Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which camera?
Panasonic FZ8 2 25.00%
Kodak Z712 IS 1 12.50%
Canon A720 IS 1 12.50%
Fujifilm S700 2 25.00%
Other-specify in post 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2007, 8:51 PM   #11

digicamdude wrote:
Quote:
Basically I have narrowed it down:
Panasonic FZ8: Pros-Raw mode, OIS, long zoom. Cons-horrible higher ISO quality.
Canon A720 IS: Pros-OIS, somewhat better higher ISO quality. Cons- no Raw mode, zoom not long.
Kodak Z712 IS: Pros-OIS, long zoom. Cons-no Raw, bad image quality?
Fujifilm S700: Pros-great image quality, very cheap, long zoom. Cons-no OIS, no Raw

Of all these cameras, which take the best images? Which have the best features? My budget is under $250, so I don't have much flexibility. Which camera is the best overall?
I am going to be shooting some photos indoors, but some outdoors too. Which has the best high ISO performance? Which has the best color?
Please vote, then post your reason for the vote.

Thanks,
digicamdude
Based on the posts I've seen the Z712 image quality stands up to the rest to the group. That said the FZ8 and A720 IS have excellent image quality in good light if 35-36mm is wide enough for your purpose.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 10:48 PM   #12

I would say in lower light they are both gonna be about the same. The Panasonic FZ series is about the best of the best when it comes to P&S cameras when you weigh all the benefits, features, and cost out. Since the latest release, FZ18, I would say it is safe to say they still have the lead, atleast in the long zoom cameras that is. If you are that worried about noise get neat Image and create a custom profile for your camera, you will be pleasantly surprised.
digitaldevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 10:53 PM   #13

I would say in lower light they are both gonna be about the same. The Panasonic FZ series is about the best of the best when it comes to P&S cameras when you weigh all the benefits, features, and cost out. Since the latest release, FZ18, I would say it is safe to say they still have the lead, atleast in the long zoom cameras that is. If you are that worried about noise get neat Image and create a custom profile for your camera, you will be pleasantly surprised.
digitaldevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 8:29 AM   #14

Thanks everyone for the replies. After much thought, I have decided on the Canon Powershot A720 IS. From image comparisons online (imaging-resource.com, digitalversus.com), I can see that the Canon has the best low light image quality. (Except for the S700, but it has no optical image stabilization). Not that it's that great, but it's better than the Kodak and far better than the Panasonic. The long zoom is not that important. The most important thing about a camera to me is image quality.
digicamdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 8:34 AM   #15

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
How about the new Panasonic FZ18?

It has an insane zoom range of 28-500mm f2.8-4.2 equivalent. The difference between 28mm and 35-39mm is very big at the wide angle end.

OK, so the Panasonic high ISO is slightly worse than the competition, but the Leica lenses are great.

All P&S high ISO performance is very poor, even the Fujis. So for lower-light work just make sure you use the flash.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_..._fz18_pg5.html
I agree. Plus the MEGA O.I.S.system (also on the FZ8)will allow you to keep the ISO settings lower.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote