Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 7, 2007, 9:44 AM   #11

philgib wrote:
Quote:
Greg,

I was amazed by the various prohibitions you have been mentioning.

Why are DSLRs forbidden in the places you mention ? Is this for business reason because some photographers have the monopoly of marketable pics, or for safety, like you would be tempted to knock out your neighbour with your $1000 zoom, or is because you could hide a terrorist gun inside ?
As I understand it, occasionally, their concern is that someone with a long lens could place it such that it might disturb the people seated in the next row forward. But mostly it's because the images of the team and players are controlled by the team owners, and they don't want anyone with a good camera taking a photo they can't make money on.

But it seems we've hyjacked this topic away from the OP. Sorry.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 9:59 AM   #12

Unfortunately, most P&S Digicams don't go wider that the 35mm film camera equivalent of 35mm,and many don't even go that wide!

On Steve's Best Cameras List [See http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html], the Kodak V570 seems to be a noteable exception. It has a typical zoom lens, plus a second wide angle lens providing a 35mm equivalent angle of view of a 23mm lens. [See http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/v570.html]
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 10:02 AM   #13

Although I would love the 28mm I think after reading loads of reviews the best choice is a small Fuji with s-ccd (f40 or f50). Gives the best results I think. I will miss however the wideangle which is such fun in streetphotography.

The Panasonic's offer 28mm but noise at iso 100 supposedly and not good for bigger prints.. I want to be able to print A4 size..

I'm going to visit Surinam. Out in the jungle I can take my dslr but it's more of an issue in the city area.. Don't want to get robbed of my gear..
ChowMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 11:08 AM   #14
Super Moderator

I have a Panasonic FX01.

Lovely little camera. The maximum aperture is f2.8 at the 28mm end. And good image stabilisation. Sure it's noisy above ISO 100, but not so noisy you can't use it.

Convert to BW, and add some fake film grain if it really bothers you. It's a nice little camera.

There is also one camera in the Canon IXUS range that goes out to 28mm with IS. Also very nice apparently.

From the samples I've seen I certainly wouldn't choose the Fuji just because of a marginal noise advantage. They are all pretty bad > ISO 100.

I have plenty of A4 prints at ISO100 from the Pana.

The other thing to try is to buy an insurance policy - cheaper than a new camera.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 11:14 AM   #15

ChowMonkey wrote:
Quote:
Although I would love the 28mm I think after reading loads of reviews the best choice is a small Fuji with s-ccd (f40 or f50). Gives the best results I think. I will miss however the wideangle which is such fun in streetphotography.

The Panasonic's offer 28mm but noise at iso 100 supposedly and not good for bigger prints.. I want to be able to print A4 size..

I'm going to visit Surinam. Out in the jungle I can take my dslr but it's more of an issue in the city area.. Don't want to get robbed of my gear..

Goto this link on my web page..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/2900447#156043664

Before you completely write them off, download a few of these and print one or two to whatever size you want. The files on that page are the full-sized images, not thumbnails. I make several notes on that page regarding my experience in using the TZ3. It is a very nice camera if you have some post processing skills and are willing to do the work. As a DSLR user, my guess as to the answer of those two questions for youwould be you do, are you are.

A little bit of common sense should be employed regarding expectations about noise in any digital compact above the base ISO setting. I am constantly amazed to go to this page and see what this guy does with his Canon A620..

http://photo.net/photodb/presentatio...tion_id=317651

Scan those and take a look at the data regarding exposures. He's not jacking the ISO's up to 400 or higher in doing what he does.Be it full daylight or the middle of the night, he ALWAYS uses ISO 50. It does not seem to interfer with what he wants to do. For that matter, I just returned from Paris myself. Only a handful of times did I stray above ISO 200 in shooting these with my FZ50. The times I did, I shot RAW..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/3547385#200886345

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 11:39 AM   #16

philgib wrote:
Quote:
Greg,

I was amazed by the various prohibitions you have been mentioning.

Why are DSLRs forbidden in the places you mention ? Is this for business reason because some photographers have the monopoly of marketable pics, or for safety, like you would be tempted to knock out your neighbour with your $1000 zoom, or is because you could hide a terrorist gun inside ?

:evil:

Our world is getting somehow crazy...

Phil
Oh, it gets even more idiotic here in the US....

Just returned from France. Spent most of my time in Paris and took many, many images in places like the Louvre, Orsay and Rodin Museums. Beautiful places...the Louvre is unbelieveable, with art collections thatmuseums over here could only dream about being able to ever have or show. The only restrictions placed on anyone with a camera over there is, NO flash.

Here in Dallas, we have this cute little museum, the Dallas Museum of Art. Every once & awhile they have some travelling exhibitions worth going to see, and some decent stuff in their permanent collection worth making the trip downtown, but make no mistake...the DallasMuseum of Art is the ugly step-child compared to the Louvre, but you can't take a camera of any kind in there, and they are zealous about that rule to a fault, asare many/mostother museums I have visited in this country. I have not been to the mega museums in places like Washington DC or New York...hopefully they are more like Paris....I have been to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York that was, thankfully, very camera friendly.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 11:41 AM   #17

Amazing what this guy does with his powershot. Just been checking again the A570 IS. Having a Canon dslr it makes sense to stick with the brand. Will loose the wideangle but have manual controls on this powershot. I guess I just make a choice and practice with it to get the best results..
Old Oct 7, 2007, 9:54 PM   #18

Chowmonkey,

I held a refugee camp 2 months at the Surinam border 20 years ago, on the French side. Humidity is HUGE out there - close to 100%, you are almost guaranteed to get moisture inside the lens of the camera. It constantly rains and it is so hot the water on the ground becomes vapor right away. Add sweating hands to it, and cold water bottle on the other hand.

It is so damp I even had an electricity bulb constantly "on" inside my clothe commod to keep it dry or it would get dark moisture after 2 days.

If you can , fill up a zip bag with silica gel (what do you call it in English ?) and sink the camera inside it... That may help

For cases like riding a trunk boat onthe "Saint Laurent du Maroni" under a sudden and tremendous warm rain, this zip bag willbe a must. :G
philgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 2:45 AM   #19

I was in Surinam last year. There is humidity and I took this gel with me. However I never had any problems.. Shopowner in Holland adviced me not to worry too much as long as I would ventilate my gear when I returned to Holland. So don't leave the stuff in the back when you return..
Old Oct 10, 2007, 7:06 PM   #20

Final choice was made. I'm ordering the Lumix LX2. The wideangle and the RAW convinced me to be the best buy at this moment.. There will be better compacts in the future and maybe affordable digital rangefinders but for now I will settle with this cam.. Can use it next to my Canon dslr gear and make ok shots..