Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 13, 2007, 8:43 AM   #1

Hi,

I'm upgrading my old casio camera and i'm sure i'm ready for a semi-pro camera now. However, there are these two cameras which is driving me nuts. I can't decide on the H7 or S5. From what I've read by Steve and also forum members, they all have an equally huge fan base.

However, can i just ask once more, which would be a better buy? Which would be considered a better all round camera, meaning that it can take nice indoor and outdoor shots? Actually the main problem i'm having is that I'm not sure which would take better shots under high ISO? Anyone can comment?
simnatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:17 AM   #2

In general both cameras will have similar high ISO performance although the results may appear different due to differences in the default settings for sharpness and noise reduction. Both use 1/2.5 sensors.

At least one user who has both suggest that the H7 lens performance (sharpness)drops off in the last 3x of the telephoto range but on the other hand the H7 is a bit wider at the WA end (31 vs. 36 equiv.)

The S5 has a hot shoe for an external flash if you forsee a need for that in the future.

You might want to check http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...2118&ph=21
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:20 AM   #3

simnatic wrote:
Quote:
I can't decide on the H7 or S5. From what I've read by Steve and also forum members, they all have an equally huge fan base.
A worthy competitor to the S5is is the Kodak Z812is. I have a nearly identical Z712is, bought when I was trying to buy a Z612.

You should read the comparative reviews of the two, e.g.,

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...813571#p813571

and, absolutely essentially, get your hands on a specimen in a shop, see whether you like it or not, and take some images home on an SD card, before deciding.

Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 9:40 PM   #4

I'd go with the Canon S5 IS (given only those two choices) and based on what I saw in side-by-side photos here, pages 9-19. However, if you can find a site where these two are put 'head to head' again with side-by-side photos to compare at different ISOs, let that be your guide, as you're the one with the wallet...
fotografo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 11:02 PM   #5

Hi again guys,

Thank you for your suggestions. After reading all of it, i think my mind is made up for the Canon S5 IS. Canon seems to be the preferred choice for many, and for me, I used to own a Canon Camera and I feel that it is a more reliable choice. The S5 is selling for only $40 more where I live. They're already having the end of year promotion, dropped the price by $50, plus I'll get a rechargable battery kit, Canon Digital Kit and a 2GB SD Card. Sony is not offering much.

So, Canon S5 it is...
Old Nov 13, 2007, 11:05 PM   #6

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
In general both cameras will have similar high ISO performance although the results may appear different due to differences in the default settings for sharpness and noise reduction. Both use 1/2.5 sensors.

At least one user who has both suggest that the H7 lens performance (sharpness)drops off in the last 3x of the telephoto range but on the other hand the H7 is a bit wider at the WA end (31 vs. 36 equiv.)

The S5 has a hot shoe for an external flash if you forsee a need for that in the future.

You might want to check http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...2118&ph=21
Can I just ask, is the hot shoe only compatible with Canon Flash Units or can I use other brand flash units as well?
Old Nov 14, 2007, 9:18 AM   #7

simnatic wrote:
Quote:
Can I just ask, is the hot shoe only compatible with Canon Flash Units or can I use other brand flash units as well?
I'm no Canon expert but Sarah's (mtclimber) S5 flash tutorial mentions a specific Opteka unit that is compatible. I believe I've read of Sigma flash units that are compatible. In general any flash advertised as compatible with the Canon EOS DSLRs would be compatible and I suspect there are a number third-party flashes that are designed to that spec.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:00 AM   #8

simnatic wrote:
Quote:
The Sigma website claims they have a model compatible with Canon Speedlite 430EX. You might want to look at this. I don't know, however, about quality and reliability.
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote