Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 3, 2007, 3:31 PM   #1

Which P+S cameras on the market todaywould you say produce the sharpest images?
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2007, 4:43 PM   #2

Panasonic seems to be sharper than most.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 8:42 PM   #3

I always hear that Panasonics have the best lenses as far as P+S cameras go. Is a lens the key to having a sharp image?
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 9:51 PM   #4

I think the Fuji FinePix F20 and F31 produce pretty sharp images.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2007, 2:51 AM   #5

We have three Panasonic cameras at the house and they all take very sharp clear and true to color pictures. I know because my daughter keeps telling me how much better her pictures look than the ones taken with my Sony F717.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2007, 1:38 PM   #6

Contriver wrote:
Quote:
I always hear that Panasonics have the best lenses as far as P+S cameras go. Is a lens the key to having a sharp image?
The lens is only part of the photographic system that affects the final image quality. The sensor and the most importantly the in-camera image processing hardware/software has a huge impact on the final image. This is the area that a number of reviewers feel that Panasonic slips a bit and fails to take full advantage of the Leica lens, particularly at higher ISOs.

DPReview does formal resolution tests and provides resolution comparison charts (links below.) While the Panasonics are definitely top performers others are equal. Beyond thatDPReview's tests are at only one focal length although they do attempt to find the optimal aperture.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz8/page16.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons5is/page19.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Fuji...0fd/page13.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Pana...Z50/page18.asp

Total image quality is more than just sharpness. It includes also color quality, focus and exposure systems, and the skills of the photographer.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:32 AM   #7

Contriver wrote:
Quote:
Which P+S cameras on the market todaywould you say produce the sharpest images?

The sharpest images, They are in the eye of the beholder, what is sharp to one may not be sharp to another.

Go to circuit city or best buy, take a small SD card with you or invest in a small card that fits the camera's you are considering, In my opinion I wont buy a camera that doesnt use SD cards. Put the card in the camera take some pictures, Take the card home and put the pictures on your computer, and compare, then make your decision. I have panasonic camera's that take excellent pictures, I also have pentax, casio, and a few others. In my opinion they all take very sharp pictures.

See who is doing the most advertising on these review sites, I know Steve's gives and honest and fair unbiased review of all camera's, I dont know about the others some seem to favor one brand over another.

2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 3:07 AM   #8

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
Total image quality is more than just sharpness. It includes also color quality, focus and exposure systems, and the skills of the photographer.
I quite agree with this. Of what use is a very sharp photo if the colors and exposure are off?

Sometimes, you also are not interested in sharpness and want certain photos to come out "soft".

As one reader suggested, take an SD card to a store, take a bunch of photos using various similar cams in various situations - outdoors, indoors without flash/with flash, etc. and compare before buying.

bayani is offline   Reply With Quote