Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 15, 2007, 4:15 PM   #1

Hello to all, I need the a little bit of help. I'm moving up from a Fuji S7000 to either a Canon XTI or Canon D40. My delima is that since I'm saving up for a Canon Camera should I go for the XTI or hold out a little longer and get the D40. I'm what you would call a little above a amateur and knocking on the enthuist door. I did own a Canon before the digital age (Canon AE-1) and I have extra lens but I don't think that they will work with the XTI or the D40 or will they and if so on which one that will also be a factor. If I do decide on the XTI because of its small size I will have to get the BG-E3 battery grip and I wil also buy an extra lens some where in the 70-200 or higher range and a flash. Now I'm thinking here in town (Tampa Fl) I should be able to get the whole thing for maybe $900 at the lowest end and maybe $1200 at the highest end. So I'm thinking if I spend $1200 at the highest end I should just go for the D40 with a kit lens and then save up latter for the other lens. Alright gang.. I'm open for anyone input
dbrown7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:17 PM   #2

Before I go any further, I want to say that they are both fine cameras.

The Canon has a 10MP image sensor while the D40 has only a 6MP image sensor. The D40 does take some great shots, but if you're going to enlarge beyond 8x10 or are going to crop or do a lot of post processing, I think you'd be better off if you could start with 10MP filesinstead of 6MP.

The XTi has 9 autofocus points so it would be better for action shots like sports and wildlife, than the D40 and it's 3 autofocus points.

Canon and Nikon make some of the best lenses in the world, but almost all of Canon's lenses will work with the XTi, while only about 1/3 of Nikon's lenses will autofocus on the D40 (or the D40x). In addition, only about 1/3 of Sigma's lenses will autofocus on the D40 (and the D40x), and none of Tamron's or Tokina's lenses will. That narrows down your choice of lenses for the D40, and the biggest sin is that most of Nikons best lenses won't autofocus on the D40.

So unless you really know what types of lenses you need for the type of photography you'll do, I think you'd probably be better off with the Canon.

There are, however, many other considerations, and I look forward to the contributions of the other regulars here (that's how the really exciting discussions about image stabilization, lenses, noise,and megapixels get started!), as well as an explanation from you as to what type(s) of photography you are interested in.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 2:53 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I think the OP was actually talking about the Canon 40D rather than the Nikon D40 as his alternate to the XTI.

As to which is best a great deal comes down to personal preference in how the cameras handle.

The image quality of the two cameras is very very similar, but the 40D is a far better camera.

The most important differences to me are:
1. 40D has a much bigger and brighter viewfinder.
2. Better high-ISO performance.
3. Better colour depth (14-bit v 12-bit).
4. Better AF + faster fps for action photography.
5. Bigger and more solid, better build quality.

I personally don't like the way the XTI feels in my hands, it's too small and light and plasticky, and the viewfinder is too dim. So you really need to handle them to decide whether you have a preference. My personal preference is to save a bit longer and go for the better camera or lens. As with most things in life quality doesn't cost any more in the long run, even though you may have to pay more up front.

As to image quality however the differences are very small, the skill of the photographer will be far more important in any comparison than the differences between the cameras.

This is true of practically all DSLRs on the market today - for most purposes most of them are fine. The possible exception is with action photography (sport and wildlife) where the equipment matters a bit more and you really want to start with something like the 40D or Nikon D200 and move up from there.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:10 PM   #4

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
I think the OP was actually talking about the Canon 40D rather than the Nikon D40 as his alternate to the XTI.
Oops.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:19 PM   #5

My bad, I was talking about the Canon EOS 40D. That what I get for trying to do two things at once..
Old Nov 16, 2007, 2:46 PM   #6

Sorry about the typo Tcav, mainly I just like to shoot Still Life, Urban/Landscape and maybe a portrait and thats pushing it for me with the portrait. So far thanks for the great input from you and Peripatetic
Old Nov 16, 2007, 4:28 PM   #7

dbrown7 wrote:
Quote:
... mainly I just like to shoot Still Life, Urban/Landscape and maybe a portrait and thats pushing it for me with the portrait. ...
Still life is usually indoors/low light (I think) so you'd need a large aperture lens, probably a normal to medium telephoto. Canon has the 50mm f/1.8 that would probably do well for that. And it would work well for portraits as well. It goes for about $80, or you can get Canon's 50mm f/1.4 for about $280.

Urban/Landscape should probably be a wide angle zoom with a large aperture. Tamron has a17-50mm f/2.8 and Sigma has an 18-50mm f/2.8, either of which would do well. I've got the Tamron and like it a lot. They go for about $450.

Unfortunately, for what you want to do, the kit lens would probably go unused, so you might be better off buying just the body. And the Tamron and Sigma are better than Canon's kit lens anyway.