Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:54 AM   #1

Since my wife and I moved to a small town, I'm finding myself wishing/wanting to do more photograpy on my spare time. One of our thoughts was taking action shots at our sons hockey games, we have already had some interest expressed that parents would be willing to buy these pictures from us down the road. Which when I thought about it might allow me down the road to offset the cost of this hobby as we go. Here's a list of things I want to do with my camera

Son's Hockey games (action shots)

Father in laws Cars

Outdoor wildlife

Portraits of friends and family

And Vacations

I'm starting to look at cameras now, but I'm more concerned on the lens that are out there for the different camera's

I'm looking at the following cameras, Rebel XT/XTI, Nikon D40 (mom has one she bought last week, hoping to try it out soon) And I'm really liking what Ive read on the E510. I really want some advice on what camera to get ( I'm hoping to get to the store in the next week or two to see how the Ergo of the camera feels in my hands cause that might take something out of the equation) and some Ideas of len's to handle my needs with out really breaking the bank to start.

Thanks in Advance

Winky

mrwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2007, 1:05 PM   #2

Canon has the largest selection of lenses of any of the dSLRs you've mentioned, followed closely by any Nikon except the D40/D40X. Then there's Pentax, followed about equally by the Nikon D40/D40X, the Sony and the Olympus.

If you'll considerused lenses, Canon, Nikon (except the D40/D40X) and Sony (Minolta Autofocus) have the largest selection, followed by Pentax. Used lenses for the Nikon D40/D40X and Olympus are virtually non-existant.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 1:41 PM   #3

Thank you for your response, are there lens you would recommend? for Each (i know that could be a long list) or for the activties that I'm looking at would would the lens inlcuded plus ??? lens work? So many questions And I appericate all of your answers thank you

Winky

Old Oct 17, 2007, 1:58 PM   #4

mrwinky wrote:
Quote:

Father in laws Cars

Outdoor wildlife

And Vacations

I'm starting to look at cameras now, but I'm more concerned on the lens that are out there for the different camera's
..and concerned you should be.

Before anyone starts making suggestions, it might help to know exactly, or approximately, what you're ready to spend. I could throw several lenses out there, brand name and third-party,that would allow you to capture what you're looking to do, many of which will cost WAY more than either of the cameras you listed. Are you looking for serious glass that will provide excellent coverage, or consumer glass that may be borderline efficient and cost effective?

Knowing the answer to that question will seriously narrow the selection/suggestions. The price range is huge, and you need to think really hard about the sports side of this. Economic, slow glass...even on a DSLR with it's lower noise levels, will be very borderline in being able to capture indoor action sports in arenas less bright than your average NHL hockey rink. The last type lens you want to be looking at to shoot a subject like that is an 18-250mm zoomlens with a maximum aperture of f6.3 at the tele end.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 2:59 PM   #5

If it weren't for the hockey games, I'd say that any of the cameras you are looking at will do very well. However, sports is a specialized application and to get professional looking shots you'll have to put some professional-type money toward it. It's not that you can't get good shots using more consumer type lenses, but they will be a compromise. If you are planning on making some money with the sports, then look at Canon - their more expensive cameras can do more frames per second and they offer outstanding fast lenses (for a very large price-tag). I don't know much about Canon's lens line because I can't afford them and I shoot (happily) with Pentax.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 3:41 PM   #6

Cost is something I havnt really nailed down. Was thinking $1000-$1500 for the Camera and Glass to get started. And your right on the hockey, it may just end up taking pictures for family that we are happy with since we don't have the budget to through out on high end equipment.

Winky

Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:31 PM   #7

mrwinky wrote:
Quote:
This is tricky. Fast shutter speeds require large apertures. Indoor sports usually requires a medium telephoto with a maximum aperture of f/2.0 or better, but since hockey is played on ice, you might be able to get away with f/2.8, but Idon't know.

Canon has a 100mm f/2.0 for less than $400. Canon and Nikon have 85mm f/1.8 lenses for less than $400. Pentax has a 77mm f/1.8 for less than $600, and a 70mm f/2.4 for a little over $400. Canon and Nikon have 50mm f/1.8 lenses for about $100. Pentax has a 50mm f/1.4 for less than $200, and Canon, Nikon and Sonyhave them for about $300. Sony's 85mm f/1.4 is $1,300 though.

(As an aside, none of these Nikon lenses will autofocus on the D40 or D40X.)

mrwinky wrote:
Quote:
Father in laws Cars
In good light, a kit lens should work well.

mrwinky wrote:
Quote:
Outdoor wildlife
Medium to long telephoto zoom. Everyone's got one of these.

mrwinky wrote:
Quote:

mrwinky wrote:
Quote:
And Vacations

mrwinky wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking at the following cameras, Rebel XT/XTI, Nikon D40 (mom has one she bought last week, hoping to try it out soon) And I'm really liking what Ive read on the E510. I really want some advice on what camera to get ( I'm hoping to get to the store in the next week or two to see how the Ergo of the camera feels in my hands cause that might take something out of the equation) and some Ideas of len's to handle my needs with out really breaking the bank to start.
Canon, Nikon, Leica (Panasonic)and Zeiss (Sony)make the best lenses in the world. Canon and Nikon use optical image stabilization in some of their lenses, which makes them larger, heavier and more expensive. Pentax, Sony and the Olympus E-510 use sensor shift image stabilization in the bodies, so it's available for use with any lens, but it's really most useful with telephotos. Olympus makes the smallest, lightest camera bodies, and, for equivalent focal lengths, the smallest, lightest lenses too.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:48 PM   #8

Wow some good info coming through here, The more I read the more I learn. I was woundering onwhat peoples thoughts are on the Olympus Evolt 510? What other lens then the 2 kitted lens should I be looking at. My concern on the Olympus is that there is not a large selection of lens out there, and well they are very pricey in my mind.

Winky

Old Oct 17, 2007, 9:48 PM   #9

The tough part for the E-510 will be the hockey games.

Olympus has the 35-100mm f/2.0 for $2,200 andthe 50mm f/2.0 for over $400.

But the 2 kit lenses should serve your other requirements nicely.

Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:41 AM   #10

Yeah, if it weren't for hockey the Oly kit is a great kit.

Lenses are going to be an issue as TCAV mentioned (no kit lens is going to work for indoor hockey).

Also focus will be an issue - at least it was on prior Oly models in low light. I also haven't seen any evidence that Oly has quality servo focus ability. Canon & Nikon dominate the pro sports shooting market and their servo focusing systems are top notch (Minolta had a great system too and the new Sony camera is supposed to be pretty good but it's tough to tell if the servo is on par with Canon / Nikon without some top notch sports shooters familiar with these other systems testing it). Just because a camera can focus quickly on a stationary subject doesn't mean it can track a subject well.

And there is the ISO noise issue. The 510 is supposed to be much better than past Olys but from the reviews I've read it still lags behind competitors in this category.

So basically it comes down to how important the hockey is to you. If it's important I strongly advise staying with Canon or Nikon (as long as it isn't the d40/d40x which can't autofocus with the fast primes you may need for indoor hockey). For all your other needs, any DSLR currently on the market will do quite nicely (and then the Oly kit really gives you a lot of bang for the buck).

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote