Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 20, 2007, 1:07 AM   #1

The best choice and why?

Sorry it´s FZ18 in the subject.
mc1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2007, 2:01 PM   #2

The Panasonic FZ-8 is a lot of camera for the money as long as you keep the ISO settings to 200 or below. The FZ-18 has a bit ISO capability but still suffers like most of the FZ series cameras from fine detail smearing due to the camera's heavy noise reduction built into the camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 3:31 PM   #3

Thank you very much.

And what you think about the Canon S3 IS vs Panasonic FZ8.
mc1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:40 AM   #4

If video clips are high on your priority list then go with the Canon S-3. Otherwise the FZ-8 is a value camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 13, 2007, 7:19 PM   #5

I just bought the FZ 18 and so far am quite pleased. I don't know about the noise issue so much but I know my old Kodak could push 400 but is was noisy. From the research I did it looks like the noise is quite livable with normal sized pictures and you may have to use some noise reduction software. The zoom and the IS are really really good.
thwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 9:26 PM   #6

thwim wrote:
Quote:
I did it looks like the noise is quite livable with normal sized pictures and you may have to use some noise reduction software.
The issue with most of the FZ series is not noise pre se but rather overly aggresive (in the opinion of many) noise reduction done in camera. Post-proccessing noise reduction software will not restore detail lost through in camera noise proccessing.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 10:12 AM   #7

AC makes an excellent point. When detail is lost to agressive NR, Noise Nija or Neat Image cannot restore that lost detail. I have a FZ-18 and have shot up to an ISO 800 setting but you will see some loss of detail. Here is a sample.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:14 AM   #8

Does not shootingin Raw get rid of ALL the noise reduction?

Also why would the the FZ18 give less noise than the FZ8? Don't they use the same lens and sensor and same noise reduction program?

I just bought the FZ8 for under $250. How can you beat that? Now if you need 18X zoom that could be the deciding factor towards the FZ18.

I am really enjoying the camera, but from what I can see no camera short of a DSL is going to give you pro quality shots for the super discerning eye.

The reason I did not go with the canon s5 is because it too suffers from a small sensor, noise and is more expensive. It may have better video but to me video is more of a sideshow than the main point of the camera. That is what dedicated video cameras are for.

I considered the Fuji models because they have bigger sensors but didn't like the fact that they did not have IS.

I am not going to put out more moneyinto a Point and Shoot until the sensors get larger and the ISO performances gets better. I am sure we will see a lot of improvement in the next few years. Who knows. Perhaps bigger sensors will make the DSL market a moot point except for the pros?

My 2 cents worth!
richwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:26 AM   #9

RichWolf-

You raise some very excellent points. A small sensor camera such as any of the FZ models are always going to be limited. Perhaps its time to bite the bullet and move to a DSLR. I recently found an excellent deal on an Olympus E-410 two lens kit in St Thomas and I like it a lot. Here is a sample.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 19, 2007, 4:49 PM   #10

Trust me if I had the dough rey me I would have a Canon XTI with a couple very high quaility zoom lenses. But that would be around $2,000. At $250 I am happy for now. This will be my last purchase for a while. I am waiting for the nexy wave of point and shoot cameras with bigger sensors.
richwolf is offline   Reply With Quote