Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 10, 2007, 4:15 AM   #1

Hello,

Well, i've put myself in a bit of a time crunch here, as the baby was not
supposed to be due for 2 weeks, but just got the call that they are on the way to the hospital...

My best friend is about to have her first baby. She has an old crappy camera that seems like it takes 10 secs to focus and take a photo, and about as long until you can take the next one.

I have decided to buy her a camera as a gift, one which i'm sure she will put to good
use. I was hoping to stay around the $300 range, but am not opposed to going
higher if its worth it.

Neither her nor her husband are techlike in any way. The are unlikely to read any long manauals to figure out how to do things with a camera. perhaps long nights awake will change that so, nothing overly complicated is needed.

I imagine the camera will be used for both indoor and outdoor baby shots. They also have a dog whom they currently take lots of photos of. Not looking for a huge camera, but if they are out and about they'll have a stroller, baby bags, etc so a pocket size camera is not a necessity.

Looking for something with a fast power on time, fast focus time to first shot, and fast recharge time between shots. don't want them to miss those precious moments! i would guess this would be one of the most important aspects

I've been looking at the following camera's, after a brief bit of research. by no means is this my short list, and i'm open to suggestions.

Canon PowerShot SD870IS
Canon PowerShot SD950IS
Canon PowerShot SD800
Canon PowerShot A720IS
(supposed to be a great camera, but i think the flash recharge time makes it a unacceptable choice)
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3K

but as i said, i'm open to any suggestions, comments, feedback, etc.

thank you for your time,

dave
davepharos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2007, 9:14 AM   #2

Dave,

When you get a response or make a decision, please let me know which camera you are going to purchase. I am an new mom and my current digital cam just does not capture the moment.

Thanks!

Stacey
Norahsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2007, 1:38 PM   #3

I have the same priorities, and I bought myself an S5is today. But that might be a lot of camera for your friend if that's not what she's looking for. With the batteries, it tips the scale right around a pound. But it is super fast. In the store, I was able to get more photos of my two year before she moved or stopped smiling than with any of the other cameras I tried. You can see my other thread http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=87 for my full description of why.

I had been into the smaller camera from Canon (had an S400), but I am less enamored with them than I was. For not much larger size, I like the A series better now. The new SDs drove me nuts while I was waiting for it to take the picture. Of the other ones I tried, the A650 impressed me the most. It was the next fastest, though you are paying for a lot of extra megapixels that are unnecessary.

Both the S5IS and A650is can be had for about $340 shipped through Amazon, but that won't get there as fast as you'd like. You'll be hard pressed to find them locally for that, and both are over your stated range. So, I don't know if this was useful at all.

Congrats to your friend. And take comfort in the fat that taking pics of a new newborn is pretty easy. You have a few weeks until the baby starts to smile. That's when you need things to get fast.

Joy
joyelyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 11:34 AM   #4

thanks for your reply joyelyse. the s5is is interesting to me as well now, based on your opinion though i've read the s3 is worth looking in to as well, when i was looking up the s5.

unfortuntely, i'm no closer to any sort of decision in this matter. the more research i do, the farther away i am.

still liking the s5 after a few days of owning it? i did notice you posted on some thread concerning your hesitation having to lug it around with you.

I do like that it uses AA's.

grrrr
Old Nov 12, 2007, 4:44 PM   #5

Dave:

If you look here, the reviewer at DPReview concludes the S5 IS isn't a significant improvement in image quality over the S3 IS. If you were only deciding between the S5 and S3, after you see this review, I think you may agree with me the S3 is the better choice. I personally eliminate Panasonic from the list, since the same reviewer says the processor Panasonic uses for that line has color bleeding problems (you'll see it, although it's not the same model you list). IIRC, this was the same gripe either CNet or a PCMag review had about the Lumix line.

For sure get something with Image Stabilization, so the Canon line is supposed to have the most reliable IS system. If this is truly a 'baby camera,' then you might only have one hand for the camera--which makes the IS a necessity.
fotografo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 5:26 PM   #6

I went with the S5 over the S3, because I wanted face recognition and the larger LCD, but the S3 is certainly a great choice as well and comes in cheaper ($50 at my last check.) The larger LCD is a battery suck, but it helps me a lot. All personal preference.

I am LOVING the camera so far, but I haven't had that much of an opportunity to really put it through it's paces. Size isn't bothering me one bit in my diaper bag or on my neck at the museum today, but I really just got it. I will need a few weeks to get a good sense.

Joy

Old Nov 13, 2007, 2:30 AM   #7

I agree with fotografo35. I think S3 is the better choice. It also has a great review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons3is/

I have got it for a month, and I think it is good enough as both a digital camera and video camera that I no longer need to haul around 2 cameras (digital and video) to every event. I purchased it at a deal price of $279, it's a great buy, you can look up

http://www.***************/searchdeals.php?deal_id=67117

the Canon PowerShot S3 IS remindsme why dSLRs still have competition for photo enthusiasts' hearts.
weing12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 11:32 AM   #8

well, i think i'll present her with two options, and let her decide whatshe wants

either the SD800 if she wants something smaller, or the S5is if she doesn't mind going larger.

thanks for your input
Old Nov 13, 2007, 3:31 PM   #9

Let us know what she chooses and how she likes it!
Old Nov 13, 2007, 6:04 PM   #10

she opted for the s5