Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 5, 2007, 6:36 AM   #11

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
folks, let's keep things in perspective. The OP said she wanted pictures of the SPEAKER not the board itself. I'm with David on this. To get a shot of a speaker a digicam with external flash is the way to go. No need to be shooting at high ISOs and taking a photo or two of a speaker is not much of an imposition.

I SERIOUSLY doubt the click of a shutter is going to be taboo. Even a flash for two pictures (after all how many shots can you take of someone speaking?)

So, Georgia Girl, would flash use be OK?
Georgia Girl wrote:
Quote:
It is for company meetings to place the pictures in the quarterly newsletter. Thanks....
Come on, John. Do you really think she'll only be taking 4-8 photos each year?

If that is true, she should just hire a photographer, or better yet, find someone in the company that already has a digicam that can do the job.

But you know as well as I, that once someone has a good tool, they find more uses for it. Her current intention might be to only capture a speaker or two at a podium 4 times a year. But I don't think we should suggest a product that may serve her one stated purpose, yet would be entirely inappropriate for related purposes.

She wants to take indoor environmental portraits at a distance. What's wrong with suggesting something that can also do indoor group photos? ... at a distance? And now we're approaching the limit of what a flash can do, whether it be mounted on a P&S or a dSLR.

Even a cheap dSLR (relatively speaking) with a good fast lens may outperform a P&S with a speedlight, and may even cost less.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 7:49 AM   #12

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Even a cheap dSLR (relatively speaking) with a good fast lens may outperform a P&S with a speedlight, and may even cost less.
you can't have it both ways TCAV. A 'fast lens' cant do group shots.

And we're talking board room shots not auditorium - at most 20 feet away so a flash has no issues.

And you CANNOT COUNT on their being enough ambient light for a non flash photo. They may be giving a presentation - which means the lights are dimmed so people can see the infocus projection. prime is useless there. We're not talking about artistic preference for available light here. We're talking about needing to get a couple shots of people speaking at a meeting under potentially various lighting conditiions. Given those parameters a flash will guarantee you get printable shots. AND it's fairly inexpensive.

I realize you don't like flash but there is a reason why the press use a flash - it really is the right tool for the job. And we're not talking portrait style shots with shallow DOF, we're talking being able to clearly see the speaker for a publication in quarteryly newsletter. That was the stated purpose. So being true to that purpose a flash is more than adequate.

And I disagree with the assertion that when recommending a solution we should consder "related yet unstated possible future uses" for the camera. Otherwise the answer will always be: you need a DSLR - and some expensive lenses because youmight want to shoot a wedding - oh, so add a flash and bracket to the grocery list too. And, you might want to shoot some birds, so add a 400mm lens to the list.

The fact is - I've taken photos of public speakers before for my newspaper - absolutely a flash is the simplest, easiest and most reliable way to go

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 8:59 AM   #13

If there is a presentation going on with projected material then you're screwed either way. Their won't be enough available light and flash will not be appreciated at all.

From what Georgia Girl has described this is not a "public" speaker it's a business meeting. It's the kind of thing where the photographer should remain very much in the background as un-noticed as possible.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 11:18 AM   #14

tjsnaps wrote:
Quote:
From what Georgia Girl has described this is not a "public" speaker it's a business meeting. It's the kind of thing where the photographer should remain very much in the background as un-noticed as possible.
I hear what you're saying but I disagree. Any type of board meeting should follow an agenda. Presenters are often briefed ahead of time regarding the agenda, protocols they should follow, etc. If the taking of two pictures during the first few minutes of a presentation is a well established practice it wont be a disturbance. And, really, two pictures is all it should ever take. The photog shouldn't be there for 1/2 hour lurking in the background snapping away 30 pictures throughout the agenda. Like everything else it should be handled in a professional manner - with participants fully aware it will take place. The photog's interaction is 2 minutes tops per speaker. But this assumes the board is 'on board' with the concept of having photos taken and put in the newsletter.

PR is a normal part of any corporation - but it has to be handled professionally - which in photography terms means over and done with right off the bat.

But, in the end neither of our opinions matter much - what matters is the opinion of the company the OP works for. That's the important missing piece here. If the board hasn't been consulted yet they might not even WANTa photographer present.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote