Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 30, 2007, 8:43 AM   #1

Now that I narrowed my choice with an EOS20D / EOS30D, a 70-200 F4 l and a 50 1.8, I am trying to figure out whether I am doing a better deal purchasing everything new with a small discount - if I can - or everything 2nd hand.

I would only buy second hand if quality is LN+, LN- or EX+

How much would make the 2nd hand discount worth it? 10% ? 20% ? 30 %

BUYDIG, new: EOS 20D $869 + 70-200 f4 : $554 + 50/1.8 : $105 = $1528

KEH 2-hand : EOS20D EX+ : $665 + 70-200 f4 : $519 + 50/1.8 : $30= Total : $1214

Difference here : $314 or about 25 %

Many thx

Phil

philgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2007, 9:07 AM   #2

I have purchased a number of used lenses and otheritemsfrom KEH, and am very satisfied.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 9:47 AM   #3

I think lenses are a good bet to purchase 2nd hand from a reputable place like KEH. I would never be comfortable purchasing a 2nd hand camera though. Maybe a factory re-furb with warranty. So I might suggest a middle ground strategy - get the camera new and the lenses used if you want to save.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:58 AM   #4

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
I think lenses are a good bet to purchase 2nd hand from a reputable place like KEH. I would never be comfortable purchasing a 2nd hand camera though. Maybe a factory re-furb with warranty. So I might suggest a middle ground strategy - get the camera new and the lenses used if you want to save.
I agree.

And you could also lower your sights a little. If you'd be just as happy with a new XTi, why buy a used 20D?
Old Oct 1, 2007, 1:45 AM   #5

That is a good point Tcav. The Xtisounds quite interesting to me and is much cheaper.

I just have the feeling thatthere is more noise on high iso on the Xti than on the20D, and that the Xti cameraistoo smallcompared tothe 20D and not as strong, making it unconfortable after some time holding it.

Being an old dog with computers, I like proven products more than new products. Ilike for instance the great reviews that every single 20D owner seems to write.

That said, the cleaning system and the light weight are 2 good pointsfor theaerial photography from mykite.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 5:06 AM   #6

philgib wrote:
Quote:
... That said, the cleaning system and the light weight are 2 good pointsfor theaerial photography from mykite.
That's right! You're the person that wants to hang a camera from kites and ballons.

What Camera Should I Buy? > This is what I want. What do I need ?

What happened between then and now? I still think you should get something with image stabilization in the body for that application.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:43 PM   #7

I want to be able to resell the hardware for a good price if it does not fit my needs, that why I won't go Pentax.

As I mentioned previously, thependulum motion of the camera under the kite won't benefit from the stabilizer. And since the speed is about 1/1000 and there is plenty of light reflection bouncing from the ground,light is not a big issue.

I have to find out whether KEH and Buydig accept international CCwhen purchasing with Internet. Security procedures are a real pain for a genuine international buyer. My CC was issued in France, I live now in Mexico and the purchase will take place in the US, and US customs always think I have a potential terrorist face... Not easy ! :?Too bad the prices are twice as much in Mexico, otherwise I would just stay there...
Old Oct 2, 2007, 12:20 PM   #8

philgib wrote:
Quote:
... As I mentioned previously, thependulum motion of the camera under the kite won't benefit from the stabilizer. ...
No. But the ocassional jarring the camera will receive from sudden wind gusts and reaching the limit of the tethers might be corrected by some sort of image stabilization.

Another thing occurs to me while thinking about this application.Severa cameras have WiFi built it, and, outdoors, WiFi can have a range of up to 300 ft. If that's as long or longer than your tether, then you might be able to download and review the images while the camera is still aloft. This might be useful to you.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 5:38 PM   #9

I can already see live what the camera is aiming at thanks to the live view AV out of my small Olympus stylus 800 connected to a 600 mw tx, ,but yes indeed, there are some useful applications for the wireless camera sending full 10 megs pics to a huge screen on the ground as the AV outvery oftenhas an amazingly low quality to speed up the refreshing rate.

Basically, AV out is for aiming at the target whereas full pics sent wirelessly would be used to be watched once taken.

A cheaper wireless on DSLRs would be more than welcome though... :evil:The IP cam technology is super cheap nowadays.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 7:06 PM   #10

philgib wrote:
Quote:
Basically, AV out is for aiming at the target whereas full pics sent wirelessly would be used to be watched once taken.

A cheaper wireless on DSLRs would be more than welcome though... :evil:The IP cam technology is super cheap nowadays.
WiFi sems to be available on most Canon dSLRs...

(see http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/control...amp;fromTips=1)

... and all Nikon dSLRs from the D200 up ...

(see http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...roductNr=WT-2Aandhttp://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...roductNr=25341).