Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 6, 2007, 3:50 AM   #1

ok so ive been shooting off and on for about 10 years now but with only 35mm camera's. ive decided to pick the hobby back up and i wanna try and sell my photo's at mx and racing events. my question is what would be the best camera and lenses for shooting mx and other types of racing? thanks in advance.
lwrider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2007, 1:29 PM   #2

What is your budget?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 3:40 PM   #3

well i would like to stay under 2500 but if i need to spend more then ill just save up more. but ya lets say under 2500.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 10:38 AM   #4

Assuming good lighting I think either Canon 40d or Nikon D80 and the Sigma 100-300 f4 ($1000) would fit the bill nicely.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 2:22 PM   #5

well some of the shooting might be at night too. ive also been looking at slightly used cameras just to save some money and maybe be able to get a better camera. what features or specs should i be looking for in a camera that the 40d and d80 offer?
Old Oct 7, 2007, 2:45 PM   #6

For sports work you want a good servo-focus system. You want fast-focusing lenses. Now that you introduce low light you need wide aperture lenses.

Canon & Nikon control 99.9% of the pro sports shooting market for good reason. They have excellent focus systems and the best array of sports lenses in the industry.

Sony is the only other system that might compete in the focus category but their new camera is still un-proven (especially as a sports camera)and lens availability will still be an issue for the next couple of years.

If you want low light, you'll want a Canon 70-200 2.8 or Nikon 70-200 2.8 lens. You'll be short on reach though so you'll need to add a 1.4x TC.

Bottom line - $2500 is a pretty low budget if you want to go pro AND be able to shoot day and night. In my experience you're better off doing one very well rather than both poorly because of your budget.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 7:13 PM   #7

cool thanks for the info. in no way am i trying to go "pro" right off the bat. i would like to start out with a good setup and once i feel comfortable with all the features of the camera then maybe upgrade the lens so maybe i should just try for good day pics and get a sigma 100-300 f4 and maybe later down the road go for a different lens. although i do live in arizona and we dont do much racing during the day here cause of the heat but i should be able to get a decent shot with that lens on a well lite track. any suggestions for a flash?
Old Oct 7, 2007, 8:31 PM   #8

if it's mostly night then go with the 70-200 instead. You gotta start with the one that will get you the most shots.

The flash you use depends on the system - unless you want to go third party like Metz or Sigma
Old Oct 8, 2007, 2:27 AM   #9

ya good point. we have racing during the day in the dead of winter but thats only like 2 months here but when i travel to races they will most likely be during the day. im leaning towards the nikon d80 just cause i have a nikon fg right nowand i love it and ill just save up and get the 70-200 and the 1.4x tc that way i can shoot at night and during the day.