Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 4, 2007, 8:57 PM   #1

Hello guys!

I need a good quality compact digital camera.
I have no knowledge on this subject so I really need your help.

It'll be mostly used to take pictures of people and landscapes - I'm traveling a lot and I need a good quality reliable camera that could fit in my coat's pocket.
I occasionally visit various events, I participate in sports competitions so some kind of zoom would be nice.
Anyway the main criterion is picture quality (sharpness, nice colors) -I own a hp 435 but it's so terrible that I can't stand it any more.
Whenever my friends take pictures of me performing I don't even recognise myself.
Whenever I take pictures of people I met or places I visited when I get home and look at those pics they are just terrible. Everything looks different. I have to get rid of that hp.

In my country new cameras are rather expensive so I'm planning to buy something quite good but refurbished/used (I hope it won't affect picture quality?).

I nearly bought Canon a520 today but found out that it's battery cover is destroyed so I declined that offer.

I have possibility to buy refurbished Canon a520 for 100$ or also refurbished Canon a700 for around 190$. New ones cost twice as much.
Are they good? Is it worth to pay 2 times more for a700?
From what I read they are good and the only downfall I found was their looks but that's not that much of matter.

I probably won't use any manual settings, I'm not good at that and usually don't have time to set anything. I just want it to automatically take pictures in good quality so places and people would look like they do in reality without any distortion.

Sorry for my language and sorry if I sound ignorant or something but I have no knowledge on photography, I want to buy a good camera so I won't regret it later.

My budget is rather average. I want to get a good compact camera but at the same time I want good quality.
I have many other spendings so I want to save as much as I can but I also want my camera to take good pictures, I don't want to pay 2 times more for 1% better camera though but if it's really worth it I can pay more.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.
Simon
szymon247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:59 AM   #2

also which one is better.
Lumix lz3 or Canon a520?
Old Nov 19, 2007, 2:59 PM   #3

can anybody help me please?

Thank you in advance.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 3:29 PM   #4

Have you check Steve's Best Cameras list?

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

Check the Entry Level, Compact and Ultra-Compact list for the size and features you need. All give excellent result within their class.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote