Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 18, 2007, 2:14 PM   #1

Hello,

I had a Sony DSC-M1 camera that i got through one of those "Free Ipod!" type program several years back. It was a pretty good camera... took decent pictures, was very durable, very portable... well the flash finally blew back in April so i have been needing to get a new camera.

I decided i would wait till later in the year for newer models to come out and i'm glad i did.

I have been looking around pretty indecisively for a good deal and reading reviews (largely on this awesome site!)

Amazon has a deal right now where if you purchase any Canon Powershot camera and a Canon Pixma Printer... you get a $50 rebate.

I really liked the reviews for the SD870 IS model, and the portability appeals to me. I have a 2 year old son and the fact that it is small light and easily portable sounds great... It's $320 for the silver model and $340 for the black.

The Pixma Printer ip3500 is on sale for $55 and i read reviews on it which all seemed to be rather positive for a basic photo printer... $50 MIR making it $5? Yes please. haha

I was also looking at the S5 IS but it was out of my price range... i never even thought to check amazon. It's actually $5 less than the black 870 that i purchased. D'oh!

I have very little experience with photography outside of point and shoot but it does appeal to me (unfortunately, the price of the full on hobby does not hehe)

But the S5 IS seems a really good middle of the road camera... except it doesnt look small or light or portable at all. it looks big and bulky and complicated yet fun. The whole zoom and optional lens/filter is also a big draw... i'm torn!

Would you guys suggest going with the S5 over the 870 for my basic/n00b needs?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

splattered is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2007, 4:13 PM   #2

I would go with the s5, mainly because you said you have a two year old. I have a toddler as well, and having the flip screen to take photos on their level is an important feature.I just ordered mine (also taking advantage of the amazon deal) primarilly because of this and because it has agood video quality for a camera.If it is too heavy for you, I believe there is another more compact canon model that has a vari angle screen.
slmulkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 4:30 PM   #3

Also consider that the S5 has a considerably more powerful flash, and a hot shoe to mount a serious flash if you want it. More flash means that you get more stop-action shots indoors, and with a little one, you are probably going to think that is more important.

I've been shooting seriously for over 25 years, and I have to grin a little when I see people describe the S5 and similar cameras as big or bulky or unwieldy. They are a fraction of carrying a 35-mm rig, two or three lenses, and a big flash to get the same shots. I have a little Canon pocket digital camera, too, so I know what you mean about the comparison, but the S5 really isn't much to tote around compared to my camera backpack.
docmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 5:45 PM   #4

Thanks for the input guys!

I ran home for lunch and it was on the doorstep... i couldnt help but open the box and take a peek.

NICE.

The wife saw it, fell in love, and demanded i keep it.

So... i guess i'll have to look for a more advanced camera later on down the road closer to the holidays for myself.

I think i'll be more than happy with the 870 for now.

BTW - I watched the video review on CNET and the S5 is indeed way smaller than i imagined it to be from the pictures.

I'll just start saving for one now for christmas.

Old Nov 8, 2007, 3:18 PM   #5

So fari have been super pleased with the SD870 IS... though inside i have experienced orbs of light in my place from time to time (someone died in our place before we lived in it too :P )

Now i need to figure outa smaller and decent but affordable carry case... the official Canon one that i see all over the place looks ok but its just a belt clip model from what i can tell and it doesnt look like it has much room for accessories.

Speaking of accessories, what would be a good SD card to get for this camera? As of right now i am just using the 32MB card to take a handful of pictures and then transfer them via usb. I want to get a larger capacity memory card but there are a ton out there... and reviews ive read on a lot of sites suggest that paying for the extra speed cards isnt worth it because the difference is barely noticable.

Although, wheni take a picture using the color accent feature, it seems to turn off IS, and it takes a few seconds to take and record the picture. If im trying to use this mode on say a picture of my son, he always moves and the picture comes out blurred. I'm hoping that maybe a faster memory card could help with this.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 3:45 PM   #6
Administrator

splattered wrote:
Quote:
The wife saw it, fell in love, and demanded i keep it.
I wish my wife had that attitude about camera gear. :-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 7:48 PM   #7

I would get a 2 gig SD card. I like Transcend and SanDisk SD cards. You can get them cheaply at a number of places. I like Newegg, an etailer from California.

If you are taking a series of pictures (i.e. continuous or burst mode), maybe the speed of the card will make a difference. If you are taking just single shots, you are limited by the shutter lag of the camera. You can reduce shutter lag by pressing the shutter button half way down (some call this pre-focusing). If you do that, in many cases, the shutter lag shrinks to almost nothing.

One possible reason for blurry pictures of fast moving babies/small children is that the shutter speed is too slow. If that is the case, you can increase the ISO to maybe 400. Image quality at ISO 400 with that camera should be ok, and you will get a shutter speed 4 times faster than at ISO100, which should reduce or eliminate blur.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 5:51 PM   #8

If you still need an SD card, BestBuy has a PNY 133x SD 2GB card on sale this week for $29.99--If CC has it, you would be able to price match it at CC for 110% of the difference, or that would be $28.49. If for some reason neither place has the 133x PNY card, Staples/CC has the Sandisk Ultra II (equivalent to 60x speed) for $29.99. If that Sandisk is all they carry in stock, I've had Sandisk memory and never had trouble with it, so that should be a worry-free purchase...
fotografo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 6:44 AM   #9

We went with the SD850. It came down to size for us. I would take the S5 if size was not a factor.
Mekan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 3:13 PM   #10

I ended up buying a card this morning, i haven't checked the board in a week or two (since i've been sick w a cold)

Today i just purchased an A-Data 4GB SDHC Class 6 card for $30 after shipping from supermediastore with a 25% off promo code.

Wow... i just did research on the difference in speeds between SDHC class 6 and say 133x SD cards. 133x is a whole 14mbps faster. Dang.Then again Wikipedia says that write speeds may be generally lower than read speeds so who knows... ahh.

I really wanted to get a 4GB+ card though, so i guessi got the fastest speed available for that capacity within my budget.

Now i just need to figure out whata good durable portable case would be for this camera and i'm set.