikons. I will say that I know people, in real life and on these pages,that have dumped everything they owned and bought into Canon. I can't say that for Nikon.

But rest assured. You will be able to do whatever you want with either of them.

So the only variable is you. I suggest you go to a good camera store, handle both of them for a while. pick one, buy it, and don't look back.

As a minor point, I thinkequivalent lenses are very slightly cheaper from Canon than from Nikon.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 8:54 PM   #13

TCav - I am about to the point of pulling out the rest of the grayish hairs on my balding noggin'... however, first, want to say thanks again for your assistance and words. Must say that also your comment "So the only variable is you. I suggest you go to a good camera store, handle both of them for a while. pick one, buy it, and don't look back." is very true - and however the latter part of it is my curse; tad bit of my nature to always second, third, etc. guess myself. But in this matter will fight quite hard not to.
ShadowCaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 8:54 PM   #14

I thought I would add 2 cents worth in here on a couple of topics.

Quote:
option to have the 'live' image on the screen when shooting
TCav provided an excellent overview of why, however to more of the how. With a small point and shoot it is easy to hold the camera out in front, so as to frame the image in the screen. With a SLR you hold a much larger camera, weighing a lot more out in front of you to frame the "live" image. Not real practical. Also the controls on the camera, even with auto focus, you need to twist the lens barrel to zoom, which is impossible to do while holding it a foot out in front of you. Then there are the on body controls for you to possibly manipulate. Another large reason is stability, looking through the viewfinder you actually have better stability which directly results in better pictures. Even with the old look down viewfinders, the camera was close into your body rather than way out in front - better stability.

On another topic, Pentax with their two models, the K10D which is 10MP and the more entry level K100D at 6MP, so you do have your choice there. Also, there is the factor of cost. Pentax is less than both Canon and Nikon in both the body and lens. Pentax has some excellent glass along with a wide array of third party glass available.

As Mtngal wrote - ultimately it comes down to your choice, as to what feels good in your hands, what appeals to you, and what you would want to use - all of which translates to something that will actually get used to create pictures.

All are excellent cameras that will perform well for you for years to come.

Hope that helps.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 4:16 AM   #15

ShadowCaver wrote:
Quote:
TCav - I am about to the point of pulling out the rest of the grayish hairs on my balding noggin'... however, first, want to say thanks again for your assistance and words. Must say that also your comment "So the only variable is you. I suggest you go to a good camera store, handle both of them for a while. pick one, buy it, and don't look back." is very true - and however the latter part of it is my curse; tad bit of my nature to always second, third, etc. guess myself. But in this matter will fight quite hard not to.
You have done everything exactly the way you should, and you have narrowed down your choices to two very good cameras and two very good camera systems. You can't make a bad choice here.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2007, 6:21 AM   #16

My thoughts so far...

In a semi-particular order:
1. Canon 30D or 40D
2. Pentax K10D
3. Nikon D80
4. Olympus Evolt E-510

I like the IS w/in the body that Oly and Pentax offers, so less $ spent on the lens [as Nikon and Canon both require/offer - even tho' w/in the lens is reportedly 'better']. And the Pentax has a reputation for excellent durability, weatherproofing, etc. [from reports/reviews I've read and people talked with] with the Canon being a close second. Yet the Canon and Nikon have a higher reputation in the photog world in regards to their status, their components, their R&D, their lenses, their chips, etc. However, being the rebel I be , I would love to support the 'little guy' [Nikon and Canon have +85% of the market] - yet that then is kinda foolish, spending ~$2k for system just to do such...

Have at this time only held the Nikon and Pentax in my hands, as the local camera shops do not have the Canon nor Oly in stock; the Nikon felt good, whereas the Pentax not so much... so right there that puts the Pentax lower in my personal ranking, even tho' have thoughts of making the durn thing fit better! Ok, am rambling here... Yea, it be late, and my noggin is filled and tormented w/ all the reviews from the various web photo/camera places. Oh, to add fuel to the fire, noticed that w/in the latest Consumer Reports, that the Nikon brand overall has slightly 'worst' rating regards to consumer feedback for repair history. However, have heard that Nikon has easier/friendlier interface than Canon...

So, however all things considered, guess for now that the Canon 30D or 40D top the list, at the moment - at least until can get my hands on them to see how well they 'feel'. Again, thanks to all for their feedback
ShadowCaver is offline   Reply With Quote