Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 12, 2007, 4:10 PM   #1

I am a photojournalist of 11 years who has stuck by Nikon for the majority of those years. From FA's to D1H's, D100, D70s to the lowly but well producing D40. Now, after years of sticking with Nikon (due to all the lenses and flash gizmos I currently own) I want to find the best camera out there with Wedding Portrait reproduction quality, speed, versatility, and durability. I am will to chuck all my Nikon gear if need be to do so. SO, what am I looking for? Any suggestions? Every site I go to seems to be bias toward either Canon or Nikon. I have come to the point where I don't even know which reviews to trust and I don't have the cash to just go out, buy a rig and take my chances.

This what I shoot daily in all the weather conditions the mountains of WV thows at me ... Football, Baseball, Soccer, Volleyball, portraits, fast action, landscapes, indoor, outdoor, advertising shoots, magazine fashion shoots, and the occasional wedding, plus I do a variety of fine arts photography for myself but have mostly relied on medium format film for these projects. GOD I MISS FILM!

Can anyone out there make any non-biased suggestions based on experience with a varity of gear ... HELP!
photojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2007, 4:27 PM   #2
Administrator

How about the new Nikon D3?

What's your budget?

What's your timeframe?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 4:42 PM   #3
Administrator

You said "on a budget", but you didn't mention one. ;-)

In a mid range model (i.e., advanced amateur model), look at the Sony DSLR-A700 and Canon EOS-40D.

If you already have a lot of Nikkor glass, look to the Nikon D200 and D300 (but, I can't comment on D300 image quality since the only images I've seen have either been low dynamic range, low ISO images; or overexposed higher ISO images).

The D3 looks sweet so far. So, if budget permitted, it would be a camera to considier. If you're not in a hurry, I'd also see what the new Sony "flagship" model has to offer (it will most likely be launched first quarter 2008, and will most likely be named the Sony DSLR-A900, a.k.a. Alpha 900).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 8:11 PM   #4

I am looking at a budget of about $3,000.00 (including the trade-in of some equipment). If I stick with Nikon I need to update my flash and my lenses, too. I usually like to carry no more than two lenses ... Fast Lenses. I would also consider keeping my D40 as a backup. One concern however is getting lenses whichfully functionwith both bodies. I have been looking at the Nikon D300 and like the 8fps, 12 megapixels and the fact that the body is noted as being dust and weather sealed. I work alot in snow, ice and rain during the fall, winter and spring. I'm not sure though whether the D300 is geared for function with G style AF-S Nikkor lenes like the D40.

What would be your take between the D300 and the Canon 5D?

And thanks for thespeedy reply
photojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 12:28 AM   #5
Super Moderator

In your line I would prefer the D200 or D300. You've been using Nikon for a long time and might find it takes a while to adjust to a Canon ergonomics.

The 5D doesn't sound nearly rugged enough for your needs.

The D200/300 will happily use any of the lenses you can use on the D40.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote