Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 12, 2007, 3:15 PM   #1

Hi, I' m new here and thanks Steve for your review. So I' m in sport, outdoor activities, trekking.
I wouldlike to find a solid camera, light, minimum 4xzoom, picture qualities, aa batteries (more flexibility). Apart from the powershot 720, 650, 640 (witch I believe is better than the new one), Sx100 and maybe the olympus 780, witch other cameras can fit in?
And among the superzoom, witch one can bring me, rapidity, pictures qualities, low light, and aa batteries?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabjacob/
canon A540
well is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2007, 5:58 AM   #2

:?Anyone to give me some tips? I'm looking for a good all around compact, solid, with good pictures qualities and a minimum of 4*zoom. I'm taking pictures of landscape, sports, and the night. I have a preference for AA batteries.
Apparently only canon can give me that... so between the 720 (longer zoom, stabilisation) the 640 (larger sensor, flip screen), olympus 780 (all wheater, some little manual controls) witch one is the best?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabjacob/
canon A540
Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:45 AM   #3

I like the A720 since it's more recent (more updated processor, so faster and uses less power), has the optical IS. I thought it would be worse than A570 IS, due to its denser sensor, but according to one review site where they had quantitive measures between the two models, the A720 actually has lower noise and better dynamic range and colors. So the recent technological advances are making a difference.

I looked at the Kodak Z885 too, it has 5x optical, bigger sensor (1/1.8") but no IS, cheaper is the only advantage.
whyzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 8:41 PM   #4

For my type of usage the Canon A-650 is excellent. It is highly capable, and feature rich. And I already own the Canon G-7, but the A-650 is my favorite.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 5:55 AM   #5

I finally go with the canon sx100. 10*zoom, good high iso performance and it's easily fit in a trouser or jacket pocket. it's has some little chromatic aberration, but the iso performance is good for cation shooting. I think a good all around camera even if the aperture is quite common. Here some pictures