Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 28, 2007, 3:29 PM   #1

Hi.... just need some help to narrow down my decision.....

Currently I shoot with a Fuji S5200....and felt this was a steal of a deal when I bought it....

It's been fun but now I'm ready to make the leap to slr.....

I can read all the reviews I wan't but in the end I suppose reviews are mostly opinion and they don't really address specific needs as such.....There are some facts in a review like megapixels, colour : ) , battery life, etc that just can't be disputed....but after that anything from wieght(how heavy it feels to an individual), feel, photo quality are more or less subjective to the photographer.....

Anyway....Pentax k100D or Olympus Evolt 410

Mostly landscape, senic, fly fishing pics required from the camera..........Wanted to capture more wildlife which is another reason I want to move to slr......

Here is a collection of some of my favourite shots and not so favourite shots : )......TheseI've taken over the past year and a halfwhen I started to take an interest in photography and purchased the Fuji......

http://newfoundlandimages.myphotoalbum.com/

Limiting factor in purchase....." Poor man : ) " must be one of these two models.....as price is the ultimate factor......

Looking forward to higher ISO and less grain/noise with the slr....

Very much looking forward to the advice from the people in this forum....

Thanks

Mike

Island Brook Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2007, 5:32 PM   #2

Odd choices.

For wildlife, the Pentax doesn't have a lot of long lenses available for it, and the Olympus does, but they're expensive.

Also, the Pentax has sensor shift image stabilization, but the Olympus doesn't. The E-510 has it, but the E-410 uses digital image stabilization which juggles the pixels it will use to create the image based on camera shake. It's the same method that a lot of camcorders use, but it's not generally thought of as good enough for hi-res still images.

Of the two, I'd say go with the Pentax.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2007, 5:51 PM   #3

Thanks so much....I didn't mean I wanted to persue strictly wildlife.....I like shooting different things....I just figured a 300mm lens would give me some flexability should I decide to hike about in search of a few critters.....

I was leaning towards the pentax....

thanks

MIke

Old Oct 28, 2007, 6:09 PM   #4

Island Brook Trout wrote:
Quote:
Thanks so much....I didn't mean I wanted to persue strictly wildlife.....I like shooting different things....I just figured a 300mm lens would give me some flexability should I decide to hike about in search of a few critters.....
I understand. For "landscape, scenic, fly fishing", you'll need a good wide angle to normal lens. In fact, except for indoors, a kit lens should work well.

But for wildlife, you'll need something longer. Pentax relies on third parties for its long lenses. Olympus will benefit from its smaller image sensor and 2.0X crop factor, but its good lenses are expensive, and Olympus is not well served by third parties. But the Olympus is smaller and lighter, and its lenses are smaller and lighter (for an equivalent angle of view), so depending how far you want to go when you "hike about in search of a few critters", that might be a consideration.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 7:10 PM   #5

I have the Pentax K100 and use it for all of what you are talking about (except I don't fly fish). I've done some birding, lots of landscape and more macro, along with a bit of street photography and architecture (mostly details and have been very happy with it - you can go to the Pentax part of this board and you'll see what I and others have taken with our cameras. There are some reasonably priced options for 300mm lenses that are good - I ended up waiting around for a used Pentax 300 prime lens - all of the various versions of the lens have excellent reputations (they vary by year made and capability, the one I bought is auto exposure but manual focus. It was cheaper and my budget couldn't stretch to the auto focus versions). The Pentax is quite capable of doing what you want. There are some very expensive longer lenses made, but they are also way too big and heavy for me to hike with.

However, as was pointed out, the Oly weighs less and that might be a deal breaker for some. I don't happen to mind the Pentax weight for day hiking and I'm a small female - you ight feel different. Both cameras can take excellent pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 2:42 PM   #6

Thanks Mtngal.....I tried searching for the pentax k100d images in the pentax forum...but the forum has just to many pages for a comfortable search........

Your talking to a person who knows nothing about DSLR photography TCav.........exactly how is the smaller olympus sensor a benifit?

Thanks
Old Oct 29, 2007, 3:08 PM   #7

The various dSLR sensors are smaller than a 35mm film frame. Imagine a 35mm picture, then take a bit off of each side - that's (moreor less)what you would get with a dSLR. How much you lose depends on the camera because the sensors aren't a standard size. For example - if you have a picture taken with a PentaxdSLR and a 50mm lens, you would get the same field of view as if you took a picturewith a film camera and a 75mm lens (Pentax uses a 1.5 multiplication factor). So it appears like the lens is longer than it really is. The Oly's sensor is smaller than the Pentax sensor, so a 50mm lens is like usinga 100mm lens (2.0 multiplication factor). That can be really useful for wildlife photography - a 300mm lens gives you the field of view you would get using a 600mm lens with the Oly, while it would be the same view as a 450mm lens with Pentax. The smaller sensor of the Oly also means that the lenses don't have to be as big,so they can be lighter.

On the other hand, it works in reverse for wide angle - it's much harder to get something really wide.

Some of my pictures, just miscellaneous pictures (nothing special): http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80and http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 5:07 PM   #8

Thanks......... I doubt I'll ever wrap my head around the technical side of photography especially I think as it relates to lenses....I hope it doesn't hinder my ability to shoot too much.....

I'mcomfortable (in so much as what i like to shoot) withall other aspects of picture taking as I used the Fuji S5200 in strickly manual mode.....but I suppose that's what shop keepers are for.......tell them what you want the lens for ....what you have to spend and hopefully if they are half honest they will set you in the right direction.....

Wonderful Picures by the way....

Mike

Old Nov 1, 2007, 4:46 AM   #9

The Tamron and Sigma cheap 70-300mm lenses beat ALL the camera manufacturers lenses at anywhere near their prices according to a big comparison review in a UK photography magazine recently. Therefore I wouldn't concern yourself about the current lack of good 300mm AF lenses for the Pentax. It's only if you're expecting to buy expensive glass should it be a concern. Here's a resized but not cropped picture from a K100D with Tamron 70-300 Di from 1100m away of the remaining end of a derelict pier (Kent, England).........

SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 7:25 AM   #10

SteveB wrote:
Quote:
The Tamron and Sigma cheap 70-300mm lenses beat ALL the camera manufacturers lenses at anywhere near their prices according to a big comparison review in a UK photography magazine recently. ...
While Sigma and Tamron do produce some really good lenses, some of which are on par with the offerings from Canon and Nikon, some real junk also comes out with their name on it. So I think you shouldcarefully evaluate each lens you're considering, and don't just base your decision on blanket statements like SteveB's.

PhotoDo.com, PhotoZone.com, SLRGear.com and others have user surveys, and sometimes objective measurements as well. I think that these should be important toolsto help you choose lenses AND cameras.