Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which would you choose between these?
Canon S5-IS 6 85.71%
Sony H9 1 14.29%
Other similar superzoom digicam - why? 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 25, 2007, 9:46 PM   #1

My KM-7D DLSR setup I have is just too much for the kind and amount of pictures I take now, and pretty much overkill for my needs. So I'll be selling my setup and looking to probably go with either the Canon S5-IS or the Sony H9. I've also looked at other cams as well, but have pretty much narrowed it down to these two.

I've read the pro reviews on both cameras at various sites, and have seen the image comparisons. I know both cameras have their +'s and -'s, but here's my pros to each, and why I'm looking at them.

Sony:
- longer zoom range
- 3" screen
- night shot
- HD output

Canon:
- flash hot shoe
- better rotating screen, but 1/2" smaller
- perhaps a bit better image quality?

I don't use a flash much with my current DLSR setup, so that's why I'm considering the Sony without one. My eyesight is now that I need reading glasses, so a bigger screen really helps. And I want a tilt/rotating screen - I've come across many situations where I wished my DLSR had it.

To those that have perhaps used one or the other, I'd really like to hear thoughts on image quality. I know it's not DSLR quality, but I don't need that and can post-process. Thanks in advance for any advice or info!
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:06 PM   #2
Administrator

If it's just the lugging around the lenses that bother you, mount a Sony 18-250mm f/3.5-5.6 DT AF Lens on it. Instant Ultrazoom (same angle of view you'd get using a 27-375mm lens on a 35mm camera). Then, you'd still have a camera capable of more extreme conditions with other lenses if shooting needs dictate.

OK -- no tilt and swivel LCD and it's a bit larger and heavier than the models you're looking at. You'll miss it though. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:58 PM   #3

Okay, I forgot to mention that taking movies is another factor in my decision and not having to lug around yet another device.

Yes, I'd probably miss my DSLR setup for some things, but in the end I'm pretty sure I'll be happier having a lighter load to carry around and still be able to be able to cover almost any shooting situation.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 10:34 AM   #4

I am going with JimC on this one!

Yes, I have done a LOT of work with the ultrazooms. I have even written a nuber of tutorials for them. They do a great job, but they are in the final analysis still limited when compared dead on with a consumer level DSLR camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 10:25 PM   #5

Okay -my S.O. talked me into keeping my setup, and your comments kind of had me thinking again. Yes, I know the limitations of the current and new crop of digicams, but I thought I could accept that. But after more thought, maybe not...

Anyway, I'll bekeeping my current KM 7D setup and lenses. Maybe an A-700 or future A-900 might be in my future sometime.

Regards,
Ron
Old Oct 27, 2007, 12:34 PM   #6

Ron-

That is excellent thinking. And your existing lenses would fit the A-700 or the A-900 perfectly.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2007, 9:01 PM   #7

Yeah, good thing Sony decided not to alienate the many existing Minolta A mount users when they took over.

I'm real curious see what that "pro" model A-900 will be like. But I suspect it'll be out of my price range andI'll likely have to go with the Sony A-700if or whenmy 7D fails.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 9:34 PM   #8
Administrator

The A700 is a nice camera.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 4:47 PM   #9

JimC wrote:
Quote:
The A700 is a nice camera.
That's what I've heard as well. Colors are reportedly a bit different, but AF accuracy and speed is supposed to be much improved. Still my 7D is running great since I've had the shutter assembly replaced for a first black frame issue.