Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 4, 2007, 6:11 AM   #1

I need help in choosing the right camera for taking pictures of speakers in low light meeting rooms at our board meetings. I have read a lot of your posts about the Panasonic, Kodak and Casio cameras but just when I think I know which one to buy I read another review and get very confused. Any help will be appreciated........
Georgia Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2007, 7:36 AM   #2

For indoor/low light shoots, I think you'd be best served by a dSLR. P&S digicams have relatively dim lenses, and try to make up for it but increasing the ISO but that increases the level of noise. There are P&S digicams that will do better than others in these conditions, but any dSLR with an appropriate lens will run rings around any P&S digicam for what you want to do.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:14 AM   #3

Georgia GIrl,

What is it you wish to do with the pictures? This is critical to deciding what level of quality you need.

And what type of 'board' meetings? There's a big difference between a home owner's association board and a corporation board.

The difference is - for a home owner's board where you just want photos for the website - you might get by with shots from some of the better performing high ISO digicams. But if you're wanting to take shots of a corporate board meeting and expect to use them in promotional materials that's a completely different ballgame and you're going to want better quality results than a digicam with no alternate light source can give you.

The next step up would be a digicam with hot shoe for an external flash.

The next step up is a DSLR. Whether or not you still need a flash depends on the light levels.

So, please provide some additional details on what type of 'board meetings' these are and what you intend to do with the photos.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 12:37 PM   #4

It is for company meetings to place the pictures in the quarterly newsletter. Thanks....
Georgia Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 1:17 PM   #5

I think a DSLR would be overkill in your situation. Assuming you have a nice white ceiling above you, I'd go for any old point and shoot with a hot shoe and an external flash with a tilt head. You can get a very nice wash of light, surely better that the available light in your meeting area, by bouncing the flash off of the ceiling... like this shot of mine, for example:

http://xs320.xs.to/xs320/07424/05.jpg

David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 3:05 PM   #6

Besides the low-light issue, the lenses on P&S digicams generally only go as wide as a 35mm lens on a film camera, and that's not usually wide enough for indoor group shots.

If you go with a P&S, you should make sure it goes wide enough.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 5:36 PM   #7

I could be wrong but I would be willing to bet the board members at these meeting are not going to appreciate the pop of a flash going off or the ca-chunk of a SLR mirror while they are trying to conduct a meeting. Their are a few digicams that have lenses as wide as 28mm (35mm equiv.) and as fast as 2.8 (that's only at the wide end) One of these might do the trick. I would suggest that you be the first to these meeting. Open the blinds make sure all the lights work etc. Even bring additional continuous soft lighting if the members don't mind it.

The Fuji S6000fd is supposed to do well in low light but I can't say from personal experiance.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 6:41 PM   #8

tjsnaps wrote:
Quote:
I could be wrong but I would be willing to bet the board members at these meeting are not going to appreciate the pop of a flash going off or the ca-chunk of a SLR mirror while they are trying to conduct a meeting. Their are a few digicams that have lenses as wide as 28mm (35mm equiv.) and as fast as 2.8 (that's only at the wide end) One of these might do the trick. I would suggest that you be the first to these meeting. Open the blinds make sure all the lights work etc. Even bring additional continuous soft lighting if the members don't mind it.

The Fuji S6000fd is supposed to do well in low light but I can't say from personal experiance.
While I have used my Fuji s6000fd primarily for shooting sports under stadium lights, I also used it to shoot my son's wedding and reception. This shot was taken at f3.2 at ISO 800 in a fairly poorly lit room on a rainy day with no flash.

There is no question that TCav is right in saying that a DSLR with a fast lens, or an external flash, is going to give you performance that can't be matched with a DSLR, but if tjsnaps point about noise/flash is a concern, the s6000fd would be hard to beat. There are certainly some limitations to the camera; were there not, I would not have bought a DSLR. But, I don't believe you'll beat it in low light with a point and shoot.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 7:04 PM   #9

folks, let's keep things in perspective. The OP said she wanted pictures of the SPEAKER not the board itself. I'm with David on this. To get a shot of a speaker a digicam with external flash is the way to go. No need to be shooting at high ISOs and taking a photo or two of a speaker is not much of an imposition.

I SERIOUSLY doubt the click of a shutter is going to be taboo. Even a flash for two pictures (after all how many shots can you take of someone speaking?)

So, Georgia Girl, would flash use be OK?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 8:01 PM   #10

If it's important take lots of shots especially if he/she in an anomatend speaker
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote