Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 7, 2007, 4:55 PM   #1

In 2005 I purchased a SONY DSC-W7 megapixel which wasat the time expensive,but has served me very well. However I do see the "hand shake" icon on the screen inmany of my pictures. Often I do get blurry pictures, so I find I must take multiple shots to ensure a sharp photo.The ISO on this model only goes up to 400 and don't know what advantage the higher ISO settings would do for me. I am wondering if it really pays to purchase a new camera at this time, and would appreciate your help. PS I do understand that IS does not help if the subject is moving.

Thanks in advance for your help.
knish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2007, 6:04 PM   #2

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/W80/W80A.HTM

The above link will guide you to the review on Sony w80. I am purchasing this camera for my son for Christmas. Image stablization, higher ISO performance, and size are the reasons I am choosing this camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 6:09 AM   #3

Thanks so much for the reply, great detailed information. This may push me over to the "it's time to go for the upgrade camera" camp. I hope your son enjoys his wonderful Christmas gift.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 6:40 AM   #4

Image stabilisation at an affordable price in a small camera (Kodak Z712 in my case), especially with highly-zoomed shots, has been the biggest breakthrough in my photography since my first digicam nearly6 years ago.

It comes in useful as one gets older, too, and puffed out when climbing a hill. Leaving the tripod behind makes for pleasanter outings, but if your heart's beating fast, it's hard to keep still!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 7:31 AM   #5

Oh I love your answer, very helpful explanation...particularly the part about getting old! Going to the Greek Isles and Athens thisSpring, and I wonder if I can ever get in shape to do all that climbing. The zoom stabilzation may be my answer. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 6:34 PM   #6

Is a tripod out of the question, it will certainly eliminate camera shake, especially with mirror lock up as well?

It will be a cheaper option as well, although not really suitablefor climbing up mountains unless you are pretty fit.
boywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 6:38 PM   #7

I have a small tripod for my current camera, but I never use it since I take casual photos mostly. Thanks for the idea though.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 5:43 PM   #8

I know exactly what you mean about blurry photos and multiple pictures.
I too have been pretty sceptical about just how good these "antishake" systems are.

But I bought a Fujifilm S8000fd and it has both Antishake (on the dial) and a "Dual IS" button (next to dial).

With both enabled I can actually take clear pictures in a moving vehicle and using optical zoom.

I'll try to uploaded a picture I took.
(I've resized it, and its roughly 4 times smaller than original, plus I blanked the 3 nearest license plates, resaved with 15% jpeg compression).

Both IS enabled, in a moving vehicle (approx: 90km/h = 56miles/h) on a curve, optical zoom is maxed (18x), around 5:39pm near Kitchener, autofocused on bridge.
We were driving about 50 to 70 feet behind the closest car in the pic.

None of my previous cameras could take a seriously clear picture like these, without a tripod.

Ultimately "try before you buy", even if you just go to bestbuy/walmart/localcamerashop/etc and get some hands on experiance with several camera's within your budget, thats all I did.

Attached Images

JH2007 is offline   Reply With Quote