Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 14, 2007, 2:54 PM   #1

Hello!

My name is Peter. I live in Hungary so I can't speak english very vell but I would like to buy a good digital kamera.

I see 5 cams:

-Kodak Z612 Z712 Z812 (250$;310$; 330$ )
-Sony H7 (400$)
-Panasonic LZ8 (360$)
-Fuji S8000fd (435$)
-Canon S3 IS (430$)
-Olympus Sp550 US (455$)

I would spend max 400-450$.
Could you help me wich is the best or what is the order (sequence)?

I had an Panasonic TZ1 but I sell it and I would like to by a better digital camera.
I would like if the camera had optical image stabilizator and low ISO noise. I usually would use it in the nature and sometimes (2 or 3 times in a year) inside (dark, low light) forexample in a museum. And I wuldn't like to take a photo about football or formula 1.

Please help me

Thank you
sulep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2007, 5:17 PM   #2

Hi, Peter. I have an Olympus SP-550. It's not a bad camera. The 18X zoom is great. Here's what it is not good at: 1. focusing fast in anything less than good light (bright light), 2. focusing in low contrast settings (gray mountains shrouded in gray clouds). It takes good portraits and landscape shots. The 28mm wide angle setting is very nice for group portraits.

I used to have a Fuji S5200, which focused much faster and did better in low light. If you can get by without image stabilization, I would recommend that you consider the Fuji S6000fd, which goes from 28mm to 300mm, has a manual focus ring, and very, very good low light performance. My brother has one and it was awesome in taking pictures of a local 4th of July fireworks display.

Kodaks are easy to use. If you pick one of those, I would go for the Z812, which is supposed to be slightly better in low light.

I have not read that much about the Fuji S8000fd, but if I didn't already have the SP-550, I might choose it. I like the 27mm wide angle, the 18X zoom, and the dual memory card capacity (SD and xD).
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 5:49 AM   #3

Please help me choose a camera.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 9:11 AM   #4

Since you seem confused, just buy the new Panasonic FZ18. It costs $400US online at places like here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

It has a great , sharp 28-504mm zoom, it focuses fast in all light, it's newer, with more advanced features and from what I've seen in the many images posted in the Panasonic forum at DPReview, it does much better than the older FZ8 in lower light.

Go to DPReviewtake a look at some of the posts related to the FZ18 and look at some of the samples users are posting...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/se...amp;forum=1033

No digicam, short of the Fuji F series or buying a DSLR, is going to give great high ISO performance in low light, and I would notpicka Fuji F series myselfbecause the bodies aren't that great andthe lensesare very pedestrian in terms of zoom range.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 12:56 PM   #5

I see today a Fuji S8000fd in a shop. This Fuji is better than the Pana FZ8 and the Sony H7? Or it is about same? Which can take better picture? Fuji S8000fd has optical image stabilizator??? And it is good or teh panasonic or sony stabilizator technique is better?
Old Oct 15, 2007, 2:23 PM   #6

The Fuji S8000fd is brand new. I've seen little about it and fewer images taken with it. There should be some reviews coming out shortly. It looks very much like the Olympus SP550uz. In terms of handling, that will be a good thing. The Olympus SP550uz is a wonderful camera to handle. Hopefully, the Fuji model will perform a little better in terms of focus speed...something the Olympus does not do very well, but unlike so many complaintsI've seen, I think the image quality of the SP550uz is pretty good, and for subjects that you don't need lightening fast focusing, it does do "OK".

If you think you would be interested in the Fuji S8000fd, I'd just hold off a while longer and wait for some reviews to be posted.

Part of asking masses of people a question as generic as "which camera takes better pictures?" is, there are many of us who have built-in likes and dis-likes, which may be unfair to certain brands. In my case...I'm just not a fan of Sony digicams and would never recommend one to anyone, so don't take my leaving off the H7 as a comment by me that it's no good...I just don't like them...never have.

In the end only you know what you like or don't like. Read reviews. If you can, get to some stores and get these various cameras that you are interested in,in your hands. That will often eliminate several models if you don't like the wayone models'control layout is or how it "fits" in your hands.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:06 AM   #7

I have a Kodak Z712, I believe it has slightly better low-light performance than Z812 since they have the same sized sensor (1/2.5" CCD), but the Z712 has 7.1MP versus Z812's 8.1MP. The denser a sensor, the less light each pixel is able to pick up. Plus the Z712 is about $50 cheaper if you can do without the HD video. Z712 has 640x480 MPEG4 which is standard TV resolution.
whyzor is offline   Reply With Quote