Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 23, 2007, 6:42 PM   #1

Are there any compact P&S with Aperture Priority mode? I hesitate to ask about full manual overide mode....

I was hoping that cam like canon SD600,630,750 would have such feature but it seem they do not.

Thanks!
ozvena is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2007, 9:33 PM   #2

Even if you find one, I'm not sure how useful AV will be on a compact camera. Typically they have only a few Aperture settings and the focal lenghts for compacts are very short so you won't see much difference in DOF by using the different settings. So if you really want to see affects of different aperture settings in a non-dslr you would need a digicam with a longer lens - which means it wouldn't be compact. Hope that made sense!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:27 AM   #3

There are a few. For Canon, you have to look at the A series, such as A720, A570...etc. Or the ultrazooms such as the new SX100 or S3/S5. The more expensive G7 or G9 also have aperture priority modes. Some of the advanced Kodak Z series cameras also have aperture priority modes.

The small sensors (compared to dSLRs) on these cameras means the aperture still not as big, but you can get some effects with macro shots. Or combined with zoom (which effectively increase focal length).

With my Kodak Z712 I can set the aperture from f/2.8 to f/11. which is quite a range for digital P&S.
whyzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 2:48 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Yes and with not a lot of point to it because you are probably diffraction limited at around f5.6 anyway.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 10:51 AM   #5

Cool! I just got A630...I was confused, I though that SD line is superior and has more features compared to A line. And I looked at SD line and they lacked manual modes while many in A had it.

I am sure I am not the only one confused by canon products...

A630 is bigger than I wanted but has full manual modes with AP, SP….
ozvena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:25 AM   #6

Good choice. Canon's lineup numbering scheme is confusing to say the least. The A means AA battery support supposedly, not "the beginner" line. They're an incredible value considering all the options you get. True dSLR has better quality and more meaningful aperture settings. But at 5x times the cost and up. You don't have to worry about breaking these and can carry them anywhere.
whyzor is offline   Reply With Quote