Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 12, 2007, 7:48 AM   #1

I recently had my A620 stolen from inside a suitcase en route from Madrid to London Luton... still... it should have been in my hand luggage I know! no lectures please...

So question is ... what do I replace it with. The only things I felt I needed which the A620 didn't have were a) face detection, and b) a slightly larger screen.

I'll be honest, the A650IS ticks all my boxes, but the service recall is a issue for me. I will be buying the unit either a) mail order through the internet, or b) over the counter when visiting Hong Kong in 2 weeks time. Either way, dealing with the aftermath if I find that the unit I get is effected by the light leakage is not something I look forward to...

So then I looked at the A720IS, to be honest, i think this is probably the one for me, except there have been some issues reported of dodgy build quality (Chinese made as opposed to Japanese), personally I doubt Canon would migrate production to China if they felt that quality would suffer, so I do not want to be occused mself of any Xenophobia, but hopefully find some forum members who have actually got an A720 and can comment.

If the build quality is an issue, how about the 710IS? what are the differences. In certain light conditions (low light with flash) wit AiAF on my A620 used to get caught out and focus on the background instead of the face when taking snaps of my children (e.g. on holiday visiting a restaurant or bar in the evening, using flash).. hence this time around I would not consider something without Face Detection.

Forum members comments welcome...

Guy
guygamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2007, 8:09 AM   #2

Sorry.. the title was meant to read "even 570" not 750
Old Nov 12, 2007, 8:42 AM   #3
Administrator

Guy:

I moved this thread to our What Camera Should I Buy Forum which is where we ask members post these kinds of questions.

That way, the answers benefit anyone else looking for a new camera, and we don't have the same question being asked in multiple forums (with the answers to them scattered around).

Canon owners will still see the thread show up in the original forum you posted the question in, too (it just goes to the correct forum if you click on it now).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 10:52 AM   #4

I think the A720 IS would be a good choice for you. I don't believe there are any issues with build quality. The A650 IS is good too, but it is rather slow. Most people would only really need 7 or 8 megapixels. The only reason to have 12 megapixels is if you want to crop your images a lot.
If you don't need the 6x zoom lens or the extra megapixel, the A570 IS would also be a good choice.

I have also heard that the SX100 IS is good, so you may want to check into that if you want a longer zoom. It doesn't have a viewfinder, though, and there have been reviews I've seen that say the controls are a bit hard to get used to, so you would want to consider that when buying.
Overall, I'd say the A720 IS is a good choice for you.
digicamdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 11:10 AM   #5

If you had an A620 before, you'll love the A650 IS. digicamdude, how can you sayit's rather slow? Steve's timing test show the camera is plenty fast enough ("Shooting performance is very robust.").

THe A720 IS is also a great model. Either way, you're getting a great camera, I just feel you'll be more comfortable with the A650 as the controls and operation are very similar toyour old A620.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 11:24 AM   #6

guygamps wrote:
Quote:
but the service recall is a issue for me.
Don't let this tiny issue turn you away from the A650 IS either. It is very unlikely you will get an affected model if you are just now getting ready to buy it. Just be sure to check the serial number or take a look at Canon's Support Site to be sure the model you are buying won't have this issue.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 11:53 AM   #7

The reason I say it's slow is because it will take 3 seconds between shots without flash (from the review at CNET). It's not slow for a 12 megapixel camera (most are much slower), but compared to the A720 IS, which is like 1 to 1.5 seconds between shots, it is a tad slow.

But, if he doesn't mind that, I would agree it is a nice camera.
digicamdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 11:57 AM   #8

Thank you for your comments, basically both are good cameras... i should have also stated that I have a Panasonic DMC FZ50, which I use for "SLR stlye" gimmick free photography, but it is too bulky to take with me on the many short business trips I go on, meaning I need a second Point and Shoot camera... but... the reason I don't want an Ixus / Casio Exilim type thing is that although second camera needs to be P&S, I still on occasions like full manual control, I was in Syndey in July and took some stunning evening shots with the A620 experimenting with different ISO settings, aperture and shutter settings, all part of the learning process. Hence why I like Powershots, simplicity of a good p & S but plenty of manual control too.

Also I like having an optical viewfinder (which I miss when using the Panny cos it has an EVF and freezes after every shot when in burst mode). Many companies have stopped offering an optical viewfinder. This is a major problem for anyone who likes to taking panning shots of sporting action, you can't pan the camera and keep your subject in the frame without an optical viewfinder because the LCD displays invariably freeze the image as each frame is taken. Most reviews don't mention this, but concentrate on the battery saving advantage of not using the LCD display.

Also, although the A620 was terrific in terms of picture quality, it was just a tad bulky for my liking, and the A650 is larger a bit too, so since opening this discussion, and having given it further thought I am leaning towards the A720 IS.

Both are clearly good cameras.

Guy
Old Nov 12, 2007, 12:22 PM   #9

digicamdude wrote:
Quote:
The reason I say it's slow is because it will take 3 seconds between shots without flash (from the review at CNET). It's not slow for a 12 megapixel camera (most are much slower), but compared to the A720 IS, which is like 1 to 1.5 seconds between shots, it is a tad slow.

But, if he doesn't mind that, I would agree it is a nice camera.
digicamdude:

I see. If you look at the two reviews on this site, you'll see they are pretty similar in performance, with the exception of flash delay. See..

A650: "Using single drive mode, the shot to shot delay averaged 2 seconds without use of the flash, slowing to 2.8 - 3.5 seconds with the flash firing, depending on how far away your subject is."

A720: "When shooting in single shot mode, you can capture an image once every 1.9 seconds without a flash and 3.5 to 6 seconds with the flash, depending on the subject distance and battery life. "

Guy:

You have a good point, the A650 is not one that you would want to try an stuff in your pants pocket, lol. Was that Sydney, Australia? I once went to Brisbane, then Beerwah to see Steve Irwin (Rest in Peace)and the Australia Zoo. I absolutely love that country.

Old Nov 12, 2007, 1:00 PM   #10

Yes it was Sydney Australia, I have some good shots of Melbourne and of Sydney... whats the best way of sharing them with the Forum.

Guy