Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 13, 2007, 2:33 PM   #11

I am very interested in why the A100 is a worse choice than the rest?

I like my pic's sharp, and can always noiseninja then later should I have a problem with the amount of noise.

Minolta lenses are pretty scarce though I think. (In South Africa at least)
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 3:26 PM   #12

heyy! sorry for the delay
black friday is coming up;
and im not sure whether I should get an slr on around that date;
ummm I think I wanna cross out the canon rebel xt;
i'm aiming for a nikon d40 and sony alpha A100
help me narrow down my choice;

DSLRlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 4:07 PM   #13

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is Black Friday??? :?
Beejygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 4:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is Black Friday??? :?
"Black Friday" is the day after Thanksgiving, which is traditionally the kickoff of the Christmas retail selling season.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 9:45 PM   #15
Administrator

My vote would be for the Sony from what I heard you want to shoot so far (mostly portrait type stuff). It's only real weak area is higher ISO speeds, and it's better than most models you're looking at in other areas.

It's higher resolution with more features than the other models you're looking at (XT, D40), with a lot of bang for the buck for the camera that appears to be at the top of your budget.

You could also find bright, inexpensive Autofocus primes like a 50mm f/1.7 AF lens for it (and you couldn't find a similar 50mm for the D40 unless you used manual focus since it requires a lens with a built in focus motor).

A 50mm f/1.7 Autofocus Lens would make an inexpensive starter lens for portraits at under $100 on the used market. keh.com has quite a few of them in stock now. One in Excellent condition is only $84.00:

Minolta 50mm f/1.7 Autofocus Lens in EX condition for $84 at keh.com

If you look at their Minolta Autofocus Lenses section you'll see a much wider variety including brighter 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.4 Autofocus lenses when you have the budget for something else later. There are pages and pages of Minolta Autofocus primes and zoom lenses at keh.com. Also check the Minolta Autofocus Mount used listings at http://www.bhphotovideo.com

The 18-70mm kit lens with the Sony DSLR-A100 would also give you more focal range than most of the inexpensive kit lenses when you needed something wider or the flexbility of a zoom.

I'd get an external flash for it when budget permits, too (so you can bounce the flash for more even lighting). If you scroll down through the search results for DSLR-A100 at B&H, you'll see some compatible Sony flashes listed. You can also control those wirelessly using the A100's built in flash if you want to use one off camera. There are more flash models that work with it, too (from KM, Sigma, Metz and others).

Search results for Sony DSLR-A100 at B&H

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 6:14 PM   #16

alright so is the nikon d40 a good camera for a person who never had or owned a DSLR before? and i'm not familiar with this lenses thing;
can u use the kit lens for many different types of photography?
DSLRlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 6:36 PM   #17
Administrator

It seems to be a very well liked little camera. You could use the kit lens within it's limits. You may decide you want something with more focal range from wide to long later (how much zoom range you have), or something brighter for lower light use.

You're a bit limited on some lens types with the D40 unless you want to use manual focus (for example, an inexpensive Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF lens would not Autofocus on a D40, and the same thing would apply to a lens like a Nikon 85mm f/1.8 ). But, if you don't plan on shooting in low light without a flash, you probably wouldn't have to get lenses like that.

You'll find that a lot of inexepensive third party zooms won't Autofocus on a D40 either (no zoom lenses from Tamron or Tokina will, and only Sigma's HSM lenses will). So, you rule out some of the popular inxpensive zooms with a D40 if you want Autofocus.

There are a lot of choices now in Nikon lenses with AF-S (Silent Wave Focusing) and Sigma lenses with HSM (Hypersonic Motor Focusing) that would Autofocus on a D40. Using one just leaves some gaps the lens lineup for some lens types, and you could end up paying more for some of the zooms around, depending on what focal range/brightness you look at. You'd also rule out a lot of inexpensive choices in the used market if you want Autofocus (since the D40 will only Autofocus with lenses that have a built in focus motor).

But, the available choices for a D40 should continue to improve as time passes (you should start to see more lenses with focus motors built in over time).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:34 AM   #18

Its just a thought, but if you could find a Nikon D-50 still in inventory, that would be a better choice than the D-40 or D40X. I agree with JimC, the Sony A-100 has a lot going for it, especiall the supply of used Minolta lenses at still pretty good prices.

If size is the feature that pointed you toward the Nikon D-40, take a look at the Canon XTI which has come down in price and is due for replacement, or the Olympus E-410.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:02 PM   #19

also, toss the Olympus E510 in the running, it seems to be a very nice 10mpx camera. You can get it with two lenses in a kit for under 800. If you check the reviews, it does very well. Nice iso response with low noise, good image quality and 'in camera' stabilization.

I have a D40 and can also say it is a great camera. The lens choices are increasing for it, which is nice.
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote