Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 29, 2007, 6:02 AM   #1

hello, everyone.

here I am again with the good old dilemma. a couple of weeks ago my girlfriend wanted to buy a fuji s5700 (or s700, why don't they use the same name anyway?). our good friend mrs. mtclimber gave us a couple of very good suggestions... but now, after fiddling with my d50 a little, she decided to spend a little extra. for extra features, handling, etc.

so now we're stuck between the fuji s6500fd (s6000fd) and the sony dsc-h7. close call! fuji has a super ccd which at 6mp offers better quality than sony's 8mp (judging from sample images). sony offers IS, is smaller and lighter. fuji is about to go out of production which bothers me a little. sony has a lower res lcd. fuji sells for 297 € (plus rechargeable AAs) at the only shop I found it at. sony sells for 280 € (battery included) and is available pretty much anywhere. fuji is 28-300mm, sony is 31-465mm. both seem wide enough though wider is better.

use is all around, her being an amateur seeking improvement and a camera that'll allow her to improve. both seem to fulfill that matter.

so, what's your personal opinion on the matter? any personal experiences? which one would you go for? or, to make things worse, any other options to throw in?

any help is greatly appreciated.

cheers.
kezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:45 PM   #2

The Sony seems to suffer from an overly aggressive noise reduction, which while it may seem to make your pictures come out better, it will also mean losing some fine detail in the process. Also, just from the laptop battery recall from Sony that topped 5 million last year, Sony's Q/A is really shoddy sometimes (depending on the department--the only one seeming to be good is their TV line), so my reading and research eliminates Sony as any kind of contender. That's all I can contribute for now... If you can find a Canon S3 IS, that might be a solid alternative, as it also has IS, and is supposed to have the best IS over the other brands (Kodak's doesn't always work as advertised in reviews of Z712/812, for example).
fotografo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 11:45 AM   #3

fotografo35 wrote:
Quote:
(Kodak's doesn't always work as advertised in reviews of Z712/812, for example).
Links? I see folks making that refence but no one is providing links.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 11:53 AM   #4

fotografo35 wrote:
Quote:
Also, just from the laptop battery recall from Sony that topped 5 million last year, Sony's Q/A is really shoddy sometimes (depending on the department--the only one seeming to be good is their TV line), so my reading and research eliminates Sony as any kind of contender.
Debatable logic here akin to making judgements on Suzuki motorcycles base on Suzuki Samaria of several years ago.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 12:28 PM   #5
Administrator

fotografo35 wrote:
Quote:
Also, just from the laptop battery recall from Sony that topped 5 million last year, Sony's Q/A is really shoddy sometimes (depending on the department--the only one seeming to be good is their TV line), so my reading and research eliminates Sony as any kind of contender.
They're all pretty close. Canon has their share of QC problems, too. Also, according to the latest JD Power Surveys for customer satisfaction, the Sony H series models were rated higher by customers surveyed than Canon's S series models in the picture quality area. ;-)

They both ranked average in other areas. Canon's SD series actually led customer satisfaction in the survey of premium point and shoot models. But, the S series lagged behind their SD series (rated average in all categories surveyed).

Kodak's Z series models were also rated very high in picture quality by those surveyed.

http://www.jdpower.com/electronics/r...oint-and-shoot

In DSLR models, Nikon led, followed by Sony. Canon scored below average in picture quality.

http://www.jdpower.com/electronics/r...a-ratings/dslr

But, I really don't think there is a whole lot of difference between most models within the same market niche anymore.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 1:05 PM   #6

Thanks for the links, Jim. Very interesting.

I also think there's a lot of truth in your last paragraph. I suspect most of us couldn't match picturesand make/model among good pictures from cameras within the same market niche (or even match bad photos!)