Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 26, 2007, 8:33 AM   #1

I am trying to decide on the description of an all round camera. I am only going to carry one camera so it has to be prepared to handle it all. I do know I will have to give up on some things but maybe if I can get some help in the description, I can begin to narrow down my choices. Let me say I do not want to be burdened by a bunch of lenses so this camera has to be a point and shoot. If it matters, most of my use will be on vacations with some family photos mixed in. For now, ignor cost.:?
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2007, 8:48 AM   #2

I've bought a number of cameras for myself and my family. I have purchased ultra-compacts for all the rest of the family (I've purchased Canon and Casio brands, and have been happy with all of them for what they are). The thing that was the most important aspect for my wife and kids is that it fit in a pocket or purse. A camera that you don't have with you doesn't take good pictures.

For myself, the only times I want to take pictures is when I set out to do so -- family functions, vacations, etc. I am quite content to stand out as a tourist abroad(I'm a shlubby old guy who will never be mistaken for a local anywhere other than a VFW cookout). and at family functions I'm not going to fool anyone anyway.I have no interest in carrying a discrete camera with me for the odd shot that may arise. For me, an ultra-zoom is ideal. It has the flexibility to handle a wide variety of environments, but at the expense of having to lug a camera around.

I would suggest that you decide whether either of these use models sounds like how you function. If so, you may want to limit your search to one or the other kind of camera. If not, you may want to begin by forming a clear understanding of how you work with a camera, and then zeroing in on the type of camera that would suit that use model. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:19 AM   #3
Ige

I chose Panasonic Lumix FZ50. I had a FZ10 before (until a car run over it...) and loved all its possibilities - 12x zoom , very good stabilizer, not bigger than a SLR with a 18-50 lens. And a superb lens.
Ige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 2:35 PM   #4

Tclune, I was all set to buy either the Canon G9 or the A650 until I read the review of the Sony H9. The lure of the long lens is the only thing really confusing me. The bother I have with the long lens is the camera is a bit bigger. As of today, I think I am leaning towards the A650 but the wind may shift direction tomorrow. Compactness will be an issue with me.

Jon
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:30 AM   #5

I would stay away from Sony - unless you want to contend with proprietory technoloy - beware - you can only use a Sony battery in it....and they are costly to replace - go with the Canon S5IS....better than the Sony
auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:02 PM   #6

Outhouse wrote:
Quote:
Tclune, I was all set to buy either the Canon G9 or the A650 until I read the review of the Sony H9. The lure of the long lens is the only thing really confusing me. The bother I have with the long lens is the camera is a bit bigger. As of today, I think I am leaning towards the A650 but the wind may shift direction tomorrow. Compactness will be an issue with me.

Jon
Well, a couple of cameras to consider that have long lenses and compact bodies are the Kodal V610 and any of the Panasonic TZ series. Personally, I have never used either, so I can't make any recommendations on that score.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:54 AM   #7

If you can find yourself a Sony H5 you have one of the best super zoom compact cameras ever made. It takes 2AA batteries, and is so much better then the newer H7 and H9 models in image, interface, and filter size. Canon makes a fine product, but they are still out in left field with their crappy EVF resolution. I was sure they would fix this on their S5 IS, but no they haven't. A major let down if you use your super zoom compact like an SLR. I was almost persuaded to get one just for the hot shoe, as I have a Canon 420EX and 580EX flashguns, and the Sony flash (although very powerful) is super slow to recharge.After reading up on many things, felt there was little to no gain in going with a Sony S5 IS.

The only issue I have with my H5 is the need for an Sony memory stick card adapter to use my card reader.

Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 6:43 AM   #8

the canon S3-IS and S5-IS are great for a wide variety of situations, take good quality pics and great quality videos, have image stabilization and a nice long zoom. they're definitely worth considering.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 2:50 PM   #9

Having been a Nikon 35mm devotee for more than 30 years, and someone who has owned digitals from Kodak, Cannon, Nikon, and now a Sony digital camera... I have nothing but high marks for my T30 PnS as the ultimate pocket camera. Once you get by dealing with Sony's proprietary storage (I use a 2GB SanDisk card in mine), it all becomes transparent. The battery life on a charge is totally uncanny. The 3" LCD is huge and brilliant. I still own and use my Nikon CP990 (awesome macro/real glass lens), but its a sort of monster compared to the Sony (which also has some uncanny closeup capabilities).

I've started liquidating my Nikon F equipment and intend to switch over to a DSLR, and owning the Sony has opened my eyes and my mind to DSLR alternatives. While I like the Nikon D80... I also like the Pentax K10D. I honestly don't know which direction I will go in, but like I said... I think I'll be a bit more open minded.

As far as your camera goes, if you don't mind bulk there are plenty of choices, and if having a camera that is well-featured and extremely pocketable is important... then take a look at some of the Sony cameras, expecially the T series.
drgrafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 4:01 PM   #10

It's dificult to give an answer...which one you should buy....

For me, in a point and shoot camera you should look these futures:

1. Optical image stabilizer VR-IS-MegaOIS, second choice is CCD Shift...

2. "digital" image stabilization... never buy...it's a joke...

3. 6MP is more than enough...More megapixel in a tiny CCD means "Noise"...

4. 10xor 12X zoomlens isthe best all around lens...

5. The camera must have the fastes (minimum) shutter lag....

If your hands are stable buy a FUJI superzoom because they have the best CCD on the market, up to 8MP they are very good..

If not, Canon S3IS, it has less noise than other 6MP cameras or a Panasonic FZ18 or FZ30 they are little bit noisy even at low ISO's....

if money is not a problem buy a Nikon D40 (6MP) or a D50 (6MP)with a 18-200 VR...

Just my ideas...Good luck....

Don't forget, they are just idiot tools the person behind them is important..

You can take beautiful pictures even with a 2MP camera...

The Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote