Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 6, 2007, 11:13 AM   #1

Hi, I'm looking for a p&s with 28mm wideangle. It's for situations where my dslr can't be used. I know Panasonic has some models but I hear alarming stories about lots of noise above iso 200. Is this true and are there good alternatives? I've seen a Fuji F480 launched recently but cannot find any review on that one..
ChowMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2007, 7:44 PM   #2

ChowMonkey wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I'm looking for a p&s with 28mm wideangle. It's for situations where my dslr can't be used.
There are a number of very fine wide angle lenses available for dSLRs. What situation would prevent you from using your dSLR?

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 12:26 AM   #3

TCav wrote:
Quote:
There are a number of very fine wide angle lenses available for dSLRs. What situation would prevent you from using your dSLR?

There are several places where DSLR's are NOT allowed. I cannot get one into any professional sporting venues in Dallas with the exception of the Texas Ranger's baseball park. No basketball, no hockey, no football.My daughter goes to a Big 12 college here in Texas and is in the marching band, but I cannot take a DSLR with a "long telephoto lens" into the stadium to try and pick her out in a band of over 500. Last year I was not allowed into the Cotton Bowl football game with a DSLR.

Yes, a DSLR would have been a superior piece of equipment to take to all of those events,but no, it did absolutely no good to own one.

There are plenty of reasons to want what the original poster is looking for.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 12:51 AM   #4

Yes, I understand that some people place restrictions upon how others might use the light they reflect. Personally, if I can see it, I think Ishould be able to record it, and if you don't like it, then don't appear in public.

But most of the examples you cite involve telephoto lenses, and the OP is asking about wide angle lenses. That's why I asked.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 1:26 AM   #5

I'll be going to one of my daughter's college football games in two weeks and will be taking my Panasonic TZ3. It's a day game, with a 1PM kickoff, so no worries about night time and high ISO issues. I'll be using the 280mm, full resolution tele endand the 3 MP mode which extends the reach to 420mm, plus I'll be using the 28mm end in combination with the(real, not just cropped)16:9 format to get a wide shot of the entire band on the field.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 1:42 AM   #6

My daughter-in-law is a member of the Washington Redskins Marching Band. (The Redskins are one of only two NFL Teams with Marching Bands. The other is the Baltimore Ravens.) She gets two free tickets for each home game, and I got to go to the season opener.

She's the one playing the clarinet. ([suB]:-)[/suB] )

FedEx Field doesn't have any restrictions on cameras. This was taken with my KM 5D and a Minolta 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6. I tried using a 2x TC but couldn't autofocus (and framing was tough too.)
Old Oct 7, 2007, 2:35 AM   #7

Very cool!

FedEX Field is massive...I can imagine how far away you were.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 7:49 AM   #8

In december I'll visit South America. There will be occasions I'm not bringing my dslr gear with me.. That's why I need a good wideangle compact to still be able to do some streetphotography..
ChowMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 9:33 AM   #9

Greg,

I was amazed by the various prohibitions you have been mentioning.

Why are DSLRs forbidden in the places you mention ? Is this for business reason because some photographers have the monopoly of marketable pics, or for safety, like you would be tempted to knock out your neighbour with your $1000 zoom, or is because you could hide a terrorist gun inside ?

:evil:

Our world is getting somehow crazy...

Phil
philgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 9:37 AM   #10

Chow,

I own and manage a youth hostel in Mexico. I can tell you most of backpackers got their DSLRs stolen during their trip from Canada to Argentina, and purchased a P&S to slip - and hide - in a pocket. So that is a very wise decision of yours.

Becareful, lots of Indiansstill think the camera is stealing their souls, so they would not enjoy you pointing at them. I have been to Panama (Indians Kuni) and Guyana (Indians Guarani), it wasjust the same as Mayas and Raramuris in Mexico (OK, Mexico is North America).

Beside a wide lens - I guess for landscapes and architecture - , I would seriously think about weather sealed cameras (Olympus ?) because of all the dust andrain you may find on your road.And a $100 8GBflash-drive (mechanism-free) to backup your best pics.

Cheers

Phil

philgib is offline   Reply With Quote