Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 20, 2007, 11:24 AM   #1

Which camera is the better?

Canon S5is
Sony H9
Olympus SP550/SP560 or
Panasonic FZ18

What is the order?

sulep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2007, 9:10 AM   #2

Nobody?
Old Oct 21, 2007, 5:59 PM   #3

Peter,

How much do you want to spend? What are you taking pictures of? I told you before that I have the SP-550. However, if money were no object, I would probably get the SP-560 or the Fuji S8000fd. I would get the SP-560 because it seems to have solved some of the focusing problems of the SP-550 and hasface detection. I would pick the Fuji S8000fd because it reportedly has slightly better picture quality and because it can also use SD cards (beside xD cards). If you want to save money and take pictures in mainly daylight settings, thenI recommend going for the FZ-8.

I also recommend reading some online reviews of the cameras. Read the last page of Steve's reviews. Check out http://www.dcresource.com for another guy's opinion. Or check out http://www.dpreview.com or http://www.dpreview.com or http://www.megapixel.net for still other ideas. Lastly, if you have the chance, go to a camera shop and hold these cameras in your hand. Find out what feels the best for you.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 1:29 AM   #4

Suggest you go to the review section of this forum and check out the models you are interested in. There are good reviews also in dpreview.

After going through them, list down the important features or issues for you - this is something that no one else can give you an opinion on.

Each model has certain advantages. For instance, the Canon S5 has a hot-shoe for an external flash for better indoor fotos, the best video in its class, good face recognition for very nice exposures of people shots.

Other users claim the Pany FZ18 has better foto IQ. (How noticeable this becomes depends on what you plan to do with the fotos - from reviews, it generally says that if all you do is print on 4x6 or 5x7 prints, IQ is not noticeable.)

At the end of the day, your priority features (and lbudget) will dictate which camera you buy.

My personal needs were for the features of the S5 I outline above so I bought the S5.
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:04 AM   #5

In Hungary this cameras has same prize. Fuj is the cheapest. So you sad, Fuji S8000fd and Olympus SP560 is the best? I saw this cams and Sony H9 isn't so bad. What do you think? Sony H9 is same good then Fuji S8000 and Olympus?
Old Oct 22, 2007, 12:03 PM   #6

Nobody says any of these cameras is awful. Each camera has its strengths and weaknesses. If you read the reviews you will see what they are.

The S8000fd has only been available for a short time in the US. None of the big digital camera review sites has yet reviewed it. The Sony H9 has been out longer.

I read that it was responsive, but that the picture (image) quality wasn't the best, especially if you plan to make large prints and take pictures in low light:

The following is taking from the H9 review for www.dcresource.com

"Generally speaking, new cameras are improvements over their predecessors. Unfortunately, I don't think this is the case with the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H9. In most respects, it's actually worse than the DSC-H5 that came before it, which was generally regarded as one of the best ultra zoom cameras on the market. While some changes were for the better (more zoom power and improved camera performance), the H9 disappoints in several areas, most notably image quality, build quality, and usability. It's a decent choice for the 4 x 6 crowd, but fans of large prints, 100% on-screen viewing, or high ISO shooting should probably steer clear of the DSC-H9."

Some people are disappointed that the Fuji S8000fd doesn't have one of Fuji's special, low-light excellent, CCD's. However, it seems to do ok without one.

If you asked 10 people how those cameras ranked (which is number 1, which is number 2, which is number 3, etc), you would probably get 10 different answers.

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 12:46 PM   #7

sulep wrote:
Quote:

Canon S5is
Sony H9
Olympus SP550/SP560 or
Panasonic FZ18

What is the order?

All these generic "which is better?" questions that have noone answer, seem to be quite common recently....here's one from not that long ago...and here was my opinion only. You do know there is no one right answer for everyone...right? And the same thing applies to this new list as I said in the link below about needing to know what you're doing to get the best out of whatever you buy.

The original poster even looks familiar...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=87

One thing I will add, I do own an Olympus SP550 and would not put it in the same league with the Canon S5is or the Panasonic FZ18. Optically and AF speed-wise, it is inferior.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 1:56 PM   #8

I agree with Greg-

The answer you are looking for is much more complex and based really on your own requirements that you have not shared with us to date. The 15 to18X cameras are sort of a special breed. I bought an Olympus SP-550 and returned it. I have shot with the Panasonic FZ-18 for about a month and it is better, but nowhere as good as the consumer level DSLR cameras that for a little extra money spent can give you much more value and far greater photo capability.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 7:21 PM   #9

I did a lot research and went with the FZ 18. So far I have been quite pleased. The learning curve is a bit high. I like to take high contrast pictures and lots of zoom and this camera seems to work great for pictures like that.
thwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 9:28 PM   #10

sulep wrote:
Quote:

Canon S5is
Sony H9
Olympus SP550/SP560 or
Panasonic FZ18

What is the order?
Most or all of the above cameras are covered in this review, pages 11-19. From what I read, I would take the Canon S5 IS as #1 out of that list. However, look at the photo comparisons and the reviewer's explanations after the photos to help you decide. This was a very definitive review, and it left very little doubt between cameras it compared.
fotografo35 is offline   Reply With Quote