Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 13, 2007, 9:42 AM   #1

Ok non one answering back to my question. So I repeat again A compact camera, no dslr or long zoom too big for me, mimum 4*zoom, if some manual controls that's cool, good picture quality in every light situation, fast.
Thanks
well is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2007, 6:21 PM   #2

well wrote:
Quote:
A compact camera, no dslr or long zoom too big for me, mimum 4*zoom, ...
First 4X Zoom doesn't tell us anything. 4X is the ratio of the focal length lens at its widest angle to the focal length of the lens at its longest telephoto. A zoom lens that goes from a focal length of 5mm to a focal length of 20mm is a 4X zoom, but so is a zoom lens that goes from 20mm to 80mm.

Also, your stated goal of shooting outdoors/wildlife doesn't tell us anything either. "Outdoors" can be scenic overlooks on public parkways, or hiking on nature trails. "Wildlife" can be squirrels and raccoons in a municipal park, or it can be polar bears in the Arctic.

Can you be more specific?

well wrote:
Quote:
... good picture quality in every light situation, ...
Compact cameras have non-removable lenses with maximum apertures of about f/2.8, which is fairly dim, and that excludes a lot of lighting situations.

well wrote:
Quote:
...fast.
What do you mean "fast"? Do you mean you want something that has fast shutter speeds? Do you mean something that has very little shutter lag? Do you meansomething that can take a lot of photos in rapid succession?

Have you looked at Steve's Best Cameras List?

Does that give you any ideas?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 6:32 PM   #3

I've read your other posts, and think you've got a good selection. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the cameras you've mentioned, but I'm not a good one to draw distinctions between one P&S and another.

I personally would prefer rechargeable batteries to keep from adding toxic materials to our landfills every time batteries go dead, but I understand the attraction.

Also, I would stick with cameras that used SD cards, as they are faster, cheaper per megabyte, and more widely available.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 3:34 AM   #4

:?Thank you for your suggestion. By outdoor I was meaning hicking, bicycle in the woods, the mountaing, skiing ; wildlife meaning camping. I'm living in NOrway and the light here are changing continually. BUt you right even if the Olympus 780 seems to be be a good camera, I will probably take the A720 (sd card, manual controls).
But now I have an other dilemm, between the Canon S3 is or the Fuji S6000fd, wich one is the best in term of all around and qualities pictures? In dim and contrasty environment? Rapidity (shutter lag)?
I already read some test but I czn decide myself and I have no way here in Oslo to compare them physically?
Canon S3 : good video mode, stabilisation, flip screen, light, appealing fonctions, fast shutter lag, fast drive mode...
Fuji S6000fd : video? very good iso, manual zoom, fast shutter lag...
WICH ONE, here there are both around the same prices 550$ (maybe i should check on ebay)
Old Oct 14, 2007, 4:07 AM   #5

A significant difference between the two, as far as I'm concerned, is that the Fuji has a wider angle, while the Canon has a longer telephoto. That would make the Fuji better for landscapes, but the Canon better for wildlife.

That's one of those things people don't notice when all they look at is the 10X vs. 12X. It's the focal length that matters, not the zoom.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 6:13 AM   #6

Thanks for your reply, if you take a quicklook at my flickr, http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabjacob/, You can have an idea of the type of pictures, I'm taking.
Which one would you pick for you? Wich one is the more solid? Do u know anything about the vidoe on the fuji?
Old Oct 14, 2007, 8:56 AM   #7

I have no experience with either of them. I have a dSLR so I don't pay much attention to the discussions about P&S and Ultrazooms. What I do know is that some people are disappointed with the limited wide angle of the Canon, while nobody seems to care about the (comparitively) limited telephoto of the Fuji.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 2:54 PM   #8

I'm not decided yet but thanks for your help :-)