Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 11, 2007, 7:27 AM   #1

I'm searching for a digital camera ad have been using the following featues to help narrow down the selections

Compact or SLR-like, wide agle (28mm) with zoom capability up to 18x(Minimum 4x), Image stabilized, minimum 7 mpxl, uncompressed data=RAW, manual focus feature

The Fuji S8000FD fits this criteria

I have come across some cameras--- Konica Minalta A200, A2 and the Olympus SP550UZ and SP560UZ, that use a sensor type of image stabilization. Is this an efffective alternative to optical IS?

Also I was wondering about sensor size-- the Fuli S8000FD uses a sensor that is 1/2.35"

Would it be a good idea to select a camera with a larger sensor(2/3" or 1/1.65" for instace) if it meant choosing a sensor type of IS? Picture quality is of most importance.

Ice
coloradoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2007, 8:03 AM   #2

coloradoice wrote:
Quote:
I have come across some cameras--- Konica Minalta A200, A2 and the Olympus SP550UZ and SP560UZ, that use a sensor type of image stabilization. Is this an efffective alternative to optical IS?
The best examples of both optical image stabilization and sensor shift image stabilization are about equal in their effectiveness, though there are some clunkers in both camps. The advantages one may have over the are mainly for dSLRs; for digicams, it doesn't matter much. There are, however, other methods of image stabilization that are much less effective, such as digital image stabilization. These are mostly used in camcorders, but will occasionally find their way into lower priced digicams. As an example, the Olympus E-510 employs sensor shift image stabilization, but the Olympus E-410 uses digital image stabilization. By reviewing the marketing drivel for these two cameras, you can see the subtle differences in the language used to describe the technology.

coloradoice wrote:
Quote:
Also I was wondering about sensor size-- the Fuli S8000FD uses a sensor that is 1/2.35"

Would it be a good idea to select a camera with a larger sensor(2/3" or 1/1.65" for instace) if it meant choosing a sensor type of IS? Picture quality is of most importance.
In general, when comparing two image sensors of the same resolution but different physical sizes, images from the larger image sensor will suffer less from noise at the same high ISO setting. But while there is a definite indication that, in general,this is true, some manufacturers have better techniques for handling noise than others. That's why reviews are so important.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 7:58 PM   #3

OK,since you mentioned that different manufactureres handle noise better than others, which manufacturers handle noise better?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Also, which maufacturers provide the best sensor shift technology for IS?
coloradoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 8:50 PM   #4

coloradoice wrote:
Quote:
OK,since you mentioned that different manufactureres handle noise better than others, which manufacturers handle noise better?
That's what the reviews are for. And for the class of camera you're looking for, I will defer to others. What I will say that what I've learned from watching the discussions here and elsewhere, is that some companies that deal with noise agressively often do so at the expense of image detail.

coloradoice wrote:
Quote:
Also, which maufacturers provide the best sensor shift technology for IS?
Most of the information flying around out there on this subject is subjective and anecdotal, but the best info I've seen is here: http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/4615...the-shake.html

But this article only discusses dSLRs.

While optial image stabilization and sensor shift image stabilization both have their fans and their critics, they can all agree that digital image stabilization is a poor substitute for either of them. Another thing they can agree on is that having image stabilizationis better than not having it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote