Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 6, 2007, 3:24 PM   #1

Hello,

Like many I am caught between wife wants/needs and husband wants/needs. I will list these and then ask for the best compromise recomendation.

Wife:
Ease of use - point and shoot - fire and forget
Small enough to take in her pocket.
Good Macro
Fair - good movie
Good enough picture quality for family shots indoor and out

Husband:
Ease of use with room to learn and grow
Good zoom
Good movie
Small enough to take along without feeling like I packed for a trip
Great picture quality used mostly for family type of shots and some artsy shots.

I was set to pull the trigger on a Canon S5is but the size set me back. I guess I am looking at the G9, SD850, A710/A720, S5is but will consider any other brand/make you may suggest. Any help would be appreciated. I am going insane weighing all of these camera choices and options.

Mekan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2007, 10:02 AM   #2

For about the price of the S5is, you could get a Fujifilm S700 for you, and a A720is for the wife. The Fuji doesn't have as much room to grow as the S5is, but it's a very capable camera, especially for the price.
leaftye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 12:16 PM   #3

The a720 is by far the cheapest of the cameras in your group and it's been getting great reviews.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 2:30 PM   #4

leaftye wrote:
Quote:
For about the price of the S5is, you could get a Fujifilm S700 for you, and a A720is for the wife.* The Fuji doesn't have as much room to grow as the S5is, but it's a very capable camera, especially for the price.
I don't know why you would want him to get a A720 IS for just his wife. It has manual controls, which his wife doesn't care about. If he wants to get her a seperate camera, a Canon SD1000 would be a good choice. I would say the A720 IS would be a good choice for both of you. It has Image Stabilization, it is relatively portable, it has manual controls for him, but scene modes and automatic modes for his wife. The Fuji is not very portable, which he said he wanted. The Fuji also has a 4 second maximum exposure. If you want to get cool nightime shots (like of streets as cars go by) it would limit your creativity. It's higher ISO shots may be somewhat better than the Canon, but no Image Stabilization, so boosting the ISO is your only option in low light. With the Canon you have more flexibility overall.
digicamdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 4:17 PM   #5

digicamdude wrote:
Quote:
leaftye wrote:
Quote:
For about the price of the S5is, you could get a Fujifilm S700 for you, and a A720is for the wife.� The Fuji doesn't have as much room to grow as the S5is, but it's a very capable camera, especially for the price.
I don't know why you would want him to get a A720 IS for just his wife.
I'm not intimately familiar with spousal customs in Georgia, but on the West Coast, many husbands and wives do this thing called "sharing".

leaftye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 8:03 PM   #6

Well, I am not certain which camera we will choose. I think I have a pretty good grasp on the pros/cons of most of the compacts and subcompacts out there. We will goo to some stores tomorrow and take a look/feel/shots.

What I have decided is that we will go with the camera my wife is most happy with tomorrow. If it is a fully point and click small boy like the SD line or anything else I will evilly hold the choice against her as I beg for a dSLR 2009/2010. Cue Darth Vader music.....
Old Nov 10, 2007, 2:40 AM   #7

Why not snag something like the Panasonic FZ8? Very lightweight and small for a big zoom (like 36-432mm or something like that), you get all the AUTO and Program controls one can ever want, plus you get ALL the manual controls as well including manual focus!! The FZ8 has an awesome macro mode too! It is also alot smaller in person then it looks in pictures. I love ours! I even grab it over the K10D or the 20D sometimes too, lol! The real nice thing about the FZ8 is it has the ability to shoot in RAW!!! That opens up endless amounts of things one can do with pics.

If you are looking for something way more compact then Panasonic still has a nice model called the LX2 which has all the manual controls as well as AUTO & Programmed stuff. Not to mention it has a RAW mode as well!

You basically get alot of the benefits of a dSLR in these cameras, but in a much more compact and easier to use (if need be) body.
digitaldevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:46 AM   #8

Thanks for the recomendation. I will make sure we get our hands on one when we go shopping today.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 2:11 PM   #9

We just went back to the camera store today, and while I did end up with the S5is (Yay!!!) I was impressed with the A650is. The zoom is not nearly as large, so that may rule it out for you, but it was a very comfortable size and weight. It has a lot of nice features to give you control and the articulated LCD, which I find helpful. I also found that it was faster than the other Canons I've compared it to, all except the S5is. There was less annoying lag between pressing the shutter and getting the shot. However, it just couldn't compare IMO to the S5is, so that's the way we went. I'm not enthused to be lugging quite so much camera in my diaper bag every day, but the camera was so much more fun to use that I decided a compromise was out of the question.

Joy

joyelyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2007, 8:36 PM   #10

Well, the misses wants the ultra compact. She liked the SD850 more than the SD870 because the SD850 had more room for her thumb when holding the camera. I am concerned. Steve lists the SD870 as a best camera and he seems giddy in his review of the camera. On the other hand Steve seems simply ok with the SD850. The only difference between the camera that I see is the lens.

Should I encourage my wife to go for the 870? Will she grow comfortable with holding the camera?