Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: BEST pocket point-and-shoot???
Sony T100 0 0%
Fuji F31fd 1 100.00%
Canon SD750 0 0%
Canon SD850 IS 0 0%
Canon SD870 IS 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:18 AM   #1

I've been on a frantic search for a new camera. I am looking for the best-of-the-best, with no budget limitations.
- It has to be a pocket-size camera (for example I tried the TZ3 and as awesome as it is, it's just too bulky, but anything smaller than that works..)
- I like bright happy and saturated pictures with good color accuracy. I almost always have to do "auto" correction using some software afterwards to get the color saturation that I am looking for. Would be nice to avoid that extra step.
- I will often use the camera in low-light situations, (parties etc) without flash. So the important factors are A) low-light color accuary B) low-light noise levels C) ease of use - not having to fiddle around with settings to get a good shot; either having good auto performance or good presets for those "party" shots is important
- I hate having to adjust white balance on my skiing pictures.. I need a camera that requires minimal post-shot editing.

I've narrowed my choices down to:
- Sony T100/200 - the more reviews I read the more I realize that this one is highly discouraged for low-light photography.
- Fuji F31fd - I tried F50fd for a couple of weeks and was dissapointed. The colors were off and pictures were grey. Comparing F31 and F50 photos online, I haven't seen proof that F31fd is all that much better. Also, F31fd doesn't have IS.
- Canon SD750 or SD850 or SD870 - it seems (not sure though) that SD870 is the worst of the bunch. SD850 should be an improvement over SD750, but is it? Yes, it has IS - but how important is that really? (I've never had a camera without IS so I can't compare). It seems that SD750 is better in every category other than white balance, and has slightly lower resolution than SD850.
:?

I'll definitely consider any other recommendations based on hands-on experience..
koledgegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2007, 4:12 PM   #2

From what I've read, the Fuji F31fd is the best camera for low-light situations, but it's almost impossible to find now for a reasonable price.

Have you considered the Fuji F40fd? The colors seem very good to me - bright and well-saturated.

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/fujifilm/finepix_f40_fd
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 4:16 PM   #3

Sorry I messed up and created two posts. ac.smith, I'll move your response here..

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
"Best of the best"? As soon as you say "pocket size" compromises have to be introduced to achieve that goal. Different designs make different compromises so you have to choose which compromises are acceptable.

Have you looked at all the Compact (some of which are fairly pocketable) and Super-Compact class cameras on Steve's Best Camera list: http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

That should, at least give you a good idea of the trade-offs available in the pocket sized cameras.

Low-light/low noise and pocket-sized are generally conflicting requirements.
I looked through the list now.. here's what I think
- All of the cameras that I am considering are on it..
- The A-series for Canon sounds very attractive, but you can't stick it in a pocket.. well, I can't - why can't they just make it with a rechargable battery Kodak C875 is too big as well.
- I would prefer not to compromise on the wide angle: that only leaves Fuji F20, Olympus 1000, and Sony S700 on the "Compact" list; and Sony W200 in addition to Canons from the "Ultra's".
- Going through the sample pics for all these I still narrow it down to the Canon SD's and T100. Also, not sure why SD850 is not on the list - the picture quailty doesnt look worse than SD870. SD950 is lacking in some areas - based on the test shots, especially the boats.
I'm back to my original question...

As far as compromises - I am somewhat knowledgeable about cameras, but far less than many people on this forum. With my experience level it's hard for me to talk about things that I dont know or don't notice until someone points it out and asks - "do you need this".

Old Nov 13, 2007, 4:28 PM   #4

Andy, that's what I've seen on many forums too - F31 best for low-light. Maybe it is, but outdoor shots don't look too good - at least the comparison photos on this website.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...s/dscf2035.jpg
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...s/img_0013.jpg
Old Nov 13, 2007, 4:43 PM   #5

Steve's photos don't give you an accurate picture of what a camera can do. Did you check out the Pbase site? There are 1400 F40fd photos there of all different subjects and most of them look very good.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 4:55 PM   #6

I try to compare apples-to-apples. I got a lot of info from this site too:
http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...erformance.htm
http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...erformance.htm

I'm SO confused! Does anyone have hands-on experience with these?
Old Nov 13, 2007, 7:48 PM   #7

I understand where you are coming from, but present digicams without flash won't come near to giving you the results you want in low light situations. The best recommended camera is the F31 due to its larger sensor, good lens and high image quality. My DSLR with bounced add-on flash gives results that make the pictures look as if they were taken outside, and my F31 is passable for poor lighting without flash, but not for low light parties. I used to hate using flash with previous digicams, but a bounced flash is not so obtrusive and allows balanced lighting. Try getting a shot like below without flash with any camera in dim lighting.

Attached Images

1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 8:38 PM   #8

koledgegirl, I'm not sure how useful this will be but maybe this will help in your search. One of the factors to good low light performance is the size of the sensor (CCD). The smallest sensor in P&S camras is a 1/2.5 which in general terms doesn't deliver the best lowlight performance. The next larger size is 1/1.8 and larger yet 1/1.7 which is what the F31 uses. Some other cameras that use a 1/1.7 class sensor include the Kodak Z1275. I've have seen lowlight photos with the z1275 and it is capable but if if the C875 is too big it will be as well. Kodak appears to use the same sensor in the much smaller V1253 and V1253 camera although they're only go to 37mm on the wide end.

If you can't get a satisfactory solution from your current inquiry you might try searching the spec sheets on the manufacturer's site for 1/1.7 sensor camera with suitable WA lenses and then search photobucket, etc. for photos made by those cameras.

Good luck.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote