Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 25, 2007, 12:45 PM   #1

Hi all!

I am in search for new, good digital camera, and have money for either best non-DSLR camera (like Canon G9) or DSLR with default optics and flash (Looking at Canon D350 kit (18-55mm lens))

Take in consideration, that I am not excited about messing too much with manual settings and I'm sure will not have money for extra lenses for SLR.

So - witch will provide best picture indoors at "Auto" setting?

Thanx in advance!
raverlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2007, 2:28 PM   #2

G9 sounds perfect, just use it in Auto modeexactly like a P/S :-)

The DSLR WILL provide better quality but that will only show if you go for higher print sizes.
mweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 2:38 PM   #3

mweb wrote
Quote:
The DSLR WILL provide better quality but that will only show if you go for higher print sizes.
In image quality I am comparing these images:

Canon 350D:
http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/Ca...50d_iso100.JPG

Canon S5 (IMHO quite similar to G9)
http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/Ca...IS_ISO80v2.JPG

I can crearly see better quality of 350D. It seems that the settings are quite the same and I guess thet difference will be even more noticable at higher ISO settings. So I'm still undecided. :?

Old Oct 25, 2007, 2:44 PM   #4

Yup your faced with the dilemna of quality or conveniance, the larger sensor of the DSLR wins out every time in some aspects, but as a G7 owner I value respectable picture quality in a more conveniant form factor with zero trade-off regarding features and lens capability.
mweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 8:15 PM   #5

raverlv wrote:
Quote:
....search for new, good digital camera, and have money for either best non-DSLR camera (like Canon G9) or DSLR with default optics and flash (Looking at Canon D350 kit (18-55mm lens))....
This article, from one of the proprietors of my local camera shop,discusses some of the issues.....

http://www.wrexham-cameras.com/WHATS...ST-KOD-CAN.htm

Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 8:27 PM   #6

There's a lot to be said for a simple P&S digicam. But when you say you're looking for the best picture indoors at "Auto" setting, I can only suggest a dSLR, but not with the kit (18-55) lens.

The lenses on P&S digicams generally have a maximum aperture of about f/2.8, but only at the shortest focal length (widest angle). As you zoom in (use a longer focal length) the maximum aperture drops off quickly, so you need to use flash, a slower shutter speed and/or higher ISO, each of which introduce its own problems.

The kit lenses on entry level dSLRsgenerallystart off with a maximum aperture of f/3.5 at the shortest focal length, which is not an improvement.

But a great advantage of dSLRs over P&S digicams is the interchangeable lenses. And there are some very good lenses for dSLRs that have maximum apertures of f/2.8 throughout their zoom range. That means you can take photos indoors without flash, with reasonable shutter speeds, and reasonable ISO settings.

To be sure, these lenses don't come cheap. In fact, they can cost as much as some of the cameras they attach to. But if you want the best picture indoors at "Auto" setting, that's how you do it.

Consider these:

Attached Images

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 8:29 PM   #7

Yes - tough situation. Outdoors in good light the images from a camera like the G9 would be difficult to tell from the images of a DSLR for run-of-the-mill type of photos taken in auto mode and printed 4x6 or 5x7 (that's not the same thing as viewing a 100% crop on-line).

The DSLR will shine over digicam from ISO 200 upward. The DSLR also offers the ability to use the right lens for the job - often with much better optics and wider apertures than any digicam can provide. But that comes at a steep cost - both in money and convenience.

I'll also point out that while Canon's DSLRs have some of the best high ISO performance in the industry, their digicams are among the worst.

What type of indoor pics are you interested in taking?

The reason I ask is this - a digicam with a hot-shoe could use an external, bouncable flash like the 430ex. 10000% better then the pitiful internal flashes on a camera (dslrs included) - AND you can bounce the flash so you don't get a harsh look and never have red-eye. Obviously though - it's another piece of equipment - larger than the camera itself though.

But let me point something else out that is important. What makes the g9 so attractive is what it can do OUTSIDE of auto mode. Purely in auto mode I'm not sure it's any better than a host of other canon offerings - or any other digicam for that matter. Just some food for thought
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 3:22 AM   #8

Thanks for good points!

TCav - is there a fine indoor lense at around 300$? What specifications should I look for, if I want it to be good indoors? I'm already braking my bank with kit DSLR, and not sure that I can spend more.

JohnG - I was thinking about that too. My current camera also takes good outdoor photos, but indoors are terrible. I was also considering external flash, but I am planning to take lots of photos of my newborn baby and I am not sure that I can use flash then. Besides, as you noted, it is as large as camera itself.

Old Oct 26, 2007, 3:51 AM   #9

raverlv wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for good points!

TCav - is there a fine indoor lense at around 300$?
For a newborn (not really going to be moving anywhere) you could use a 50mm 1.8 lens ($70). As your baby grows 50mm will become too tight - but that's a year down the road. Spend the rest on a 430ex flash ($240) and between kit lens, 50mm 1.8 and flash you'll be golden.

bounced flash shot:

Available light shots with 1.8 / 2.0 lens (note: taken at high ISO- 1600,so need to use noise reduction software):

And, you can combine the two:

Just as a few examples
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 4:39 AM   #10

Thank you for beautiful examples JohnG!

btw. are "kit" (18-55) lenses THAT rubbish? May be it is good idea to get just extra flash, and use kit lens.