Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 6, 2007, 5:15 PM   #1

Well I'm bummed out (underwhelmed) by the new cameras on the scene.

I was eagerly awaiting the Fuji s8000 or the Panasonic FZ-18, to replace my Panasonic FZ-10. Looking for something that has a large aperture at maximum zoom and good image characteristics at iso 800-1600.

These cameras aren't it.

I need to shoot action in dim lighting conditions without a flash-my grandchildren in plays.

I already have a dslr, but at best, it's awkward. I may as well stick with the FZ-10. sigh.

SLK
cshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2007, 5:24 PM   #2

I believe a great camera for you would be the Fujifilm S6000fd. It has great high ISO shots. While it lacks image stabilization, it is still a good camera. It is rather large, but it does have great photos.
digicamdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 11:36 PM   #3

I agree. The best superzoom for you is probably the S6000fd. Its sensor does quite well at ISO 800 and 1600. My brother has it and got some great fireworks shots this past July 4th. Very sharp.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 7:06 AM   #4
Administrator

cshel wrote:
Quote:
I need to shoot action in dim lighting conditions without a flash-my grandchildren in plays.

I already have a dslr, but at best, it's awkward.
I'd stick with the dSLR you already have for school plays without a flash. That's really your best bet.

Get yourself something like a 100mm f/2 if you don't already have one. That's my lens of choice for that type of thing, and I don't find a dSLR with a prime like that on it to be awkward. In most school lighting, you'd probably get around 1/160 second or so shooting at ISO 1600 at around f/2.0 - f/2.5. Even at that shutter speed, you're still going to get a bit of motion blur with rapid hand and foot movement. But, your percentage of keepers is not too bad with a combo like that.

Most of the Ultra Zoom type cameras with higher ISO speeds available are not going to have a very wide aperture available by the time you zoom in much with one. So, your shutter speeds are going to be much slower (motion blur with any subject movement, even at ISO 1600, if the lighting is the same as I've experienced shooting that kind of thing).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote