Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 3, 2007, 6:33 PM   #1

heyyyyy!!! i'm new here;
I never bought an dslr b4 and I can't decide between a nikon d40; canon rebel xt and sony alpha d100
plz help me~~
DSLRlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2007, 9:11 PM   #2

Um Well for starteres al of those Cameras you are considering have had upgrades and depending on your budget and lens choice you will find very differnt cameras. You need to read reviews and decide on what you want to Photograph, your level of expertise. Are you mostly going to point and shoot or do you want a lot of manual control.

I have listed the Camers below **loosely** in Cost/Quality order. ***And I said loosely.*** Note too there camera have differnt strengths, features, and even differnt software. The Canon's come with DPP Pro for free. The equvalnt Nikon Software is 100 extra. The Rebel Xti does full quality jpeg and raw and has more manual control, and anti dust. The Nikon d40x has a better built in flash and flash metering, less controls but most would argue might take marginally better shots on full auto.

The body price range is about $550 to $1500. Thats huge. Basically each camera is in its own price range quality etc.

Nikon D40X
Canon Rebel Xt
Canon 40D
Sony Alpha 700
Nikon D300
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 10:38 PM   #3

The D40, XT and α100 are all fine cameras, but with different capabilities and limitations. It would be helpful if you could tell us a little abouthow you would like to use your next camera.

Lenses are important, make up half the camera, andyour eventaual collection of lenses islikely torepresent alarger investment than the camera you choose. Of the three, the Canon has the largest selection of lenses, so if your intended uses are many and varied, this might be the best choice, though you might also conside the XTi. The Nikon has the second largest selection of lenses and accessories, with the Sony coming in last.

All three have some really fine lenses available, in fact, some of the finest lenses available for any camera.

Canon and Nikon use optical image stabilization to control motion blur due to camera shake, while the Sony uses sensor shift image stabilization. Optical image stabilization is in the lens, which makes the lenses that have itbigger, heavier and more expensive. Sensor shift image stabilization is in the camera body, so it is available for any lens you might use.

The Sony is a 10MP camera, while the XT is 8MP and the D40 is only 6MP. If you'll be enlarging your photos to greater than 8x10, or doing a lot of cropping, you might consider a 10MP camera. But Canon and Nikon also have 10MP versions of the models you've mentioned.

The Canon has 11 focus points and the Sony has 9, but the Nikon has only 3. If you'll be shooting sports or wildlife, more focus points are more likely to autofocus on your intended subject.

I hope this helps, but we'd be able to help you more if we knew what kinds of photos you wanted to take.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 11:46 PM   #4

In addition to some of the comments above, these three cameras are different sizes and will feel very different. That might be a big deal-breaker for some people, especially since all these cameras take excellent pictures.

I happen to use Pentax (and suggest that you takea look at theircameras as well, if you haven't already ruled them out for some reason)and have both a 6 mp and a 10 mp camera (K100 and K10). My personal opinion, based on my two cameras, is that the mp doesn't mean that much when it comes to image quality - I have taken many pictures with the 6 mp camera that print very nicely at 8 x 10 (I've never printed anything larger than that). I've also taken the same picture with both cameras, resized the full frame pictures to fit here and you can't tell the difference between them. So I wouldn't rule out a camera just because it "only" has 6 mp (in fact, the 6 mp camera does better in low light than the 10 mp camera).

Because all of your choices have many satisfied owners and all will take excellent pictures, I highly recommend that you go to a store and actually handle your choices. Some people will find one too small or too large, one won't be comfortable to hold, perhaps the buttons are too far away or too close to each other. Remember, the best camera in the world won't take the once-in-a-lifetime picture if it is sitting in your closet because you hate to carry/use it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 8:31 AM   #5

I agree with mtngal that you should go to a store and try the cameras yourself to see if the size and shape are comfortable and that the controls are where you can find and use them quickly.

But I think it's more important for you to narrow down your choices before you do that. If you go into a store unprepared, you might be tempted to give the salesperson's advice more weight than it deserves. After all, he or she may be an expert on dSLRs this week, but last week he or she may have been an expert on cell phones.

You came to the right place. Let these forum members help you narrow your choices (or broaden them, as the case may be.)
Old Nov 4, 2007, 2:41 PM   #6

all of u here are a real help. To start out with, i'll just use the kit lens.
I'm more interested in shooting people pics: portrait pics; group pics; anything that involves people.
I like nature, pets, etc and it would be cool to shoot some pics in those areas too. I would prefer a camera that takes really good people pics though.
the mp problem: I heard the d40x is worse than the d40. I know that resolution has nothing to do with picture quality but it does look different somehow;
itz not a real problem with me.
I actually checked out alot of dslrs. I'm also concerned about the price range; it must cost less than $650.
The Sony alpha slr went down to $599 and It has alot of features;
The Canon Rebel XT is in the $500 range and the Nikon d40 is $499.
(these are sale prices). The canon rebel xt's lcd is a real turn off.
I heard the Sony alpha has the same sensor as the nikon d80 even though the alpha slr is half the price.
As for the focus points; 3 points is almost nothing.
and is the sony that bad?
I heard Nikon stayed around for a long time and is the best; But I still don't know.

DSLRlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 3:26 PM   #7

DSLRlover wrote:
Quote:
To start out with, i'll just use the kit lens.
I'm more interested in shooting people pics: portrait pics; group pics; anything that involves people.
I like nature, pets, etc and it would be cool to shoot some pics in those areas too. I would prefer a camera that takes really good people pics though.
Any dSLR will do well in that situation. Of the three (in fact, among all dSLRs) the Canon kit lens is probably the least among equals. The Sony kit lens is good and it has the longest range (18-70 vs. 18-55)

DSLRlover wrote:
Quote:
I heard the d40x is worse than the d40.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that. I would agree that the 10MP D40X has a greater problem with noise than the 6MP D40 does. And, I think, the same could be said about the 10MP XTi vs. the 8MP XT, and the10MP Pentax K10D and the 6MP K100D (but I'll defer to mtngal on the Pentax.)

DSLRlover wrote:
Quote:
I know that resolution has nothing to do with picture quality but it does look different somehow;
itz not a real problem with me.
That's a bit of an overstatement. True, it would be difficult to tell the difference between an uncroppped 8x10 from a 6MP camera and a 10MP camera. (I have an 8x10 that is a ~70% crop of a shot I took with a 3MP P&S. You need an eye loupe to see the pixelation.) But a 10MP image gives you more to work with if you want to crop or do other post processing. So, presuming decent low ISO performance (which is pretty safe), I'd go with a 10MP dSLR over a 6MP dSLR any day.

DSLRlover wrote:
Quote:
The canon rebel xt's lcd is a real turn off.
How do you meant that?

DSLRlover wrote:
Quote:
I heard the Sony alpha has the same sensor as the nikon d80 even though the alpha slr is half the price.
... and is the sony that bad?
I hadn't heard that the D80 and the A100 share a common image sensor, but I had heard that the Pentax K10D and the A100 do. And the Sony isn't bad; Sony chose to maintain detail at the cost of noise at higher ISO settings. So the A100 produces amazingly detailed images, but at higher ISO settings, noise is more prominent in A100 images than in images from other cameras.

DSLRlover wrote:
Quote:
As for the focus points; 3 points is almost nothing.
Do you mean that it doesn't matter to you, or that it's a deal breaker.

DSLRlover wrote:
Quote:
I heard Nikon stayed around for a long time and is the best; But I still don't know.
Nikon has been around for quite some time, but so have the others. To be sure, Sony is the upstart, but Sony is picking up where Minolta left off.

While they are arguably one of the best, I wouldn't call them the best, unless you refined your criteria somewhat.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 10:00 PM   #8

Well with the additional information you have provided were a little better, knowing your needs. We now know what you like to shoot and how much you want to spend. We still do not know if you want a lot of manual control and intend to shoot a raw too.

The old Sony is not worth considering IMHO. compared to to the others. The New Sony 700 is very similar to the Nikon D300 with in camera Image Stablization but is outside your price range.

You basically have:

The Canon Rebel XT/XTI Of these I own the XT but would recommend the XTI Better features, dust removal etc.

The D40/40X is a no brainer The Extra resolultion of the d40x gives you room to crop, and is a better camera.

The Pentax is good but I understand you only get the best results with Raw and manaul which is fine if that is your work flow.

All three Cameras are fine. I lean towards the Canon because of the increased controls, included DPP Pro, High quality Jpeg+Raw Capture as opposed to Med and Raw with the Nikon in question. Price wise it is almost a draw now.

If on the other hand your going to shoot only Jpeg or RAW, or do not mind post process your raw images since you only have med jpegs + raw... The Nikon is very compelling.

I think the argument of Lens choice is somthing that matters to People with big lens budgets. Most consumers will either take the Kit or start with a single much higher quality lens alternative or two such as the Tamron 17-50mm and Maybe later add in a longer reaching lens.

And yes reading reviews and ***go play. ***Try in the store.*** Try a friends, etc. etc. A borrowed Rebel was how I fell in love with Dslr and divorce digicams. Also IMHO the MP thing saying too many MP effects quality while true to an extent with digicams does not hold too much water with Dslr because the senors are so much bigger. As has been said here many times lighting, technique, lens choice will have a larger effect then differences between these cameras senors. Not that they do not have any effect.

Good Luck

anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:27 AM   #9

Quote:
... The old Sony is not worth considering IMHO. compared to to the others. ...
This kind of comment shows up ocassionally, and is usually not accompanied by statements to support their HO.

The people in these forums with similiar HOs seem to have never tried the Sony A100; the people in these forums that have tried it seem to be impressed by it.

There are good reasons for not buying the Sony A100, but one of them should not be because of someone else's arbitrary HO.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 9:04 AM   #10

anthlover wrote:
Quote:
The D40/40X is a no brainer The Extra resolultion of the d40x gives you room to crop, and is a better camera.
I'm curious how the D40X is a better camera than the D40. It seemed to me that other than the sensor being 10 mp on the X version, there wasn't all that much difference between the two cameras. Having extra mp is sometimes nice, but I don't think it's necessarily worth around $150 extra, especially for a first dSLR. It can be for some people (birders come to mind) but not for others. People and pets don't particularly need extra mp, and many types of nature shots are wide-angle rather than telephoto, so again it might not be important. I'm curious if there is something I've missed entirely when it comes to the D40 vs. the D40X.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote