Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 14, 2007, 6:45 PM   #1

I'm planning to get a DSLR, i've been reaaallllyy taking my time in chosing, and i guess i've limited the choices to Nikon D40x and Canon Rebel XTi , althought i considered the D40 too, i've read reviews but i'd like direct advice from people who tried the cams!
Thank you,
-Mazen
Mazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2007, 7:32 PM   #2

those are the two camera that i am trying to decide between also. would like some pros and cons of each
disnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 8:56 PM   #3

The Nikon has a better flash and better external flash system than Canon and some feel better ergonomics than the Canon camera (ergonomics is a personal thing so I strongly suggest you two handle both cameras). The nikon also has an ISO boost to 3200 which the Canon lacks

In the Canon's favor are a better focus system and much broader lens selection. This is due to two cost cutting moves by Nikon - removing the focus motor and downgrading the focus system (3 for nikon vs.9 focus points for Canon)on the D40 / D40x. The D40 also has a few more of it's features buried in menus if I recall but don't quote me on that.

Those issues asside, I think just about everything else is a fair match between the two.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 9:02 PM   #4

Both the D40X and the XTi are fine cameras, adn either will suit you well.

The Nikon D40X (and the D40) do not have their own internal autofocus motor, and so rely on the autofocus motors in the lens. While the selection of lenses for the D40/D40X is quite broad, only about 1/3 of Nikons lenses will work with it, and most of Nikon's best lenses are in the 2/3 that won't. Also, only about 1/3 of Sigma's lenses that will work with other Nikon dSLRs will work with the D40/D40X, and none of Tamron's or Tokina's lenses will work.

The Canon XTi is the 10MB version of Canon's first dSLR that was designed to take advantage of the smaller image sensor. All Canon's other dSLRs may use smaller image sensors but they continue to use the same full sized mirror box as their full frame dSLRs and 35mm film cameras. Canon's Digital Rebel series dSLRs use a smaller mirror box that is appropriate for the smaller image sensor, so they can make the camera smaller. Many people think it's too small, and that it feels like it's not well made.

Almost anyone here will tell you that the most important thing about a camera is how it feels to you. If you aren't comfortable holding and carrying it, then you'll leave it home. If you fumble around with the controls, then you'll miss important shots.

Any SLR owner will also tell you that the lens is at least half the camera, so you should make sure that the camera you buy will have the lenses you need for the type of photography you want to do.

Hope this helps. If you've got any other questions or concerns, say so. And good luck.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 9:19 PM   #5

That was really helpful, very apreciated thanks.
I've read reviews and comparisons between both and they pointed out that "out of the box" a D40 will take much better images then an XTi, and that the supplied XTi lense is a disappointment!
I don't think i would really need to change or have a wide variety of lenses, but then again you never know where photography will end with me, at least i should get something that will last me more then a couple years!!
and the D40 and D40x are exactly the same but the only difference would be the image size, but i also read that the 10MP is a bad move from nikon, as in they jumped from 6 to 10 right away.
The D40/D40x will handle the wide selection of nikon lenses but without autofocus right?
Does D40/x have any vertical grips available?!
one last thing
I tried both cameras, the thing is i like Nikon for some reason! and my impression of Canon is a good one too, but i found the wheel on the Canon more useful as it controls ISO instantly, is that possible with nikon?
i mean i was taking shots inside the store, and was instantly changing the darkness (sorry about the lack of technical words!) in the iamge to make it better and i think that's useful for me!
if that's possible in Nikon so be it!
Sorry to be long on this...but the help i'm getting is tempting to write and ask more
Thank you again
-Mazen

Old Oct 15, 2007, 10:17 AM   #6

Don't let the Nikon jump form 6 to 10MP throw you off. It's been debated endlessly with no clear or definitive proof that the extra 'reach' isn't worth it!
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 10:59 AM   #7

Mazen wrote:
Quote:
I've read reviews and comparisons between both and they pointed out that "out of the box" a D40 will take much better images then an XTi, ...

... and the D40 and D40x are exactly the same but the only difference would be the image size, but i also read that the 10MP is a bad move from nikon, as in they jumped from 6 to 10 right away.
What you're referring to is pixel density, or pixel pitch, and it's relationship to noise. As image sensors capture more and more data (megapixels) within the same physical size, the individual pixels are packed in tighter and tighter. When this happens, the likelyhood that any single pixel will be influenced by light from adjacent pixels increases, and the result is noise. This really only happens when the image sensor is very sensitive (at a high ISO setting) and is usually well controlled via camera settings, firmware upgrades, and in-camera and in-computer post-processing.

And "... the 10MP is a bad move from Nikon, as in they jumped from 6 to 10 right away" is just silly. Wherever you might have read that, you shouldn't take that particular source very seriously.

Mazen wrote:
Quote:
... that the supplied XTi lense is a disappointment!

I don't think i would really need to change or have a wide variety of lenses, but then again you never know where photography will end with me, at least i should get something that will last me more then a couple years!!

... The D40/D40x will handle the wide selection of nikon lenses but without autofocus right?
Yes, the kit lens for the Canon Digital Rebel series is not very good. But there are several good alternatives available. And more important, the type of photography you intend to do may mean that the kit lens would be of little value to you anyway, so you might be better off buying the body only, and getting a lens you will use.

And, yes, for the most part, the only feature of the majority of Nikon and Nikon-compatible lenses that doesn't work on the D40/D40X is the autofocus. And if the kind of photography you intend to do requires you to do a lot of manual focusing anyway, then that particular limitation won't affect you. But that doesn't give the Nikon D40X an advantage over the XTi; it just negates a disadvantage.

The issue you should be aware of is that the camera body is just one part of the whole camera, and quite possibly could be just a very small part of your eventual investment. If you don't know where photography might take you, the Nikon D40X and the Canon XTi are good places to start. But if your interest in photography is an outgrowth of an interest in Birding, SCUBA Diving,or Architecture (for instance) then in addition to shopping for camera bodies, you should be shopping for lenses and accessories too.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 12:00 PM   #8

Thanks for the detailed reply
The thing about "shopping for lenses" is that I'm not there yet, i mean i know what i want in a camera in terms of looks,functions and all that's because i've tried "cameras" in general, as for the lens i think i should start with the lens supplied or an entry level lens and know what lenses are all about!

Old Oct 15, 2007, 12:15 PM   #9

So, is there anything else you need to help you decide?

It seems to me that, since you've handles them both, and have a preference already, nothing you may have readhere should have swayed you from that. Am I correct?
Old Oct 15, 2007, 12:31 PM   #10

well as i said before i had this thing for Nikon, i have a Nikon S9, the performance isn't very good mainely because it's a very compact camera, so you give up the picture quality for size! but you can say i'm a Nikonian, came here to see if i confirm my thoughts or just turn them to Canon, in the end if you don't like the camera you have it will end up staying in the closet! that's not what i want.
I've read alot about both, just makes me more confused, (since i haven't yet defined the type of photography i want) so instead of reading hands-on reviews all the time i turned to the live feedback from people who have already tried these cams and have more experience then me!
I've posted many times and always got good replies
and i was expecting a reply from you (TCav)
I think i'll be going with the D40, since i'd rather pay 600 instead of 900$ at this point and seems to me i won't feel the difference!so why not pocket 300$ for further expenses, or to travel to some place i can use my cam !! lol
The other thing that brought me here was that i was talking to my uncle, and he said " Well if u want to spend money on an DSLR might aswell get a 10MP one, because you might have to change the 6MP one in a year or so"....will i need to change it soon?(From my point of view,NO, but i'd like to know what you think of that!)
Thanks again,