Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:52 AM   #1

Hey guys.
My names Tj from Australia.
The following is info in regards to two cameras both in AUD currency.
I am down to 2 cameras.

Canon A720IS - $293
Canon SD850is - $379

I have read so many reviews but wanting to find out what you guys think.
These are the only two that i am after so please no recommendations.

1 - Can you justify an extra $90 for the SD850IS over the A720IS ?

2 - Are both of these cameras better in terms of image quality than the SD700IS ?

Shots i am wanting to take - I want vibrant outdoor shots, good shots in lit areas inside. and those eBay close up shots.

Cheers
projectaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2007, 2:09 PM   #2

This ones fairly easy, and it all depends on your expectations...

Do you want a simple point & shoot that requires little input from you, now or down the road? If so, get the SD850.

Do you want AUTO ease with the future ability to set your own settingsas you learn more, get a little more creative and add more to the process yourself? If so, the only choice (between these two)is the A720.

The difference between the A and SD series is that simple. If you want little to no control, go for the SD series. If you want more, to total control, get the A series. The difference in price is, smaller costs more, and the SD series is very well made (except for the cheapSD1000). The A series is a very well made camera too. The SD series of bodies just seems to me to be made of a little higher quality materials on the outside, and Canon has always priced SD models higher than A series models.Are they "better", image quality-wise, than an SD700? That's NOT the reason behind companies introducing new models. No, being new bodies does not necessarily make them better in image quality...it may be better to one person and worse to another...that's a little too subjective a subject to be dealing in absolutes for everyone.

To me, they all are capable ofproducing good to excellentquality images in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, and they can produce pretty crummy images in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

This guy does pretty good work with an "older" A620...much nicer than a lot of stuff I see people shooting with DSLR's, but again, he's not just pointing and shooting either..

http://photo.net/photodb/presentatio...tion_id=317651
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:14 AM   #3

I would go with the A720. It's not as stylish as the SD. It's like getting an average all-around family car versus a sexy sports car The family car can get you around cheaper, more versatile (manual controls of the A720), with plenty of trunk space (6x optical zoom, optical IS).
whyzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:25 PM   #4

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
This ones fairly easy, and it all depends on your expectations...

Do you want a simple point & shoot that requires little input from you, now or down the road? If so, get the SD850.

Do you want AUTO ease with the future ability to set your own settingsas you learn more, get a little more creative and add more to the process yourself? If so, the only choice (between these two)is the A720.

The difference between the A and SD series is that simple. If you want little to no control, go for the SD series. If you want more, to total control, get the A series. The difference in price is, smaller costs more, and the SD series is very well made (except for the cheapSD1000). The A series is a very well made camera too. The SD series of bodies just seems to me to be made of a little higher quality materials on the outside, and Canon has always priced SD models higher than A series models.Are they "better", image quality-wise, than an SD700? That's NOT the reason behind companies introducing new models. No, being new bodies does not necessarily make them better in image quality...it may be better to one person and worse to another...that's a little too subjective a subject to be dealing in absolutes for everyone.

To me, they all are capable ofproducing good to excellentquality images in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, and they can produce pretty crummy images in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

This guy does pretty good work with an "older" A620...much nicer than a lot of stuff I see people shooting with DSLR's, but again, he's not just pointing and shooting either..

http://photo.net/photodb/presentatio...tion_id=317651
Yes, i totally agree with Greg.
You decide want an SD? I'd suggest you go for the SD870, it has wide angle. Only if you don't mind losing something at telephoto length..

I bought an A720IS after reading some reviews, here and elsewhere, and the picture quality is more than satisfying.
One thing i want to point out, that i was disappointed with: audio quality in movies is much, much worse than on the SD series. Audio resolution is 11025Hz, 8bit vs. 44100Hz, 16bit on SD's. It makes a BIG difference, believe me.
Maybe you're not at all interested, but i thought i'd let you know.

(I was surprised to find this thing out...i thought, darn, it's something Steve should have pointed out in his accurate and long review!)

Cheers
waterface is offline   Reply With Quote