Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 14, 2007, 9:24 PM   #1

I am only amateur but would love to perfect my photography skills. I am looking for a new camera SLR-like. I don't feel ready to commit to an SLR yet. Iwill be using this camerafor family pics., still life and landscape mostly. If anyone has any help it would be greatly appreciated. I have done research but still feel quite unsure... there are so many options! I was leaning towards a Fujifilm FinePix S8000fd. Please let me know if anyone has any advice! Thanks!! -Handmaidn
handmaidn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2007, 9:59 PM   #2

A large number of digicams have lenses that only provide an angle of viewequivalent toa 35mm lens on a film camera, and many people will tell you that isn't wide enough for landscapes. Some digicams can go as wide as a 28mm lens on a film camera, and I think that's what you should look for.

The FujiFilm FinePix S8000fd actually goes as wide as 27mm equivalent, and might be a good choice for you, though I'll defer to others on the fine points of the digicams you're interested in.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 8:48 AM   #3

What models do you think Ishouldcheck into? Which should I definitely stay away from?I have always heard canons and nikons are usually the best. I have done some research but am so overwhelmed by the many different choices. Thanks for all the help!! -Handmaidn
handmaidn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 11:06 AM   #4

The Fuji 8000fd is an ultrazoom, with an 18x lens. If you're only interested in 18x ultrazooms, that narrows the field considerably.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 1:30 PM   #5

TCav wrote:
Quote:
A large number of digicams have lenses that only provide an angle of viewequivalent toa 35mm lens on a film camera, and many people will tell you that isn't wide enough for landscapes. Some digicams can go as wide as a 28mm lens on a film camera, and I think that's what you should look for.
As an alternative for landscapes, giving a much wider choice of cameras, consider modest panorama stitching . Look for a camera with a good 'panorama' feature built in, or try stitching overlapping shots with the free Autostich . I took this 3-shot pano of my home village this afternoon, automatically with my Kodak Z712is. The original stands up to examination quite well. A two-shot pano will give you a wider shot, what is often all that I'm after when shooting landscapes.

I'd have done better to do it right to left and not L-R, so the exposure would have locked on the first shot.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote