Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 12, 2007, 8:27 PM   #11

seashels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 6:58 AM   #12

seashels wrote:
Quote:
... The whole thing can be a bit overwhelming when you come from a basic snap shot camera.
The Art of photography doesn't change much, but the Science of photography sure does. Learning when to use which features is what will come to you only with experience. For instance, at the concert, you might have used Auto Bracket ( pg. 49 ), Exposure Compensation ( pg.48 ), and/or Metering Mode ( pg. 82 ). You may have even been able to use the FIREWORKS Scene Mode ( pg. 68 ). These are all tools that are available to you now, that you can take advantage of in tricky situations, and the only way to learn how they work is to try them out.

Have fun with it!
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 10:47 AM   #13

My "what the heck comment" was not meant to suggest that you forego the pleasure of watching the concert. It was meant to suggest that in the future you try various settings (at your leisure)and see how they turn out. Sometimes you can see the difference when enlarging the image on your LCD. Sometimes you need to view it full sized on your computer monitor. As others have suggested, your FZ8 has lots of settings. I was simply surprised that you were able to get any useable shots at ISO 100, which is very low for anything in low light. Most people at concerts use anything from ISO 400 to ISO 3200 (on some cameras) to freeze the action. I bought a Fuji S7000 about 4 years ago. I took it to a baskeball game just after buying it. Because I wasn't familiar with the results at ISO 400 and ISO 800 (reduced resolution), I ended up taking shots at ISOs 100 and 200 and my pictures weren't very sharp. Later, I took the camera out in the evening and tried taking pictures at various ISO and scene settings. I got familiar with what the S7000 could do. The second time I took that camera to a ball game, the pictures I took were much better.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 6:30 PM   #14

Sorry. I didn't mean to take offense. the whole thing has been stressing me out and I really don't know what I'm doing. I think what i ended up using (i tried everything) but positive I ended up with the intelligent iso (800 setting). Although some parts of movement were blurred I was happy with a couple of shots. I simply waited for bright light moments. There are however so many shots that are ''in the dark" and am hoping photoshop can lighten them up. What frustrated me was that I got better video footage so spent a lot of time getting a series of footage. It would have been nice not to spend so much time filming and just capturing some great shots. I Will keep practising. At least now I have forgotten about the canon and love my fz8. Thank you so much for your advice.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 6:33 PM   #15

seashels wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for everyones help". Will keep on reading this very thick manual. The concert came up quick and simply didn't get time to learn it all in time. Am still happy with the great zoom. I got to see some great close ups which I would not have gotten with a normal little compact.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 7:40 PM   #16

Concerts are hard places for almost anyone with any camera except a DSLR with a bright lens. Take it easy on yourself. Try some less challenging settings (light wise).
Old Oct 14, 2007, 8:18 AM   #17

Hello!

My name is Peter. I live in Hungary so I can't speak english very vell but I would like to buy a good digital kamera.

I see 5 cams:

-Kodak Z612 Z712 Z812
-Sony H7
-Panasonic LZ8
-Fuji S8000fd
-Canon S3 IS
-Olympus Sp550 US

Could you help me wich is the best or what is the order (sequence)?

Please help me

Thank you
sulep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 2:06 PM   #18

Peter,

Since your topic is somewhat new, you should start a new thread. When you open it, please answer these questions. How much money do you have to spend? How much do those cameras cost in your country? What do you want to take pictures of? Landscapes? Football (soccer) games? Do you take pictures in low light very often?

You are essentially asking for comparisons of most current superzooms. That's a lot. How about if you let us know which two or three cameras seem the most attractive to you and why you like them?

Your English is fine, much better than my Hungarian.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 5:22 PM   #19

Just remember we all use different forms of expressions so if unsure..... (robbo). Im australian and we use all different sayings at times.

I'm the last person who should be giving advice as these guys have been helping me out heaps. I had done A LOT of research. I had narrowed it down to the Kodak Easyshare z812 as I had heard good things about this line and it was the lastest one. I decided against it due to being told kodak is the camera that mostly comes in for repairs. Plus my friend has the z16 and although it seems like a good camera its slow. I compared in the shop the canon s 5is and the canon showed far better quality. I bought the fz8 and for a whole week wished I bought the canon s5is. I am now having fun with my fz8 but if I could give you any advice, don't read anymore reviews.... just go with the one you like the best. I went with the panasonic cause so many sales people told me the fz8, the type of battery and the price. If I had just walked into the shop, compared the 2 and ignored type of battery (either way I would have always have a spare) and price (doesn't matter what you pay you need to be happy with the purchase) I would have gone the canon. Although a lot heavier. In saying that they are all good cameras. I now love the fz8. It does take good pictures and is easy to use. Take robbos advice. and go with simply what you like. I personally next time would take a couple of pics and print them out first so i can compare quality for myself. Good luck!