Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:19 AM   #11

Thank you Guys, and with that being said. If I were to go canon rebel XTI what lens would you go with for the needs listed? As well I'm guessing I would be looking for a Nikon D80 from the Nikon line and what lens would you recommend for that for my needs?

Once again thank you all for your advice on this

Winky

mrwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:28 AM   #12

JohnG:

What about the need for lenses with a maximum aperture off/2.0 for hockey? Would the ice increase the available light, so that mrwinky might be able to get away with f/2.8?

Of course, if the hockey games are outdoors, then this is all meaningless.

What about it mrwinky? Are the hockey games indoors or outdoors?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:40 AM   #13

mrwinky wrote:
Quote:
Thank you Guys, and with that being said. If I were to go canon rebel XTI what lens would you go with for the needs listed? As well I'm guessing I would be looking for a Nikon D80 from the Nikon line and what lens would you recommend for that for my needs?
As I said earlier, most of your needs should be satisfied with the kit lens whichever way you go.

For "Outdoor/Wildlife", it's hard for us to say which lens will work better for you. Each manufacturer has an inexpensive ($200-$300) telephoto zoom (70-210mm or 75-300mm, f/4 or so) that should get you started. Only after using this lens for a while will you discover if you need something longer and/or faster.

For your son's hockey games, again it's hard for us to say which lens will work better for you. I think you should probably just go with a 50mm f/1.8 to start. It's not expensive, and again, after using this lens for a while will you discover if you need something longer and/or faster.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:41 AM   #14

Well, you could start with the kit lens in the canon lineup - yes it isn't the best, BUT you're going to need to spend some money on a couple of other lenses:

Wildlife: Canon 70-300 ($460); if you have to go the budget route then the Sigma 70-300 ($200)

Hockey: The least expensive option is probably the 100mm 2.0 ($380). But realize you're not going to get a lot of reach - you need to be on the bench, or shooting over the glass or worst case right up on the glass. You can't shoot from 20 feet away from the ice. And realize with a prime you'll be very limited as to what action you'll be able to shoot - you're not going to be able to cover action all over the ice.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:48 AM   #15

Son's games are indoors, nice thing is I'll be in the time keepers box for most of them. So I'll be right beside the bench in most cases. I guess an off handed question I have is, I own a Rebel from 12 years ago with Kit lens (for the life of me I cant='t remember what it is) Would this lens work with the rebel xti? Am I better off ordering the body only adding on a 50 or 100mm lens for hockey and buying a 70-300 sigma lens to try and keep the costs down for the moment?

Thanks again guys

Winky

Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:06 PM   #16

If another family member has gone over to Nikon, then it might be smart to put Nikon at the top of your list if only for the fact that you may be able to share some lenses and/or accessories. There are many photographers who own D40's, D80's and even D200's. And of course... Nikon isn't sitting on its hands... enter the new D300 a very nice camera but like the E3 below... its a pricey investment. You might want to check out the Nikon 18-200mm zoom if you are not into carrying multiple lenses. Its not cheap, but its supposed to be pretty spectacular... although I doubt it'd be ideal for your indoor hockey action shots.

I've been reading the press releases of the new Oly E3 and if your budget was a bit more, you might want to look into it because they are making a very big deal of the new lenses that are being offered and the combination being the fastest autofocus in the world. Of course... it may all be marketing hype.

Maybe some other folks here can chime in, but I've found some sources for factory refurbished and guaranteed Nikon D80's with and without a kit lens that are starting under a grand. OTH, if you could find a gently used DSLR, you might be able to find a bundle that could include camera, multiple lenses, case, accessories for not much more. Its a bit risky because apparently Nikon will not transfer a warranty (or so I've read), so its the typical "Buyer Beware" deal.

We're both in the same general ballpark with regard to budget, and it'll be interesting to see where we go. There's great advice here.
drgrafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:59 PM   #17

drgrafix wrote:
Quote:
If another family member has gone over to Nikon, then it might be smart to put Nikon at the top of your list ...
... ESPECIALLY IF IT'S YOUR MOM!

... unless you would prefer not to be invited to birthdays, weddings and the like.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 1:43 PM   #18

Sigh so many choices. Here's a Question on the olympus, would this lens work for Hockey? I'm only asking since I think the lens included with Olympus would do everything I want. And I'm looking at the total cost of Camera And lens for best price/performance. As well I'll be doing outdoor sports as well (ie Baseball, lacrosse,football)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._EX_Macro.html

Winky

Old Oct 18, 2007, 8:46 PM   #19

Winky - that's a macro lens. Nice lens but slow to focus so not well suited for sports work.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 9:14 PM   #20

Thank you John. Does anyone have a recommendation of lens that would potentially work for hockey and sports that would fit the E515. Try to see the total price for each manufacutre with Camera and lens to suit my needs to help narrow down the search

Winky