Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 27, 2007, 5:08 PM   #1

I am figuring out that my needs concerning lenses are :

-Very high shaprness. Mission impossible : approachingNHL's amazing pics likehttp://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=66898&forum_id=11&highli ght=south

- Ranges between18 mmand 200mm, meaning about 28mm to 400 mm inc.the 1.4 crop factor and a 1.4 TC above 280 mm, i.e. from fashion faces to kiteboarding pics.

After some research on this forum and others, I found the following Canon "classic" lenses to be a great product fora very low price. I cannot find anything cheap and outstanding fast prime at around 18mm ? Please help !

Here is what I have :

18mm ???? Go for a Tamron SP AF17-50mm at 449 $ ? Not so cheap anymore...

50mm F1.4 II for portrait - Amazon :102 $

85 mm F1.8 for portrait and sport indoor - Amazon : 347 $

70-200 f4 L (no IS) for kiteboarding pics - Amazon : 589 $

TC 1.4 for more distant kiteboarding pics - Amazon : 87 $ used

Total : 1574 $ . Ouch ! Did I miss any ? Again, CHEAP please
philgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2007, 5:49 PM   #2

Take a look at KEH.com. Not only do they beat your prices for new lenses, they also have used lenses that will save you even more.

BTW, Canon dSLRs have a crop factor of 1.6, not 1.4.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 6:53 PM   #3

With lenses you usually get what you pay for, so you can't really use the words'very high sharpness' and 'cheap' in one sentence talking about lenses :-)

You can have a look at EF 28-105 F/3.5-4.5 II USM for about $225 new and a now discontinued 70-210 F/3.5-4.5 USM (about the same price for a used lens in excellent conditions). Both aren't exactly the L quality lenses, but the build quality is good, they are reasonably sharp and the AF speed is great with full time manual override. For a fast portrait lens you can get a 50mm F/1.8 - for about $70-80 new you get good sharpness and IQ, especially if you can stop it down to f/2.8.

This doesn't cover the wide angle range, but you can always use the kit lens, which is not that bad after all. 85mm f/1.8 can also be found used in good condition.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:35 AM   #4

philgib wrote:
Quote:
I am figuring out that my needs concerning lenses are :

-Very high shaprness. Mission impossible : approachingNHL's amazing pics likehttp://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=66898&forum_id=11&highli ght=south

- Ranges between18 mmand 200mm, meaning about 28mm to 400 mm inc.the 1.4 crop factor and a 1.4 TC above 280 mm, i.e. from fashion faces to kiteboarding pics.

After some research on this forum and others, I found the following Canon "classic" lenses to be a great product fora very low price. I cannot find anything cheap and outstanding fast prime at around 18mm ? Please help !

Here is what I have :

18mm ???? Go for a Tamron SP AF17-50mm at 449 $ ? Not so cheap anymore...

50mm F1.4 II for portrait - Amazon :102 $

85 mm F1.8 for portrait and sport indoor - Amazon : 347 $

70-200 f4 L (no IS) for kiteboarding pics - Amazon : 589 $

TC 1.4 for more distant kiteboarding pics - Amazon : 87 $ used

Total : 1574 $ . Ouch ! Did I miss any ? Again, CHEAP please
I've done alot of bussiness with buydig.com and they have been good as far as my experience. You will save a few bucks on a few of your selections. Most of my lens only purchases were also free freight.

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote