Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 24, 2007, 5:37 PM   #21

Here's another brief review of the z812: http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...sp?newsID=3204

I got my S5 today and am having fun playing with it. The video looks great, and it was really easy to hook it up to the TV to play it directly from my camera. The zoom is really neat too. I was used to 3x zoom and feel like so many more photo ops have been opened for me.

You might check out the dpreview forums if you haven't allready. There are a few discussions in the kodak forum regarding video and image quality for the z812. If you're really torn, you could take an SD card to a camera store, take a few shots/videos, watch them at home and see which you prefer.
slmulkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 6:26 PM   #22

slmulkey wrote:
Quote:
Here's another brief review of the z812: http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...sp?newsID=3204

I got my S5 today and am having fun playing with it. The video looks great, and it was really easy to hook it up to the TV to play it directly from my camera. The zoom is really neat too. I was used to 3x zoom and feel like so many more photo ops have been opened for me.

You might check out the dpreview forums if you haven't allready. There are a few discussions in the kodak forum regarding video and image quality for the z812. If you're really torn, you could take an SD card to a camera store, take a few shots/videos, watch them at home and see which you prefer.
I'll be sure to check out those forums, thanks.

I have considered (rather heavily) heading to the store and checking them out personally, I figure that is really the only way to truly know for sure.

Honestly, from what I have read I have my heart set on the S5.. now I'm just trying to figure out if my wallet will let me follow my heart or not.
k0rdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 8:50 PM   #23

I don't know about the Z812 but I have both the Z612 and the S5IS.

I find that printing pictures taken by the S5IS result in truer to life results than on the Z612. I did some tests taking the same scene using both cameras set at the same settings. When printing, I noticed the Z612 had darker results and needed some PP for me to have acceptable results.

The S5IS printed nicely without any PP.

Also, the S5IS has superior video - no loss of focus and audio when zooming, unlike the Kodaks.

The S5IS hot shoe is a winner also.

Overall, I am glad I paid the extra $ for the S5IS.
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 10:51 PM   #24

bayani wrote:
Quote:
I don't know about the Z812 but I have both the Z612 and the S5IS.

I find that printing pictures taken by the S5IS result in truer to life results than on the Z612. I did some tests taking the same scene using both cameras set at the same settings. When printing, I noticed the Z612 had darker results and needed some PP for me to have acceptable results.

The S5IS printed nicely without any PP.

Also, the S5IS has superior video - no loss of focus and audio when zooming, unlike the Kodaks.

The S5IS hot shoe is a winner also.

Overall, I am glad I paid the extra $ for the S5IS.
*nods*

Thank you for your input. The S5 seems to be the cream of the crop, at least in the ballpark that I'm looking.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 1:54 PM   #25

When you record video you record sound. No one has mentioned sound.The Kodak Z812 IS has a engineering problem distrorting loud or live sound or music which makes the recorded vid/sound unuseable. [Very distorted, over modulated]

Do not buy the Kodak Z812 if you ever plan to record a live group or band. ALL Z812's have this problem Kodak does not want to address,acknowledge, or correct.

Listen and view a Kodak Z812 IS file at these links:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=576892&forum_id=18&page= 3

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=580768&forum_id=87

Kodak needs to recall all Z812 IS, fix the AGC Distortion problem, and make good to all those who have purchased this model.Hopefully via firmware, otherwise replace all Z812's after they correct their goof up and early release without field testing in actual conditions.

DeltaSac, Sacramento, CA

Deltasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2007, 3:21 PM   #26

Yes, the Canon S-5 is well worth the extra $$. If you opt for an external flash to use on the hot shoe, I wote a 21 page tutorial on using the S-5 with an external flash. I hope you enjoy it. The S-5 is a great camera!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2007, 4:26 PM   #27

Deltasac wrote:
Quote:
When you record video you record sound. No one has mentioned sound.The Kodak Z812 IS has a engineering problem distrorting loud or live sound or music which makes the recorded vid/sound unuseable. [Very distorted, over modulated]

Do not buy the Kodak Z812 if you ever plan to record a live group or band. ALL Z812's have this problem Kodak does not want to address,acknowledge, or correct.

Listen and view a Kodak Z812 IS file at these links:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=576892&forum_id=18&page= 3

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=580768&forum_id=87

Kodak needs to recall all Z812 IS, fix the AGC Distortion problem, and make good to all those who have purchased this model.Hopefully via firmware, otherwise replace all Z812's after they correct their goof up and early release without field testing in actual conditions.

DeltaSac, Sacramento, CA

I don't know that I would use the video for a whole lot more than home video type situations, kids running around the yard and such, but still.. should I end up in that situation this is great information to know.

Thank you.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 9:28 PM   #28

k0rdell wr
Quote:
I don't know that I would use the video for a whole lot more than home video type situations, kids running around the yard and such, but still.. should I end up in that situation this is great information to know.

Thank you.
After I bought the S5 and tried the video, I found myself using it more. The results are really great and just a notch below a very good video cam.
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 10:58 PM   #29

Well I stopped by Best Buy on the way home from work tonight on a whim. Didn't have a memory card with me, but played around with the cameras a bit and got a feel for them.

I think deep down I was hoping that I'd fall in love with the z812 and give myself a push toward the lesser expensive camera..

..quite the opposite, actually. I really love the feel of the S5. So much so that I spent about 20 seconds with the z812 and spent the rest of the time playing around with the S5.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:40 PM   #30

The S5 is worth the extra money if you need the hot shoe and you need the longer video (4 gb on S5, 1 gb on S3); otherwise, the S5 has a slightly better resolution LCD screen and EVF, I think (plus the 8 mp vs. 6 mp on the S3). However, if your need wouldn't encompass neither requiring a hot shoe nor longer video, I see no reason to go the S5 route--especially given it's higher noise at the same ISO as the S3 (I was very surprised by this, but DPReview brought it out in sample shots in their reviews).
fotografo35 is offline   Reply With Quote