Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 7, 2007, 1:49 PM   #21

Thanks Alan.

I think Im really just going to have to go and try them all out for myself like you say. Thats a really interesting comparison by Steve (wrexham) that you posted and with very surprising results (to me at least). The Kodak sounds like a decent camera - I wonder if the bad press they are given is just snobbery.

It would be great to see some test shots of yours if you have any?

P.S. as much as Steve's choice of subject for his test shots are interesting (!) something broader in scope would be good!
Silencio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 3:30 PM   #22

Silencio wrote:
Quote:
...It would be great to see some test shots of yours if you have any?...
If you look back through the last few months for Alan T's threads in 'Post your photos>Biweekly Shootout' , I've posted quite a few there...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=85

e.g., http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=579312&forum_id=85

Of course they're all resized, and many are sharpened as well. If you search the forumsfor 'Z712' or 'Z612' you'll find lots of my & other people's Z612 & Z712 images,some as unresized crops. Ignore all the stuff about batteries unless/until you need it.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=18contains a full-size clip at ISO1600, among other things.

I have some full-size images on the net, and I'll send you a pm with web addresses when I get round to it.

BTW, I didn't think 'scopes' came any broader than than the ones to which you allude! Great expertise in both photography and computers to be found right there, actually.

Good luck!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 6:17 PM   #23

On the mpxl/sensor size issue. In the compact/ultra zoom/image stabilized class of cameraswhich one has the largest image sensor? Considering these criteria what compact would you consider?Ultracompacts are out of the picture(sorry, no pun intended)for me, too small to handle easily.

The Kodak Z712is sounds very attractive to me becaue of the comment about one handed operaton. My most extreme use of the camera will be while ice climbing, that's why the low light/narrow canyon lighting concerns and the compact. But the wide angle use for landscapes also attracts me. I'll check out the specs on the Kodak. Since I will have plenty of opprtunity to shoot Colorado Plateau canyon landscapes.
coloradoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 9:55 PM   #24

coloradoice wrote:
Quote:
...Kodak Z712is sounds very attractive to me becaue of the comment about one handed operaton. My most extreme use of the camera will be while ice climbing .....
I was assuming supporting the LH end of the camera with the other hand, at the same time as working the buttons with right forefinger and thumb, and the thumbwheel with the right thumb! I wasn't envisaging glovedhands, or dangling from an ice screw with the left hand. I think I could do it, but it would be tricky, and I'd want the camera well tied on.

I'd try it out in a shop first. It's not usual to hang from the ceiling with one hand in photographic stores in the UK, but I don't know about Colorado. If you do, please post us some images of the event.

I did quite a lot of climbing until my 'mountaineering menopause' in 1977 (frightening time in the Alps), and then a lot of winter hillwalking until the last few years. I've had a tiny breast pocket camera for those occasions: Rollei 35, Olympus XA film cameras, and latterly Casio EX-Z750, which I can definitely work with one hand.

If I were still ice climbing, it would be lovely to be able to judge exposure with the EVF on the Z712 or similar, in the prevalent poor lighting and extreme contrast.It would easily sit inside a big jacket, but I'd go with my little Casio for safety's sake. I hope you have a patient climbing partner, if any. I remember amusing myself with photography while freezing on stances, but I was supposed to be paying attention and watching the rope!

I look forward to seeing some results. Good luck!

(We gotmost of the way to the foot of the Monch by train in 1998, not by the Clint Eastwood route.....)
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 2:49 PM   #25

Thanks for those Alan - some great shots you have there. Im also impressed with the quality you managed at ISO 1600: very surprising.

Thanks for all your help.
Silencio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 1:32 AM   #26

To throw on my two-cents worth.

If you will be doing a lot of one-handed shots and in low light (hanging along a mountainside in a canyon with one hand on a rope and the other on a camera), you might want to look at:

1. As simple a p&s as possible that will allow one-handed zooming and shooting with a gloved hand - the Canon S5IS (which I have) is an excellent camera as is the Kodak Z712 (I have the Z612). But using them one-handed with gloves on will be a challenge because of the small buttons.

2. A p&s with the largest CCD lens possible to allow low-light shooting at high ISO

3. Optical Image Stabilization will help a lot since you will not be stable hanging from a cliff.

bayani is offline   Reply With Quote