Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 19, 2007, 7:08 PM   #1

Iam looking fora digital camera that has an excellent burst effect. i believe that is what it is known as.i have a very specific project that iwant to do and i need this to make it work. iwant to be able to snap pictures one after the other without stopping. is this something that is even in the camera or will i have to get something special. my price range is up to $1000. any help is greatly appreciated.
knewteknology is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2007, 8:33 PM   #2

There are a number of cameras that can do what you want, some can do as many as 9 shots per second (though not for $1000).

What other requirements do you have?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 8:36 PM   #3

Digital cameras, both Point & Shoot along with dSLRs have the burst capability (also the hybrid superzooms). This capability is further described or broken into both burst-rate and burst-depth.
Burst-rate is the rate or speed at which images are taken, for instance 2 fps or 2 frames per second. Some more expensive cameras allow you to specify/vary the burst rate.

Burst-depth is the number of continous images that can be taken. Depending on the design of the camera, it is usually expressed as a fixed number (usually dependent on the format of the image), for example 3 RAW or 7 JPG. The cameras with a fixed number of images, are usually dependent upon the amount of buffer memory to store the images to while they are written to the memory card or stick. These are usually entry level or lower price cameras. Higher end cameras may take continous images potentially until the memory card or stick is filled (possibly in the gigabytes). This is also a function of the memory card, where higher speed memory cards would allow faster writing to the media.
There are some additional items that you also need to know or ask. The ability to focus (or refocus) between images. The fixed focus usually enables more frames per second, while the ability to specify that refocus be used, results in fewer frames per second, but potentially with the subject in focus (and probably a useable image). The use of a flash is usually not included in burst, because of the continous need to recharge the flash between images, so all the information is based on available light.

It would help if you could describe your needs a bit better. How many frames per second and for how long, and if refocusing is needed, type of lighting. Depending on what your doing image stablization may help, if your holding the camera (not needed if using a tripod).

Hope that helps....

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 11:09 AM   #4

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
Digital cameras, both Point & Shoot along with dSLRs have the burst capability (also the hybrid superzooms). This capability is further described or broken into both burst-rate and burst-depth.
Burst-rate is the rate or speed at which images are taken, for instance 2 fps or 2 frames per second. Some more expensive cameras allow you to specify/vary the burst rate.

Burst-depth is the number of continous images that can be taken. Depending on the design of the camera, it is usually expressed as a fixed number (usually dependent on the format of the image), for example 3 RAW or 7 JPG. The cameras with a fixed number of images, are usually dependent upon the amount of buffer memory to store the images to while they are written to the memory card or stick. These are usually entry level or lower price cameras. Higher end cameras may take continous images potentially until the memory card or stick is filled (possibly in the gigabytes). This is also a function of the memory card, where higher speed memory cards would allow faster writing to the media.
There are some additional items that you also need to know or ask. The ability to focus (or refocus) between images. The fixed focus usually enables more frames per second, while the ability to specify that refocus be used, results in fewer frames per second, but potentially with the subject in focus (and probably a useable image). The use of a flash is usually not included in burst, because of the continous need to recharge the flash between images, so all the information is based on available light.

It would help if you could describe your needs a bit better. How many frames per second and for how long, and if refocusing is needed, type of lighting. Depending on what your doing image stablization may help, if your holding the camera (not needed if using a tripod).

Hope that helps....

Other than the burst effect im just looking for a solid camera. For the burst effect i would need the camera to be able to refocus. the majority of my work will be done on a tripod but some wont. i would like to be able to select how many frames per second but i would imagine that that comes with a more expensive camera. other than that i dont really need anything else. just a solid camera.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 12:25 PM   #5

knewteknology wrote:
Quote:
...just looking for a solid camera.
'Solid' as in 'durable', because you intend to use it in hostile environments?

knewteknology wrote:
Quote:
For the burst effect i would need the camera to be able to refocus.
... between shots? Will the subject be moving (as in sports)? Or will you be panning onto different subjects?

knewteknology wrote:
Quote:
i would like to be able to select how many frames per second ...
If what you're looking for is time lapse photography, yes, you can select the frame rate in some cameras. But for burst mode, you just hold the shutter button down and the camera takes pictures as fast as it can. There are a number of factors that can affect the frame rate, such as the camera's buffer size and speed, andthe flash memory card's write speed. But since you raised the issue, the autoexposure and focusing speed can also play a big part.

knewteknology wrote:
Quote:
other than that i dont really need anything else. just a solid camera.
There are lots of cameras that can do bursts under ideal conditions. Do you suppose you could tell us what conditions you have in mind for a camera?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 2:50 PM   #6

Most cameras have a burst mode, but the variations in speed and number of images that can be taken vary greatly. With some cameras, you can only get a limited number of shots at the highest resolution and quality, but at a reduced resolution, it will operate continuously. More information on the number of frames per second, and resolution you need would be helpful in making suggestions.

As an example, my Dimage 7hi will take about six shots at highest resolution and quality, at a rate of about 3fps, before filling the buffer and needing to spend some time writing to the memory card. It will also, at reduced resolution of 1280x960 pixels, shoot at 7fps for an extended number of shots. (don't know how many, as I haven't gotten to the limit yet) These can be used as either single images, or combined into a video file.

IIRC, there is a Samsung camera wich will operate similarly, at 15fps.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 3:23 PM   #7
Administrator

What kind of subjects (stationary objects, moving people, etc.) and in what conditions (indoors without flash, outdoors in good light, outdoors in low light...).

You'll need to be more specific with your requirements to make sure a camera can do what you need (looking at available ISO speeds and more).

You'll also want to take the lenses you need into consideration if you go with a dSLR (angle of view, brightness needed, optical quality, focus speed, and more). The type of shooting conditions and subjects will play an important role in the lens(es) needed.

You may also want to give more detail on print sizes needed and what the images will be used for.

Many cameras are going to have burst modes.

For example, in an under $1k dSLR, the Sony DSLR-A100 can take 10 Megapixel JPEG Fine images at roughly 3 frames per second, with no full buffer slowdown until a memory card is full with a fast card like a Sandisk Extreme III (and you can find 16GB cards now in some brands). This one is around $699 now for the camera body and an 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens.

But, depending on what you want to shoot and lens characteristics needed, there may be better choices, and there are faster cameras available.

Things like shutter life also come into the equation. You usually need to go to the >$1000 models if you want a dSLR type camera with shutter/mirror mechanisms designed to work for 100,000+ actuations without a failure. But, you may not even need a dSLR, depending on what you want to shoot, the condtions you plan on shooting in, the print/viewing sizes needed and purposes of the images, etc.

I'd be more specific and give information on exactly what you're trying to accomplish in order to get better responses.

For example, it wouldn't do you a lot of good if you bought a camera with 15 frames per second ability, if your shutter speed needed to be 1 second in duration for proper exposure in the lighting conditions you're shooting in (and things like light levels, lens brightness, available ISO speeds and more come into that type of equation).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 3:12 AM   #8

i will be shooting objects that are moving. i will need to catch as much as the objects movement as possible, small interval between shots. i will be inside and outside. when i am inside i will have set up my own lighting to best fit the shot. i do not have a lot of knowledge when it comes to technical stuff thats why it is hard for me to explain what i want. but i will be taking the pictures that i use the burst effect with and creating a movie using stills. when i say movie i mean 1-2 minute long clip. the lighting situations and objects i will be shooting will very. sometimes i will have people walking or saying something or nature growing or something being torn down over long period of time. and what i mean by solid is that i would like a all around good camera. not specifically durable. hope this helps a little bit.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 10:05 PM   #9

It seems you are looking for a camera with interval mode, which can make short video clips of the pictures. Something like the Olympus SP550uz should fill the bill. I am sure there are others, as well, but I am not up-to-date on all the models. As I mentioned, my Minolta will do this, but it is (as are all Minoltas) a discontinued model.

Good luck in your search.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 11:58 PM   #10

The Olympus SP-550 and SP-560have two very fast burst modes:

1. 15 pictures per second but only 1.3 megapixels per image

2. 7 pictures per second at 3 megapixels per image.

These burst modes only work at ISO 400 and above.

I think the Fuji S8000fd has similar burst rates but at slightly higher resolution: 2 and 4 megapixels.

The SP-550's super burst images are ok, not great. However, they would be very useful for someone trying to analyze a golf swing or break down adance move or a baseball pitcher's release motion.

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote